Michael Janich custom Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Well just my luck... I literally have been checking the site every single day but I just left the country 2 days ago and have been without internet til just now. A second run came out in the 2 days I didn't have internet and is now sold out again. Oh well.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

SmoothOne25 wrote:uuh i did ;) i typed it! maybe spyderco has some bugs in the system :p
you get one or two? i think he makes 50 at a time.
if he decides not to make them and sign them and regrind them make them so unique i think 2 is the right move. someday it will be a special piece of spyderco history imho
i just got one, i need to keep a complete collection of enduras so i had to get it. to me i am in agreement that it is kind of pricey for what it is but i might be missing something. either way i am glad i got one.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Michael Rigg

Post by Michael Rigg »

Just the facts.

Mike works on very small batches of these knives, 15 at a time not 50. Mike is not a factory.

I cannot prevent someone from ordering more than one knife at a time. Sorry.

More knives will be coming. There is no fixed schedule for release.

Stay Safe's Twitter feed or Facebook page is the fastest way to know when the knives will be available.

Any interest in a 2.5" Delica?

Best regards to all,

Mike
Michael C. Rigg
Stay Safe Media

Follow@StaySafeMedia
Stay Safe Media on Facebook

Certified Instructor of Martial Blade Concepts
Martial Blade Concepts
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

2.5" Delica would be good for Illinois and Massachusetts... Should be some interest if you were to make it known that you might make some if the demand is there.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Michael Rigg wrote:very small batches of these knives, 15 at a time not 50.
i thought 50 cause the select quantity button went to fifty so i thought that was the total made that could be ordered. even if some db ordered all 50 at once. i was just guessing though :o 15 is the best thing you could have said! at least to me anyway :)
Michael Rigg wrote:I cannot prevent someone from ordering more than one knife at a time
nor should you. should any company... :mad:
Michael Rigg wrote:More knives will be coming
great i can get another! :p
Michael Rigg wrote:Stay Safe's Twitter feed or Facebook page is the fastest way to know when the knives will be available
that's what i did... everyday, and call and pester people associated with it ;) then told the forum asap!
Michael Rigg wrote:Any interest in a 2.5" Delica?
by him, similar to this? laser etch/signed, all fancy from MJ himself? yeah i could probably swing it :rolleyes: :D :cool:
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

psychophipps wrote:2.5" Delica would be good for Illinois and Massachusetts... Should be some interest if you were to make it known that you might make some if the demand is there.
There is no Massachusetts blade length law. Certain cities like Boston & Worcester have length limits, but not the rest of the state.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I'll keep checking. The internet down in Saipan is pretty poor though. Just my luck the 2 days I was traveling it was released.

I would also be interested in a 2.5'' Delica. Thanks for the updates.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

mongatu wrote:I guess I just don't see the appeal and value here. I like the Endura (stock FFG version) for it's ~4 inch flat ground VG-10 blade and overall quality and features for its reasonable and modest cost. But if I'm going to spend over $100, I would much rather have a stock Para 2 which is a considerably higher end knife (imo, of course) that is well suited for SD purposes (among other things), has lightening quick deployment, super strong compression lock, comes standard with a blade length of 3-7/16th, and is available for a bit less money than the modified Endura. But that's just me. . . I'm probably missing something. :confused: :)
Yes, you are missing something. But I don't have the time to educate you on who Mr. Janich is or why this knife is so special. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

BHDKnifer wrote:Yes, you are missing something. But I don't have the time to educate you on who Mr. Janich is or why this knife is so special. Take care.
I know who Mr. Janich is from watching some of his videos but I don't see why the mods in question add so much value to an Endura apart from the fact they are done by him personally. I guess if that matters to you, than the knife would indeed be very special.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
fifthprofession47

Post by fifthprofession47 »

The modifications serve a few purposes. Please also keep in mind that the modified Endura was something Mike did for his private students. It was later offered through Stay Safe Media to the general public.

1. The shortened blade allows the knife to be legally carried in Colorado (where the bulk of Mike's students reside). Colorado laws limit blade length to 3.5 inches or less.

2. The lapped action is something Mike has done to his personal carry knives and is a personal preference of his. This added feature allows for a smoother deployment. You can read about this procedure in the Spring 2011 issue of FMG Publications American Handgunner: Personal Defense http://fmgstore.stores.yahoo.net/amhapede20sp5.html

3. One of the reasons the Endura is of particular interest to MBC players is because it has a dedicated trainer available. Most knives do not. This makes the a Endura popular choice among MBC practioners. We want our training knife to replicate our dedicated self-defense knife as much as possible. The same goes for the Delica/Delica trainer.

I hope those reasons put the topic in better perspective.

