Ever thought of a Strider/Spyderco collab model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Never been a fan of Mr. Strider's stuff. I find them inelegant and lacking in aesthetic merit despite their ridiculous price point.

It's a thick chunk of steel, y'all. Of course, it's tough. :rolleyes:
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

...oh you know why!
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Blerv wrote:It's a great idea and I think someone brought it up in the past. I don't believe either company has approached the idea.

Sometimes things don't click between companies which isn't good or bad. I love Nachos and Pizza but don't mix the two.
mmmmm nachos and pizza. Just remembered i need to get off here and eat something.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

demtek9 wrote:Some of you guys are forgetting: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28093
Actually, given the subject... in my view everyone is being remarkably civil. I spent several minutes wording my reply in as inoffensive a manner as possible while still expressing my PERSONAL distaste for such a collaboration. :) If anyone read hostility or antagonism, perhaps that is due more to the subject than the source.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

5.56 wrote: Tiger Striped S30v blade with forward choil

Nah, you couldn't possibly be interested in anything like that.
S30V and the forward choil... sure, but tiger striped blades are revoltingly tacky.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Between the Tuff, the Vallotton Folder, and the LionSpy, Spyderco seems to have several "hard use" knives on the horizon so am not sure what benefit a collaboration with a somewhat controversial company would bring them. Strider already uses and opening hole, so am not sure why they'd go for it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Pass.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

araneae wrote:pass.
+1
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Strider just doesn't float my boat in any respect. Aesthetically, functionally nor ethically.
I say no thanks to Strider.
Donut

Post by Donut »

StangBang wrote:How is that a failure on the design board? :confused: The "thumbstud" on a Strider is a stop pin first,not a thumb stud (which is why Striders have holes for opening) although because of its placement it can be used as a thumbstud. Hinderer XM models use stop pins that double as thumb studs and Chris Reeve folders do the same Does this mean some of the most respected makers didn't design their knives correctly? :rolleyes:
In my mind it seems unreliable. I will not buy a knife designed that way.

Yes, even if everyone else is doing it, it still seems like a bad idea. I've seen a lot of props to these makers and I have never seen props to them relying on the strength of a moving pin.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:In my mind it seems unreliable. I will not buy a knife designed that way.

Yes, even if everyone else is doing it, it still seems like a bad idea. I've seen a lot of props to these makers and I have never seen props to them relying on the strength of a moving pin.
Then I guess you won't be buying the Spyderco Vallotton collaboration model.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

5.56 wrote:hmmmm.....

Taiwan made flamed Ti framelock
Thick G10 slab
Folding pry-bar, known for it's simple, yet durable construction.
Beefy Pivot
Tiger Striped S30v blade with forward choil

Nah, you couldn't possibly be interested in anything like that.
Except Spyderco would probably have it built in Taiwan. :p
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Jordan wrote:It is my greatest hope that not one cent that I earn from the sweat of my brow finds it's way into Mick Strider's hands. I would not purchase such a collaboration.
Why?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Donut wrote:In my mind it seems unreliable. I will not buy a knife designed that way.

I don't get it. what's the difference between a moving blade against a fixed pin, or the pin mounted in the blade?

One of Benchmade's strongest lock's is all about a moving pin....
Two of Spyderco's strongest lock's work because of a moving ball bearing...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Spider bite wrote:Why?
I am afraid I can't really say. I've probably come perilously close to overstepping my bounds as it is, and I really have tried to avoid any kind of defamation. I feel strongly about the issue... and therefore felt the need to voice my opinion about a potential collaboration between the two companies. But to voice anything but my personal preference would DEFINITELY count as hostile and antagonistic towards another knife company. A quick google search will no doubt explain my views more succinctly than I could anyway. Sorry about dodging the question.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I think the promotional materials for such a knife would be epic, so I strongly support the idea.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
unit

Post by unit »

I am not in a position to judge strength or viability of design.

I think like many other things knife (liner lock vs frame lock vs lock back vs ball lock), if it is designed and executed well, it will work well and yield sufficient strength.

The real question here (I think) is would you be interested in a knife that incorporates the "best" of both designers. Lets assume that the quality of the end product would meet the standards and requirements of both Spyderco and Strider.

We can speculate with regard to integrity of character, integrity of design, and even willingness to work together, but honestly, I don't think that sort of discussion is healthy for this forum. I think it will be safe to say, Spyderco will never knowingly allow a bad or dangerous design to be produced with their name on it....that said, would you support it?

In that regard...I would not be interested in such a collaboration. The reasons are not important, but basically, many of the features that many people state that they like from Strider I do not personally care for.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Can't wait for the TUF. Maybe then people will be like, "I wish they made a Stryder like the TUF." Lol.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

The Tuff left my mind when i posted this, I guess that's the knife I was looking for (Please be CPM 3V or S7). But why is Strider Controversial?
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
unit

Post by unit »

Frapiscide wrote:But why is Strider Controversial?
Go search it on Google. There is a STRONG polarity in the university...very few people know much about the Striders and remain indifferent. It seems to be either love or hate.

Some people have personal differences with or distaste for Mick Strider, some have had bad experiences with the knives, or the customer service...yet others view him as a hero and experience wonderful things with the products and service.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.