Knives Spyderco needs to fill the gaps.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BHDKnifer

Knives Spyderco needs to fill the gaps.

Post by BHDKnifer »

What do you think is missing? I think we need a sprint run of Mr.Janick's very nice Endura. A new dodo and yojimbo. A 1/2 serrated ladybug 3. A sheepfoot (rescue) ladybug 3. A 1/2 serrated black blade manix II. A VG-10 black frn merlin. We have the stainless and carbon fiber harps and the H-1's, but no VG-10 frn merlin. The Goddard line-up is missing a frn burgandy plain blade, a full flat grind burgandy plain blade would sure be nice. And a yellow 1/2 serrated Goddard. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BHDKnifer wrote:What do you think is missing? I think we need a sprint run of Mr.Janick's very nice Endura. A new dodo and yojimbo. A 1/2 serrated ladybug 3. A sheepfoot (rescue) ladybug 3. A 1/2 serrated black blade manix II. A VG-10 black frn merlin. We have the stainless and carbon fiber harps and the H-1's, but no VG-10 frn merlin. The Goddard line-up is missing a frn burgandy plain blade, a full flat grind burgandy plain blade would sure be nice. And a yellow 1/2 serrated Goddard. Take care.
Janich's Endura is a custom ground piece. They couldn't do a sprint without doing the grinding back at Spyderco or redesigning it. A that point it's not really a sprint. :(

Dodo and Yo are in the process. The Merlin is more or less available as a H1 Tasman.

Those are interesting ideas and sound like nice knives. I'd like a Goddard in PE but since CE is the edge of choice I don't know if we are gonna see one for a while. A Goddard Salt sounds like a good idea and would work with the yellow.

For me I would love a Spyderco Tomahawk which they have been tooling around with from what I recall. A H1 gent's folder would be cool (cento3 with H1 and a Ti bug emblem!). Maybe a hawkbill snubby rescue knife. A Byrd Ronin would be great handle scales or not.

I'm eating up Schempp's ethnic designs. Folding Golok/Kujang/Tanto...anything weird he could do I would snatch up. :D

Really Spyderco doesn't have any "gaps" in my mind. They make a TON of knives in the most eccentric spread of materials and shapes imaginable. For me it's more of a "wish list" than a necessity.
DevilDog1833

Post by DevilDog1833 »

I've been longing for Golden to put out a lockable FRN knife with a blade length that is less than three inches. Think of a locking UKPK - maybe a US Clasp Knife (USCK). On second thought, USCK is too close to U SuCK, so it would have to be called something else :p .

I know the Caly 3 is similar to the UKPK, but I get a sense of personal satisfaction from buying a quality product that was made right here in the U. S. of A. The Native 5, with its 3 inch blade, will be close (when it comes out in FRN), but for some strange reason I'm not that into Natives.

So to recap: lockable UKPK. If you build it... I will buy one in every shape and color - just don't tell my wife :D .
Military (G10, PE), Endura II (SS, PE), 93mm Rescue (FRN, SE), Delica (G10, PE), Delica (FRN, CE), Delica Wave (FRN, SE), Delica Wave Trainer (FRN), UKPK Rescue (G10, PE), UKPK Drop Point (G10, PE), Dragonfly (SS, PE), Ladybug (SS, PE), Medowlark (G10, CE), Crow (Aluminum, CE)
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

BHDKnifer wrote:...A sheepfoot (rescue) ladybug 3...
This has already been done. Look up the Ladybug II. Granted, it's not the latest version, but a Rescue Ladybug HAS been made.
16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I hope the Dodo and Yojimbo 2 come out with color scales rather than black, also I wish they'd be regular production models rather than sprints.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Lil Temperance 2 would be nice.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

SteelDragon wrote:Lil Temperance 2 would be nice.
You took the words right out of my mouth, SteelDragon.

Been following the one that is currently on fleabay - but its getting too rich for my blood. I've only handled one of the Lil Temperances a long time ago - they are really really cool.

[chanting]
Lil Temperance 2!
Lil Temperance 2!
Lil Temperance 2!
Lil Temperance 2!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

...or, how about an ATR-2?

TedP
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3.5" version in the Delica and Endura series. We could call it the Janicha. :p

I want a small compression lock like the S, but without the designs on it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

devildog1833 wrote:
so to recap: Lockable ukpk. If you build it... I will buy one in every shape and color - just don't tell my wife :d.
+1 I would love a lockback UKPK

Ladybug II

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Sithus1966 wrote:+1 I would love a lockback UKPK
Isn't that called a Caly3 with screw-together construction ... or is it the UKPK's S30V steel you like?

To me a 'gap' would be a kind of knife that Spyderco don't make yet that other manufacturers do. That's a really tricky one but perhaps a Caly3 with a bottle-opener and screwdriver attachment? :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Donut wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a 3.5" version in the Delica and Endura series. We could call it the Janicha. :p
I would call it the Stretch.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DevilDog1833

Post by DevilDog1833 »

It's not a Caly, but here's your bottle opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dRvQsJa2E
Military (G10, PE), Endura II (SS, PE), 93mm Rescue (FRN, SE), Delica (G10, PE), Delica (FRN, CE), Delica Wave (FRN, SE), Delica Wave Trainer (FRN), UKPK Rescue (G10, PE), UKPK Drop Point (G10, PE), Dragonfly (SS, PE), Ladybug (SS, PE), Medowlark (G10, CE), Crow (Aluminum, CE)
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

ChrisR wrote:Isn't that called a Caly3 with screw-together construction ... or is it the UKPK's S30V steel you like?
D
No, I just like the price of the UKPK's but would like a lock. Looks like the Chaparral is about the same as the UKPK's, but at what cost would be my only question, since the current pictures are only in bloody carbon fiber.
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

- a large version of the Captain
- a medium Chinese in Ti handles
- ATR 2
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I'm eating up Schempp's ethnic designs. Folding Golok/Kujang/Tanto...anything weird he could do I would snatch up.
I agree that almost every one of Ed's designs "trips my trigger" and checkbook :)

EDIT --- and another BALISONG or Two !!!!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Sithus1966 wrote:No, I just like the price of the UKPK's but would like a lock. Looks like the Chaparral is about the same as the UKPK's, but at what cost would be my only question, since the current pictures are only in bloody carbon fiber.
Ahhh, so you mean an FRN lock-back UKPK? I think there must have been something like that in the past (like the Caly) but not sure about the disco'd models :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

The knife I would like to see made more than anything would be a 3.5" original Manix. Keep all the features that made the Manix a classic but shorten the blade a little to make it legal where I live.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

We have a Paramilitary with a 3 3/32" blade and a Paramilitary 2 with a 3 14/32" blade.

Where, my friends is the Para with the 3 9/32" blade!?!? We have a gap!

Sorry to make fun of the premise but I find every non-kitchen knife need I have to be filled by multiple Spydercos; I don't see a gap in the model lineup.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the Tuff and Yojimbo 2 are going to fill two spots i wish were in the line up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David