Looking for edc defence knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Check out the Manix2. It's a beefy chunk of awesome for not much coin :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Best performing Spyderco Self-Defense knives are:
Yojimbo
Ronin Adventura
Chinook I and II
Waved Endura
Spyderhawk
Rock Salt
Street Beat
Mas Ayoob PE or SE
Merlin
Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Dr. Snubnose
What are your views on the Matriarch? I have been wanting a Civilian but just could not afford one right now so i picked up a SE Matriarch.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I overlooked the Manix2 in thinking about a sub-$100.00 knife for the OP. Hmmm, an Endura or Manix2 for SD? That would be a close call (win-win). Right now, I'm thinking the little extra length of the Endura (96mm) might be welcome in a SD situation more than the 86mm of the Manix2. But you truly can't go wrong either way. However, like one post said, , , , for $100.00 you can score an Endura and a Drone, and there's a lot to be said for having a training tool like the Drone to build muscle memory.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

gunnut35 wrote:Dr. Snubnose
What are your views on the Matriarch? I have been wanting a Civilian but just could not afford one right now so i picked up a SE Matriarch.
Really cool knife, I love mine,,,but you can't thrust with one...sooooo, not my SD choice...SE not as good as PE....SE tends to get caught up on clothing reducing it's effectiveness...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

well you could always make ur own "wave" with a ziptie and it works well but the actual wave is more reliable. so id go with the endura wave
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
M i t c h

Post by M i t c h »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Best performing Spyderco Self-Defense knives are:
Yojimbo
Ronin Adventura
Chinook I and II
Waved Endura
Spyderhawk
Rock Salt
Street Beat
Mas Ayoob PE or SE
Merlin
Doc :D
Do you think that the waved endura would be the best choice within my price range?

Looking around - the yojimbo has good reviews but it seems like the new model is not being released until the end of 2011

Lastly, i'm not sure if blades with a spyderhawk styled shape would be optimal due to reduced stabbing capabilities.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

M i t c h wrote:Do you think that the waved endura would be the best choice within my price range?

Looking around - the yojimbo has good reviews but it seems like the new model is not being released until the end of 2011

Lastly, i'm not sure if blades with a spyderhawk styled shape would be optimal due to reduced stabbing capabilities.
Mitch, I think either the Waved or Regular Endura would be fine...I favor the waved version...You are correct about the spyderhawk but it is a very good slicer...Doc :D

M i t c h

Post by M i t c h »

Alright,
Thanks for the helpful advice Dr. Snubnose :)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Military or a Police 3 g10 would be my choices.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Howlix

Post by Howlix »

The Endura is an awesome knife. I own two for LE duty use. A FFG and saber ground version. As many have mentioned there are drones for training use and as you can imagine, if there is a drone, there are ample materials out there for training. If you own a glock, lone wolf distributors has a version of the endura with a built in fold out glock tool which is very nice to have (albeit unnecessary).

I have recently also fallen in love with the Manix for regular duty use. The orange S30V is my current EDC duty knife and I freaking love it.
EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

I carry a manix 2 in my back right hand pocket, and a spyderhawk in my back leff. I carry the spyderhawk in the same position as if it were in the right front pocket, so when the blade opens(via zip-tie) its inverted. It takes a little bit of practice but its a nasty blade and will do the trick.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

M i t c h wrote: Lastly, i'm not sure if blades with a spyderhawk styled shape would be optimal due to reduced stabbing capabilities.
Are you trained in knife fighting? The Civilian was developed specifically as an SD tool for people with no knife training. I suspect that it's easier to slash than to stab if you don't have any experience knife fighting, but I wouldn't know since I don't know anything about knife combat. The Spyderhawk should behave in a similar manner to the Civilian, although the tip is thicker because its primary purpose is utility.
EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

I am not a "well" trained knife fighter, however I do have some training. In my opinion slashing is better than stabbing, but situation dictates procedure, slashing may not be the best for every situation(hence the manix). I carry the spyderhawk on my off side to give myself options, and I also think the civilian might get you in trouble deppending on local laws, and the hawk can be more easily passed off as a utility knife. "The best knife for self deffense is the one that's in your hand when you need it". The other thing I think is important is to think outside the box, when defending yourself there are NO rules.
:spyder:My mind is the sharpest weapon I have, my spyderco is the second!;)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

First off, I question the wisdom of budgeting the purchase of a weapon you intend to depend on for life and limb. Secondly, I think your choice should have a lot to do with the system of physical security you subscribe to. Thirdly, I just wanted to be read aloud when this thread becomes exhibit A for the prosecution :p .

Bah, I kid. You can't really go wrong. Every Spyderco knife I have ever owned was sharp, locked up solidly, and persistently failed to break under everything approaching normal use (and a few things outside that definition). In my mind, that makes them ALL usable self defense implements. I've a bit of instruction here and there in a few disciplines that included edged weapons training... not nearly as much as some of the people here, but some. I would say that size matters. Get the longest knife that is legal in your area, within your budget, and which you can carry without excessive discomfort. I say excessive because the immortal words of Clint Smith about concealed firearms also apply to concealed knives... they are supposed to be comforting rather than comfortable. A well trained fighter might not need a 5 inch knife to incapacitate an attacker... but they practice precision strikes and all manner of physical voodoo meant to cause an attacker to reevaluate their life decisions up to that moment. I, not having reached that level of skill, would rather have a machete than a stockman :) . Also... grip matters. Doesn't matter what knife you keep in your pocket if it ends up on the floor across the room. I love my SS handled knives, but if I was buying a dedicated self defense implement... I'd go with something less slippery. Ergos help too, of course, but in a high stress situation... you want to be able to use the stupid thing no matter where your hand happens to grab it. :p . So try not to go overboard with em'.

It sounds like you are leaning towards the Endura, good choice. I hope that you consider all the advice others have already offered towards obtaining a trainER and some trainING, if you haven't had any of the latter already. I'm between instructors at the moment... so some of my battle buddies and I just get together and run scenarios or spar at the gym with plastic pistols and rubber knives. It is a good workout and develops muscle memory... both of which will help you out if you can't extricate yourself from a bad situation by any means other than a knife. Something to consider if there isn't some street based combatives instruction available in your area.

Anyway, good luck Mitch, welcome to the forums.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
EDCTAC

Post by EDCTAC »

Solid advice, and I also agree on the endura. My first spyder was an endura 4 combo, and it hold a special place in my heart.
:spyder:My mind is the sharpest weapon I have, my spyderco is the second!;)
v8r

Post by v8r »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Really cool knife, I love mine,,,but you can't thrust with one...sooooo, not my SD choice...SE not as good as PE....SE tends to get caught up on clothing reducing it's effectiveness...Doc :D
Forgot to mention it gets bonus points for being scary looking :D

Was a handgun a choice? :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
M i t c h

Post by M i t c h »

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the advice regarding knives and training Jordan and edctac
Got me for a second at the beginning Jordan :p

Anyways, regarding a couple previous posts I have not received any training with edged weapons. I intend to though, and everyone has been very helpful through your posts. Great community in these forums.

Rather then ordering online, I am hoping i get a chance to go to my local knife store. Hopefully I will get a first hand look at the different enduras available because I am still unsure about waved, sabre and ffg.
M i t c h

Post by M i t c h »

v8r wrote:Forgot to mention it gets bonus points for being scary looking :D

Was a handgun a choice? :D
Haha - who wants a handgun when you can have a spyderco knife :)

On a side note, handguns aren't legal for civilians where I live.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Scary looking is never a bonus for me. I prefer innocuous looking and wicked performing.