Sage I Stamped TAICHUNG TAIWAN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

Tsujigiri wrote:That's weird. My Al Mar just says "Product of Japan," not "Seki City, Japan."
Your Al Mar may be made by Moki. The models they make for Spyderco just say "Japan" on them.
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
sal

Post by sal »

flash900 wrote:Are all three current Sages made in this factory and will they all carry the same branding?
Hi Flash.

Yes. I might add that they were the only maker that was willing to try my crazy idea of one pattern with many different locks.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Tsujigiri wrote:That's weird. My Al Mar just says "Product of Japan," not "Seki City, Japan."
Hi Tsujigiri,

Al Mar knives went through a maker change after Mr. Al Mar passed away. The early maker used Seki-City to distinguish a difference. The new maker used Japan only for the same reason.

sal,
flash900

Post by flash900 »

sal wrote:Hi Flash.

Yes. I might add that they were the only maker that was willing to try my crazy idea of one pattern with many different locks.

sal
Thanks, Sal.

Good for them -- and for us -- the Sages are really wonderful folders.

Now I'm looking forward to the Chaparral. Please let us know when you can which quarter we might see it.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Thanks, that makes sense. Although both Japanese manufacturers seem to make some nice knives.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

As a hard-core Marine I was a bit reluctant in purchasing a Sage due to it's assembly origin. It didn't help that my co-worker who carries nothing but old Schrades made a comment. I was a bit miffed that I had to "explain" the quality factor to him but he had never heard of or held a Spydie. I did trade the knife for a Para 2 but I'll be damned if I didn't miss the Sage horribly. I sold the P2 (have a soft spot for the originals) and bought another Sage 1. I don't give a hoot what it says anymore as I am the one carrying and using the knife and it is flawless!

Just don't let the makers put Ooh Eee Ooh Ah Ah, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang on it! :D
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Good post, sir...here's another way to look at it...much American blood and treasure has been devoted to a free and prosperous Taiwan. The Sage series is just one small reflection of the success of those efforts.
Leatherneck wrote:As a hard-core Marine I was a bit reluctant in purchasing a Sage due to it's assembly origin. It didn't help that my co-worker who carries nothing but old Schrades made a comment. I was a bit miffed that I had to "explain" the quality factor to him but he had never heard of or held a Spydie. I did trade the knife for a Para 2 but I'll be damned if I didn't miss the Sage horribly. I sold the P2 (have a soft spot for the originals) and bought another Sage 1. I don't give a hoot what it says anymore as I am the one carrying and using the knife and it is flawless!

Just don't let the makers put Ooh Eee Ooh Ah Ah, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang on it! :D
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

The manufacturer of my new Zulu from Taichung most definitely deserves to be proud of their work!

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
edlex

Post by edlex »

Just got my new sage 1 today and I noticed the addition of the city name that I had not seen in the youtube reviews. I have to admit though these manufacturers have every reason to be proud. This knife is absolutely flawless. BTW it has a Jan 2011 build date.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have to agree...the Sage i had was easily as nice as any Golden knife i've owned...the fit and finish was flawless on that knife. If i had it my way i would buy all my knives out of Golden, but i don't feel the least bit bad buying these knives. The quality is up to par for sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Taichung is for me a mark of excellence. My Bradley doesn't have the mark but I believe it was made there. PPT is proudly marked and rightfully so. The others I have handled, Sage2 and Chokwe rightfully fit the brand Taichung promotes. Exquisite fit and finish. My thanks to the maker and Spyderco for providing such fine work and attention to detail in a production environment. They are outstanding :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Dune

Post by Dune »

My new Sage 1 is marked Taichung Taiwan and the craftmanship of this knife is OUTSTANDING...this knife will always have a place in my EDC lineup!! It's just too good of a knife to sell or trade away.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Taichung is the new Golden.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Like many, I have knives from Taichung, Seki City, and Golden. I'd rate them all equal in fit, finish, and overall quality. My top 3 knives span these three locations: My EDC Stretch CF from Seki City, work-friendly Leaf Storm from Golden, CO, USA, Earth, and DC-friendly Bob T. from Taichung. All three are exemplary products all the way around and well-suited to their tasks.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder: