TUFF and SS Balance!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

missed out on the CF Balance and am looking forward to an SS for sure.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

The SS Balance is a must have, very nice. The Tuff is intresting, but I would have to let it grow on me. The Vallaton (SP?) is very sexy, wish they would use more of that polished g-10.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The SS Balance looks very nice actually ... and I usually don't like SS handles. Has anyone got a clue as to whether it will be made in China and cheap, like the Kiwi SLIPIT or is it likely to be much more expensive? I mean, "affordable" is relative and the CF Balance is really quite expensive.

The Tuff looks a real beast - love the blade shape :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
sal

Post by sal »

ChrisR wrote:The SS Balance looks very nice actually ... and I usually don't like SS handles. Has anyone got a clue as to whether it will be made in China and cheap, like the Kiwi SLIPIT or is it likely to be much more expensive? I mean, "affordable" is relative and the CF Balance is really quite expensive.
The SS "Balance" is being made by the same maker in Seki as the CF version. Same everything except CF.

sal
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

sal wrote:The SS "Balance" is being made by the same maker in Seki as the CF version. Same everything except CF.

sal
Thanks Sal ... sounds like they won't be selling for peanuts then ... I'll start saving-up ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

HotSoup wrote:I'm disappointed that the Szabo is going to be Carbon Fiber instead of G-10 like the proto. Its going to drive that knife right out of my affordability range...
My thoughts exaclly :( . I still hope that there will still be a g-10 version.

As for the SS balance, I've been waiting for it ever since I set eyes on the CF balance's price tag.
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

bagulaci wrote:nice to see this one, I like the grooving, too, however, the finger guard and the choil is not for my taste.

I find in my "archives" a pic about an older proto, with integral CL:
Wow, where'd you get that picture? Usually, concept models aren't allowed to be photographed and published.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Mr Blonde wrote:Wow, where'd you get that picture? Usually, concept models aren't allowed to be photographed and published.
I forgot who has them up but there are five vids of the show on Youtube.

On another note I fully plan on taking mine apart and having it Cerekoted. I'm thinking Socom Blue or perhaps Hidden White. Heck, maybe I'll buy two. :D

Warranty smarranty, pish posh. :p
Teddy Thompson

Post by Teddy Thompson »

Blerv wrote:I forgot who has them up but there are five vids of the show on Youtube.

On another note I fully plan on taking mine apart and having it Cerekoted. I'm thinking Socom Blue or perhaps Hidden White. Heck, maybe I'll buy two. :D

Warranty smarranty, pish posh. :p
Coltelleria Collini. Part of a video series where Jurphaas showed off a bunch of Spyderco knives at SHOT. Coverage of the Tuff starts at about the 4:07 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekSqQXNd ... re=related
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
bagulaci

Post by bagulaci »

Mr Blonde wrote:Wow, where'd you get that picture? Usually, concept models aren't allowed to be photographed and published.
honestly, I don't remember exactly where. if I not mistake, someone put a knife photogallery link in one of the Hungarian knife forums, and I find this pic there, so it was really a lucky find. of course, I dont want to show them until Spyderco do not release the knife "officaly".
I got another pic too, now I know, about a very early prototype of the Schempp's Navaja.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Watched the video and the Tuff looks awesome!
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
pwet

Post by pwet »

except the RIL.

sorry, i'm pretty sad the integral comp lock wasn't retained.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Isn't that an integral comp lock on the proto?
Dotanuki

Post by Dotanuki »

Looks like the Tuff will have the steel insert on the lockbar/liner. Very nice touch, along with the textured Ti. Groove is brilliant, form and function.

Resembles an Incredible Hulk Barong, my fav Spydie. It can't come soon enough. But I'm sure the Navaja, Yo2, Szabo et al will tide me over...
- Roman

:spyder: Superhawk : Lil' Temp Rhino : D'Allara Rescue : Captain : Khukuri : Manix 2 CF : Kris : Barong : Military Orange : Salsa Ti PE : Lava : Delica SE ATS 55 :spyder:

Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I totally need a stainless Balance. The Tuff, meh, not so much.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

native 5 is pretty nice. I like it plain edge with g10, maybe more colors in the future if it's a success..
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I'll admit that like the low-leverage RIL on the current Tuff proto over the integral compression on the earlier one. Never warmed up to integral compression locks on prior models.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
angusW

Post by angusW »

Don't like SS myself but I'll be getting that Balance. Looks like a great design.

The Navaja is really growing on me, especially after hearing the "clackclackclack" sound. It really is quite a piece of art.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Blerv wrote:I forgot who has them up but there are five vids of the show on Youtube.
I could have made myself more clear, I didn't refer to the youtube vids. Jurphaas showing the model to a videographer is by all means an official presentation.

I was reffering the picture bagulaci showed of the Tuff concept model. I know the pic is of an earlier Tuff concept model because I've handled and seen the knife a few times over the years and because it has a red tag in the picture (with the model's name). I always nag the spydercrew for extra pics at the Amsterdam Meets but 'red tagged models' are usually 'verboten' to publish. That's why I was curious.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

bagulaci wrote:honestly, I don't remember exactly where. if I not mistake, someone put a knife photogallery link in one of the Hungarian knife forums, and I find this pic there, so it was really a lucky find. of course, I dont want to show them until Spyderco do not release the knife "officaly".
I got another pic too, now I know, about a very early prototype of the Schempp's Navaja.
Ah ok, thanks. Usually red tagged models are concept models shown at meets and shows to gather feedback. These models typically are a long way from production and can feature very new technology. When the OK came in to publish the concept model pics of the 'Junior' last year, it was a real surprise to me. Prototype model is the term reserved for knives that are much further in the development process, they are in fact production prototypes. These are the knives I get to shoot and show from Amsterdam Meets.

IIRC there was one model (Tusok) that was ditched after one person involved in the design process leaked all the info and specs on a public forum and a copy turned up on the market before it could be launched.

I'll definitely ask Sal and Eric how they feel about posting past concept model pictures of knives that have been produced.