When will they learn what you hate or love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ouchyfoot

When will they learn what you hate or love.

Post by ouchyfoot »

This thread is for all the frustrated knife owners out there. Let them know...let them hear you.
I'll start the thread with...pocket clips.
Don't they realize that everyone hates high riding pocket clips. Everyone wants low profile clips...but they just won't design them. Please design them now...and give us optional replacement clips.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I find low rider clips make deployment more difficult. In most situations, I have no need to have my knife that concealed.

As for what I hate, not sure anything knife related bugs me that much.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
unit

Post by unit »

Sorry. I like them the way they are. Sometimes I modify them...but I have to admit that they start out pretty dang good before I start tweaking things.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I really don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't think you speak for everyone.

I personally like the high-ride clips like on the Military and Lil' Temperance. I don't have to hide my knife and I like to get it out quickly. I don't really care for low-ride clips and I really dislike low-ride wire clips. I don't have a Caly 3 because of the tip-up wire clip. I'll stick with the Caly Jr., because it works better for me. I don't scream at Spyderco because they made the Caly 3 that way, I just find what works and move on with life.

As to Spyderco not designing low-ride clips...take a look. There's plenty of them as of late. The high-ride clips are becoming endangered. But either way, there are those who will modify the knives to your preference. I know of one member who loves his Militaries with a low-ride tip-up clip. I can't figure out why he likes it that way, but it works for him and he's happy.

Spyderco does an impressive job of satisfying their many customers. There really is something for everyone in their lineup. Pick and choose or pick, choose and modify to taste. Your choice.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
dzarren

Post by dzarren »

I dont hate high riding clips.
I dont looooove low riders.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I do prefer my low rider wire clips over the standard clip. The advantage of concealment is not the only benefit. I feel the knife is more secure in my pocket if it rides lower, the butt end of the knife is not sticking up so I don't have to worry about scratching my car as much when I walk by, and the fact that it is better concealed allows me to carry it in most places without raising any eyebrows. I find deployment to be easier with the wire clips as a slight pull upwards and the wire clip acts as a nice smooth guide line ensuring rapid and smooth deployment.

I own many knives with standard clips and while I don't "hate" them, I will say I prefer the wire clips considerably more than the traditional pocket clip.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

ouchyfoot

Post by ouchyfoot »

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want everyones opinion.
...And not only on the clips...I was just trying to get a discussion started....on everything and any topic or problem.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ouchyfoot wrote:This thread is for all the frustrated knife owners out there. Let them know...let them hear you.
I'll start the thread with...pocket clips.
Don't they realize that everyone hates high riding pocket clips. Everyone wants low profile clips...but they just won't design them. Please design them now...and give us optional replacement clips.
What are you talking about? Maybe some people but certainly not everybody. Some of my knives are for SD and low rider clips will make them more difficult to deploy. Deploying under stress is hard enough as it is.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I honestly do not use the clip of my knives, I leave them on yes, but I just carry my knives in my pockets and don't like the idea of people knowing I am carrying a blade because:

police might stop me and confiscate it.. never had this happen but I just don't want a nice knife being taken

the chance that it might be snatched
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

The main problem I have is too many Spydies on wish list and not enough $!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Spydesense wrote:The main problem I have is too many Spydies on wish list and not enough $!
+1

Each knife has it's characteristics, and sometime the clip rides high or low and sometimes it's g-10 or SS...if you don't like an aspect of a knife, don't buy it, or mod it.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ouchyfoot wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want everyones opinion.
...And not only on the clips...I was just trying to get a discussion started....on everything and any topic or problem.
Well if you try to start it with sweeping generalizations, for sure you're gonna get a discussion. Maybe not just the way you expected. ;)
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Spydesense wrote:The main problem I have is too many Spydies on wish list and not enough $!
amen.. this exact same time last year I received :spyder: fever and it returned this same month of this year.. very strange how the fever comes in cycles..
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

Ridin high all day
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CharlesIV wrote:Ridin high all day
Yep, and one lower than the other. :D
ouchyfoot

Post by ouchyfoot »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Well if you try to start it with sweeping generalizations, for sure you're gonna get a discussion. Maybe not just the way you expected. ;)
You got thar right!!!...keep em coming.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I dont hate high riding clips. And I don't Love low riding ones. I think they both have there place. And of any place I have ever been Spyderco listens to us more than anyone. We would of never had a hawkbill ladybug if they didnt listen to us.
-John
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ouchyfoot wrote:I just want everyones opinion.
"Everything and any topic or problem" covers quite a vast range of topics, which is a bit too unwieldy for a single thread. Focus is key to getting a good discussion going. Leave it open to everything, and you will have people talking about: particle accelerators, cows, great places to find shoes on sale, the current state of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, basketball, hair salons, cheese processing techniques, ichthyology, Mustang vs Camaro, bread recipes, etc. Also, since your thread is aimed at "all the frustrated knife owners out there" and therefore seems to be searching for people dissatisfied with Spyderco's products, just keep in mind that the opinions you get are probably not going to agree with your point of view.

On the topic of pocket clips, while it may seem that there are tons of people who hate high-riding clips and only want low-riders, the reality is that the few very vocal people that represent the "low-rider only and nothing else" segment may in fact be a minority. While my favorite clip is the low-riding wire clip found on the Sage, I think it doesn't fit with every model (for example, the Military). The thing about Spyderco is that they are very good about listening to the customer (us) and responding accordingly. It seems that Spyderco has, in fact, been making more low riding knives lately due to the popularity. If Spyderco doesn't offer a certain model with that option, I would (and may do it for my Manix 2) contact Brad S. and get a custom Ti one made.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ouchyfoot

Post by ouchyfoot »

FRN...I hate it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Haters gonna hate...