This was something done within the MBC community to meet specific needs of practioners and that is why the modified Endura is what it is.
"One is none and two is one"

Martial Blade Concepts - Certified Instructor

http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/
KTMADV

Post by KTMADV »

Anybody else get there endura's. This baby is sharp!They come with plastic wraped around the box and his signature across it. Image Image Image Image
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

mine was pretty sharp too, i might say the sharpest spydie that i have ever bought new, i was impressed.
My knives
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

tony i was quite horrified to see the knife was plastic wrapped! i love how he did it and it looks badass with its new sticker but the hardcore freak of collector inside me means my 2 can't be taken out of the boxes. next batch he makes i will buy an another one to "handle." i decided to safe queen both.
maybe mj can give us some info as to how many batches he plans to make and a few other specifics about the knife...how many made total in the last batch? how many were made in this batch? and was their a batch before the last two? how many total custom endura's have me been made by you? and judging by the website i see more are being made now? will the batch be bigger so a few more of our buddies and fellow forumites can get in on it? i was told by someone you only do like 15 at a time?
wow i feel kind of superior for be able to grab it while i could!

mj if you read this:
stay safe media was a+ all the way! quick shipping, excellent condition arriving to me. the model i got is, i'm assuming, flawless inside and would recommend anyone buying from ssm in the future! i love my 2 knives. i want to personally thank you!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I had a feeling that speculation would take a hold at some point since the batches are so small and there aren't any order limitations...

Interesting, but I'll pass. :)
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

Yeah, I got mine last week. I actually like the plastic wrap idea - the box is protected better, and you can tell right away that it's truly "new in box" instead of "I carried it a bunch of times but it's not dirty so it's still new in box". I almost wish that all Spyderco knives were packed that way.

Of course, my box stayed sealed for all of four seconds while I got out my Native and delicately sliced it open on one end.

I wasn't expecting to like the blade very much, but I'm actually pretty pleased with the appearance. My wife likes it too, and she's a bit unimpressed with the stock endura. Action is smooth but not loose, I'm actually hoping it loosens up a tiny bit.
marcdurant

Post by marcdurant »

SmoothOne25 wrote:will the batch be bigger so a few more of our buddies and fellow forumites can get in on it? i was told by someone you only do like 15 at a time? wow i feel kind of superior for be able to grab it while i could! [/I]
You bought two, aren't even going to open them, and you want him to make more so the other interested people can have a chance?
KTMADV

Post by KTMADV »

marcdurant wrote:Yeah, I got mine last week. I actually like the plastic wrap idea - the box is protected better, and you can tell right away that it's truly "new in box" instead of "I carried it a bunch of times but it's not dirty so it's still new in box". I almost wish that all Spyderco knives were packed that way.

Of course, my box stayed sealed for all of four seconds while I got out my Native and delicately sliced it open on one end.

I wasn't expecting to like the blade very much, but I'm actually pretty pleased with the appearance. My wife likes it too, and she's a bit unimpressed with the stock endura. Action is smooth but not loose, I'm actually hoping it loosens up a tiny bit.
I'v been giving the blade a workout and it does loosen up.Index finger flicks feel alot smoother. I like the plastic wrap too , you know it's new in box.I got a user and one to save.
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

SmoothOne25 wrote:tony i was quite horrified to see the knife was plastic wrapped! i love how he did it and it looks badass with its new sticker but the hardcore freak of collector inside me means my 2 can't be taken out of the boxes. next batch he makes i will buy an another one to "handle." i decided to safe queen both.
maybe mj can give us some info as to how many batches he plans to make and a few other specifics about the knife...how many made total in the last batch? how many were made in this batch? and was their a batch before the last two? how many total custom endura's have me been made by you? and judging by the website i see more are being made now? will the batch be bigger so a few more of our buddies and fellow forumites can get in on it? i was told by someone you only do like 15 at a time?
wow i feel kind of superior for be able to grab it while i could!

mj if you read this:
stay safe media was a+ all the way! quick shipping, excellent condition arriving to me. the model i got is, i'm assuming, flawless inside and would recommend anyone buying from ssm in the future! i love my 2 knives. i want to personally thank you!
LMAO! You like the knives but they are still in the box? How do you know without handeling them? What a waste of 2 great tools. You have to see and feel it to appreciate the time and love that went into those grinds. Take care.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

seriously, open one at least. take another spydie as was mentioned and just cut one end of the pastic wrap off.
My knives
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

These are awesome knives, a great value, and terrific for collectors.

I do suggest people who are needing such a knife and against a wall to seek out a custom option yourself. There are some very talented people who can do this type of mod, probably within your own town.

^--- That's not a knock on MJ & Co. Just an answer if demand > supply and you don't care about being official.