Mini manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieZ

Mini manix

Post by SpydieZ »

Hello all I've recently come across a mint 83mm (or is it 80mm?) and I have always been intrigued by all the different versions. In addition the lockback is one of my favorite locking systems. So my question is.. Is the manix 2 a superior knife to the mini? In no way are these oldies cheap but I would love to add this beauty to my edc rotation. Any comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys! Some eye candy couldn't hurt either ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

You are one lucky guy...that is one that I am on the hunt for in a big way.

In my rather limited Spydie experience, I like it better than the new. Better steel, better ergos and I'm still not sure about the lock system on the Manix 2 and I think that the Spydie hole on the 2 is just too close to the edge of the blade...so I would say that the Mini is better than the 2.

Congrats on the purchase!
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given the choice, I'd take the 83mm over the Manix 2, but that's mostly because I prefer a midlock. I also think it has better esthetics, because I'm not fond of the Manix 2's huge lanyard hole or its jimped liners. But, in truth, both are excellent, well built, and very sturdy knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would have to go with Deacon on this one. I much prefer the Mini Manix to the Manix 2, that is with a big dose of personal preference. I find the handle fits my hand much better and I prefer the lack of jimping. Jimping is fine and I actually like it on certain models but the Mini fits so well it doens't really need it. The Manix 2 I think could do with less jimping but that can be rectified by a handy end user.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either but it is getting harder and harder to find the original in good condition. If you don't like it you are sure to find someone to take it off your hands and the Manix 2 and its many varients should be available.
Manix Guy 2

Prefer the Original

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I like the original better , but I like a HD folder . The Manix 2 is a fine knife just not my cup of tea and have the same dislikes as Paul has discussed on his reply . Enjoy your find , hope to find some back ups of both originals some day along with the sprint run . Regards MG2
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

They are both fantastic knives. I am different in that I like the Manix 2 better, but the original is an outstanding knife as well :)

Congrats on finding one! :cool:
Vic
Perry

Post by Perry »

I have three of the Mini-Manix and one Manix-2 xhp. I prefer the original. I think it's a better design overall, more elegant. I think that that it's easier to use and possibly more reliable for my needs. Both are great knives.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Perry wrote:I have three of the Mini-Manix and one Manix-2 xhp. I prefer the original. I think it's a better design overall, more elegant. I think that that it's easier to use and possibly more reliable for my needs. Both are great knives.
3? Oh ****...you are a lucky dude! Course the full sized is my real ultimate, but the mini is 2nd on the list!
On the hunt for...
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

I don't own a M2 yet, so I can't really compare the two, but I definitely say that you can't go wrong with the Mini. I just picked one up quite recently, and it's built solid, locks up with an authoritative SNAP, and just feels great in the hand. There's always the fact that the Mini is hard to come by, and like akaAK said, if it'd not your cup of tea you can easily pass it on. That said, I find the Mini too big for my own EDC purposes, but here's a few pics of the one I picked up along with its Foliage Green big bro :D

These big guys are being added to my Grail collection.

Sorry about the lighting and blurry pics, I'd just received them and was too excited to do it properly :p
DeathBySnooSnoo

Those are definitely grail worthy!! Esp the full size...beauty!!

*I think I drooled a bit*
On the hunt for...
GohawnFG

Post by GohawnFG »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Those are definitely grail worthy!! Esp the full size...beauty!!

*I think I drooled a bit*
Lol, right? One of my best purchases so far :p Hurt me a bit to have so much money leave my hands at once, but I feel it's well worth it!
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Mini for Midlock, unless you can get the orange G10 or M4 sprints.
DeathBySnooSnoo

GohawnFG wrote:Lol, right? One of my best purchases so far :p Hurt me a bit to have so much money leave my hands at once, but I feel it's well worth it!
I bet that the amount leaving your hands was quite a bit looking at how pristine that knife looks! But I'd be doing the same...though I would prefer the original back G10.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would carry the old Mini simply because everyone and their uncle has a Manix2.

If you compare apples to apples with say a Blue Manix2 sprint and the old Mini, both are FFG S30v knives. As mentioned you get a larger lanyard hole and extra jimping/texturing on the M2 which is either a boon or downfall depending on the person. The M2 has a flow-through design and a more open lock so if I was going to dunk them in mud I would tip my hat to the M2. Lockbacks are more natural for me to close but they tend to have vertical flex during cutting; I'm not sure if your Mini has this but im sure it's minimal.

Really a coin toss either way. I like vintage and retro though so regardless would be carrying that Mini proudly. :) You can also set it up for tip-down which is nice for some.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

bh49

C95 original Manix

Post by bh49 »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:I like the original better , but I like a HD folder .
+1
I will take original C95 over any other Manix any time. I prefer lockback and like the look of C95 more. Also it feels so good in the hand.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
prime77

Post by prime77 »

Great thread. :spyder: My first Spyderco was a Tenacious and it gave me the bug. :D I then got many other models including the Manix2. Researching older models I wondered about the Manix and Mini Manix. A while ago I got a combo edge mini Manix and fell in love with it. Well the other night I won a PE mini Manix off ebay and it came today and it's love all over again. It's a great knife and I will enjoy EDCing all over again. I got a deal on this one as well which makes it even better. I just got finishing putting my edge on it and took some pics.

Here it is next to my older combo edge mini

All my Manix's

My new mirror edge.

Someday I'll find a full size Manix.
DeathBySnooSnoo

prime77 wrote:
Someday I'll find a full size Manix.
You and me both!
On the hunt for...
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Great pics in this thread, and nice polish job Prime! I would put an edge like that on mine if I knew how.. I have a C95 in my truck that gets used a lot and I EDC a Mini and love them both. I recently gifted a couple C95's away that will be heading to the sandbox in a few days where I know they will serve as well as those carrying them.
Jay_Ev

A nice pair

Post by Jay_Ev »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>