Ever thought of a Strider/Spyderco collab model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frapiscide

Ever thought of a Strider/Spyderco collab model?

Post by Frapiscide »

I'm not sure if this is even possible, since some of your... beliefs, I can't think of a better word, conflict between each other, but It'd be interesting to see what could come out of a collab between Spdyerco's designers and Strider's.

Just a random thought that came to mind that I wanted to share...
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS

Post by 5.56 »

The inner knuckle dragger in me says "heck yeah"

.............and in before the lock

:D
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a great idea and I think someone brought it up in the past. I don't believe either company has approached the idea.

Sometimes things don't click between companies which isn't good or bad. I love Nachos and Pizza but don't mix the two.
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

Blerv wrote: Sometimes things don't click between companies which isn't good or bad. I love Nachos and Pizza but don't mix the two.
You don't ? It's a delicacy in my country :D
But yeah, collabs usually turn out to pretty cool for some reason, so I don't see a reason why this one shouldn't.
A nice Spydie with a nightmare grind :eek:
unit

Post by unit »

What influences from Strider would you like in a Spyderco?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

unit wrote:What influences from Strider would you like in a Spyderco?
I guess looking back at why I liked looking at Striders is because of asthetics, that, and I could depend on it in a SHTF situation, where I might have to use it for more than just a cutting tool. I can't say a whole lot, since I've never owned a strider, I can't afford them.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

nah bad idea gonna be to expensive and way to large!
and its properly gonna end as a fighting style knife.... i like knives as tools not as weapons!

Post by 5.56 »

unit wrote:What influences from Strider would you like in a Spyderco?
hmmmm.....

USA made flamed Ti framelock
Thick G10 slab
Folding pry-bar, known for it's simple, yet durable construction.
Beefy Pivot
Tiger Striped S30v blade with forward choil

Nah, you couldn't possibly be interested in anything like that.

-Rob

Knuckle dragger
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

5.56 wrote:hmmmm.....

USA made flamed Ti framelock
Thick G10 slab
Folding pry-bar, known for it's simple, yet durable construction.
Beefy Pivot
Tiger Striped S30v blade with forward choil
so actually you need to get a strider and drill a 13mm hole in the blade? :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm surprised on so many of the high end knives, use a lock that relies on the thumb stud for support. IMO, that is a failure on the design board. Does Strider make any knives that don't do this?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Donut wrote:I'm surprised on so many of the high end knives, use a lock that relies on the thumb stud for support. IMO, that is a failure on the design board. Does Strider make any knives that don't do this?
How is that a failure on the design board? :confused: The "thumbstud" on a Strider is a stop pin first,not a thumb stud (which is why Striders have holes for opening) although because of its placement it can be used as a thumbstud. Hinderer XM models use stop pins that double as thumb studs and Chris Reeve folders do the same Does this mean some of the most respected makers didn't design their knives correctly? :rolleyes:

Strider has one folder that comes to mind that doesn't utilize a stop pin. Look up the "SJ75" I personally think it is a fugly folder but hey different strokes for different folks ;)

I think a Striderco or Spider would be a great idea, although I have seen threads with this idea brought up before and it usually turns into a pissing match about the Maker and not the knives :rolleyes:

Think to the Buck/Strider collabs... They used the same handle shapes and blade profiles and utilized different materials and blade steels... If Spyderco and Strider teamed up to make a knife something that would be a dream come true for me would be the utilization of Spydercos H1 bladesteel in a Strider style handle and blade profile, but with a Spyderhole not a Striderhole. It could be a ti framelock with a g10 front side, or it could be G10 with a pinned or screw construction so that it could be rust proof. :cool:

Not stopping there though they could make one with VG10 or CTS.

Something else I would reallly like to see would using Spydercos Digital Camo G10 handles and their DLC coating on the blade and hardware with a Strider handle and blade profile. Using a CTS XHP steel or something other than S30V would be a really awesome knife IMHO. :D

Both companies make OUTSTANDING knives and regardless of what people think of Mick I think you should leave that out of this thread because we all know where it will go if we start debating around here... I have had good ownership experiences with both knife companies. :)
Vic
PaulVB

Post by PaulVB »

I can't justify the money on a Strider either, but I sure would love to have one. A collaboration with Spyderco, and some camo on the knife and I'd be a goner.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I don't beat the heck out of my knives, so I never felt the need to buy a Strider. But I was curious enough to pick one up at a show to see how it felt in hand. Answer; very good. I was pleasantly surprised, but not enough to buy one. My favorite "hard use" knifes are Elishewitz models.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Isn't this what the Ed Schempp Tuff supposed to be? Not a Striber collaboration obviously, but it's being designed to withstand the hardest conditions. I believe it has all those features you're looking for in a potential Strider collaboration.
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I'd much rather see a Hinderer collaboration. Striders don't tickle my fancy. Plus, I'm not sure about Mick Strider and his questionable past.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

This has been brought up before, here: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39481.

Take a look, and once again I'll just say no thanks. Besides, as mentioned they're working on the Tuff, so there's no reason for a collaboration. Just buy a strider and grind the hole open to look as round as possible.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

An SmF/SnG with a raised thumb ramp to accommodate the round spyderco hole? No thanks.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

There is also the original Strider GB and AR that use stop pins. Both work and both are proven designs like Vic said. The Buck/Striders were okay, but I think a Spyderco/Strider would rock. Some of my favorite Spyderco models are collaborations. ...the SpyKer, Swiss made Walker, Fox made Volpe and the new Lion Steel model.... Spyderco only makes a dozen or so folders in thier USA factory, so why not another collab? If you want to be technical, many models are collabs with Moki or Seki or some other Japanese cutlery company...maybe not based on design, but on what the factory can offer in a model for the best cost.

BTW: If you shear a stop pin out of a Strider from hard use and not destructive abuse; then they fix it....simple.
...oh you know why!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I'm not sure about Mick Strider and his questionable past.
I think questionable is a bit too polite a term to describe the strider background. Count me out. I buy spydies because the company is founded by a man of impeccable integrity. The strider pedigree is something I have deliberately avoided associating myself with. I would also add that strider and spyderco have diametrically opposed philosophies where spyderco believes knives should be used as cutting tools specifically strider designs theirs deliberately to contradict that. Being a former user gives me ever greater appreciation for spyderco's ability to make knives which actually cut. STR on bladeforms makes Ti prybars. If you want a pocket prybar I suggest you buy one of those. For cutting purposes I'll stick to purpose built tools like spyderco makes.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

It is my greatest hope that not one cent that I earn from the sweat of my brow finds it's way into Mick Strider's hands. I would not purchase such a collaboration.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright