Police model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meshuggah

Police model

Post by Meshuggah »

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but not to forums in general. I have been collecting knives for over 10 years now. One of my favorite models is the Spyderco Police.
I have recently come across a supposedly prototype model of that Police which includes a black coating of the blade and a linerlock feature instead of a backlock.
It was supposedly handled by a Spyderco employee back in the late '80s or early '90s. Could anyone confirm or deny this ?

recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

Hmmm that is really interesting, sorry I cant help with the origin, but very interesting nontheless :)
SpyderNation #0705
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

recon1s14 wrote:Hmmm that is really interesting, sorry I cant help with the origin, but very interesting nontheless :)
It is very interesting, but also hard to verify. I was hoping there would be some (ex)employees on this forum, or maybe Sal himself would be able to give me an answer. I have decided to purchase this one nonetheless, it seems like something that would be difficult to "fake" and I have bought several other Police models from the same guy (including a Police "PIG").
rycen

Post by rycen »

Interesting. It has the curve at the belly of the military but the lines and swedge of the police. The only thing that bothers me is the area at the bottom of the blade is rounded area like it would be on a lockback. It seems to me if Spyderco wanted to make a linerlock police they wouldn't start with a blade made for a lockback. Though your prior history with the seller might add some legitimacy.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

rycen wrote: The only thing that bothers me is the area at the bottom of the blade is rounded area like it would be on a lockback. It seems to me if Spyderco wanted to make a linerlock police they wouldn't start with a blade made for a lockback.
The seller told this was the case. Spyderco was "trying out" linerlocks and just decided to modify a Police and give them to a few employees to test them out.
I guess the idea never took off but I'd love to hear the story behind it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've read that Chris Caracci had worked with Spyderco on a liner lock Police Model before jumping ship and going to Benchmade to create the AFCK. That looks like a prototype for the project. Very interesting. Hopefully, Sal will chime in and give us some history on the piece.

I like the C07 too. ;)

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Well, isn't that cool, I like it.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

I don't really like 'em ;)

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Between Yab and Mesh, we have enough to man a whole police force. :D
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

:cool: I still gotta get one, I'm likin' the FFG G-10.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I'm sorry to say that Sal is probably the only person who can answer this. He is traveling at the moment, so it might be awhile before he can respond.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

TazKristi wrote:I'm sorry to say that Sal is probably the only person who can answer this. He is traveling at the moment, so it might be awhile before he can respond.

Kristi
That's too bad. So I assume you have never heard of this "model"...
Any idea when Sal might be back ?
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

Really? Ive never heard of the "PIG" model but then again I'm a nooby Spyderco enthusiest XD
SpyderNation #0705
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The PIG model is a first generation Police (like the one at the far left of my line up) with
Pride
Integrity
Guts

engraved on the blade. For those too young to remember, that was a police response to people referring to officers as pigs.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

Aaah ok that makes sense, I just didnt put 2n2 together XD

Thanks for the info :)
SpyderNation #0705
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

yablanowitz wrote:The PIG model is a first generation Police (like the one at the far left of my line up) with
Pride
Integrity
Guts

engraved on the blade. For those too young to remember, that was a police response to people referring to officers as pigs.
Wasn't it a Ronald Reagan quote ?
dman62

Post by dman62 »

That's one they should do a sprint run of.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I collect Police models, have a PIG and have never seen a liner lock version. Thanks for sharing that.
...oh you know why!
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

Sal was asked about this model on the Amsterdam Spyderco mini-meet and we wasn't completely sure either.
The only way to confirm this model is by contacting Chris Caracci but I can't seem to find his contact info :(
gunnydave

First Edition Police Model for Trade

Post by gunnydave »

Hey guys I bought two spyderco folding knives back in the 80's one of which was a Mariner that I have carried off and on for many years and the other was a Police Model that has never been touched. From reading the forums looks like this knife is a first edition Police Model with the locking mechanism a little higher up on the spine. It is brand new never been used or even carried for that matter. I would be up for any type of trade so this beautiful knife can find it's rightful place in a great collection like the ones pictured in this thread.

From Mesh's collection I have this one:

and here is a quick pick from my phone:

I love camping and hiking so any new or used spyderco fixed blade I would be interested in possibly working a trade. I am flexible so just let me know what you are thinking if you are interested. This is a beautiful knife.

Thanks guys.