Is the Spyderco Edge being phased out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Just wanted to jump in with my two cents about CE's. MY CE Millie gives me a small serrated portion with about as much plain edge as a Delica. Based on my uses it is probably the perfect compromise. That being the point, based on my uses. Office or dress I will carry plain edge. For outdoor work I like having that small section of serrations.

Regrettably for me and CE fans there are less and less of them coming. No hard feelings about the business decisions being made, just a fact of life. Luckily I probably have enough CE blades to last me a lifetime.
arnon

you can do it yourself

Post by arnon »

JD Spydo

Dance with the one that brung you

Post by JD Spydo »

I personally think that Spyderco should offer all of their knives in Spyderedge even if it has to be on a Special-Order basis. Because I would gladly pay extra for a Temperance II with a Spyderedge even if I had to pay extra and wait a while to get it.

Sure if the customer demand is much better for the plain edged variants then by all means go ahead and the give the customer base what they desire. But on the other hand don't let them forget what got them where they are today.

They are a lot of us that do indeed use the specially designed serrations that Spyderco has brought us and those needs won't go away either.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Nice job Arnon. Wish I had the tools to do that, not sure if I could match Spyderco's which are probably the best I have ever used.

I would second JD Spydo's post. I would be more than willing to special order CE's or full SE's if the option was available.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The prob is spyderco is a manufacturer not a custom shop. Doing mods is an industry it's just not their industry.

There are plenty of comparable models current and discontinued. Aquasalt SE and Jumpmaster for example. Beggars can't be choosers :( .
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

I think a lot of people who don't like Spyderedges just haven't had the chance to try one out. After all, they look a lot less versatile, are hard to sharpen, and are chisel ground. You really have to use them to appreciate them. Just got my Assist the other day, and is slices through cardboard like a laser, much better than even other serrated knives I own. I'll have to take a look at the other serrated blades Spyderco has....
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

I sure don't mind picking up the SE Spyderco's on closeout prices. I just ordered a Stretch 2 SE at a darn good price. :)
ReGZ_93

Post by ReGZ_93 »

I own more spyderco with teeth than the plain edge. I think people tend to underestimate the versatility of spyderco serrations.

I really hope that spyderco does not abandon them entirely.
EzGoingKev

Post by EzGoingKev »

ReGZ_93 wrote:I own more spyderco with teeth than the plain edge. I think people tend to underestimate the versatility of spyderco serrations.
IMO the biggest thing that keeps people from going serrated is that is is a PIA to sharpen them compared to a plain edge.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can only speak for myself. I'm sixty five and, in some respects, set in my ways. One of those is the habit of cutting certain things by pushing them against the blade with my thumb. I can do that with a plain edged knife, even if the blade is "scary sharp". With a serrated blade, one or more puncture wounds are the inevitable result.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

EzGoingKev wrote:IMO the biggest thing that keeps people from going serrated is that is is a PIA to sharpen them compared to a plain edge.

SE edges stay sharp longer...like twice as long if not more. Sharpening one may take twice as long but PE is far more sensitive to details like angle and burrs. Depending on your sharpening method SE and PE can sharpen at the same rate.

There are pros and cons for each. Sadly for SE there are half again as many cons which are driven by unsubstantiated opinions. *cough* *rumors*
EzGoingKev

Post by EzGoingKev »

Blerv wrote: There are pros and cons for each. Sadly for SE there are half again as many cons which are driven by unsubstantiated opinions. *cough* *rumors*
Go over to M4Carbine.net and look through their edged section.

There are a multitude of posts over there stating people stay away from serrated or combo edges because they are a PIA to correctly sharpen.

It doesn't matter what it is, it is driving sales and sales drives production.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Also being a fan of serrations, I do think that it is a shame in some cases about discontinuation of SE models - but if you look through the catalog you will find that there are still plenty of models with them available, and some ONLY available with SE (rescues, the byrd hawkbill, jumpmaster, etc). I used to carry an SE exclusively because that's what worked for me. Now I find that I use a PE more often, but I still greatly prefer to have both available, and I think that SE is really the right tool for the job for many tasks, whether a PE could do it or not. I can't fault Spyderco for making the knives that are proven to sell, but there are some models that I can see continued usefulness in SE despite sales figures (e.g. having both a PE and SE military would be a fearsome combination). I think a small niche market could well be served by some custom makers in serrating PE blades.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Also, EzGoingKev, welcome to the forums! I hope you find them as enjoyable and informative as I do!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

EzGoingKev wrote:Go over to M4Carbine.net and look through their edged section.

There are a multitude of posts over there stating people stay away from serrated or combo edges because they are a PIA to correctly sharpen.

It doesn't matter what it is, it is driving sales and sales drives production.
I believe you that people have problems. I'll stick to this forum tho, the one that makes serrated knives and sharpeners :) .

My only point is there is a ton of dogma out there. I've got an AUS8 Dragonfly that's cut through dozens of cardboard boxes and it's still sharp. Hitting the teeth and back bevel isn't that hard with proper equipment.
ceya

Post by ceya »

EzGoingKev wrote:IMO the biggest thing that keeps people from going serrated is that is is a PIA to sharpen them compared to a plain edge.
Not with the SharpMaker from Spyderco, plus serrations stay sharp longer anyway.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!