Best pivot lube?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I've tried a whole bunch, they all pretty much work the same, just go with whatever you have on hand.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Tuf-Glide is the one thing I won't use on pivots any more. I used it for years but found that after the carrier had evaporated what was left tended to attract a lot of dirt and grit. I still use it to protect carbon steel blades but keep it out of moving parts. YMMV, obviously.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

And see that is why I was asking...I don't want to use something that is going to attract a lot of dust and grit. Which is why I was thinking maybe something that was a dry type of lube.
On the hunt for...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Seems like everyone uses something different...so I'll a different one to the lot that I use...a product called "Corrosion X" ...just google it and read all about it....it's totally amazing, it's the best lube for guns and knives and any moving parts where metal touches metal....won't collect lint, dust, or trap water, lasts a long long time, (I'm still using a bottle I bought in 1995) even prevents rust and restores any item that is frozen useless in a matter of minutes, like locks, fishing reels, tools like pliers, etc. all stuff you would normally throw out, it will bring them back to new function and you will save a small fortune on replacing things....more money available to buy knives...win-win....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Went to their web-site Doc. Their "SpeedX" looks pretty interesting. Might have to try that out. Currently I've been using Miltec and Boshield for my guns, knives, and bikes. WIll let you know how the SpeedX works.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SQSAR wrote:Went to their web-site Doc. Their "SpeedX" looks pretty interesting. Might have to try that out. Currently I've been using Miltec and Boshield for my guns, knives, and bikes. WIll let you know how the SpeedX works.
I found this site (http://www.corrosionx.com/) for Speed X. They describ how it works. Doc, you've had yours for a long time I guess but do you know where to get it? Stores? There are distributors on their web site but they are all very far from me. I was thinking about getting a 1 oz. bottle of SpeedX from the Corrosion Z site for $6.95. Haven't checked on shipping. Maybe a larger refil bottle also. I already have 4 or 5 different types of lubricants and doubt if I need another but want the best for all my tools. This stuff sounds interesting.

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Again this is IME/YMMV - Boeshield is a great product, but has the same issue that TufGlide has - when "dry," the waxy residue can collect grit. CorrosionX is a great product. I use it on my firearms...never used it on knives...seemed like overkill? ;)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

jackknifeh wrote:I did some research a couple of years ago and found out about WAX lubricants. The two I've heard of are Finish Line and White Lightning. I've never tried White Lightning but Finish Line is advertised mainly for bicycle use.
Strangely enough, I was in our local bike store this afternoon buying some replacement spokes and was looking at the Finish Line Ceramic Wax lube on the shelf. The guy behind the repair counter saw my Para2 clip in my pocket and asked about my knife. One thing led to another and I told him I was thinking of trying the Ceramic Wax lube on my knife pivots. He told me that he uses this on his knives (he has a bunch of Benchmade and Bokers) and it dries slick and hard and works really well. So I bought a bottle.

Thought I would pass this recommendation along from a non-forumite collector. I'll report back in a couple of days after I try it myself...

Teddius
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Seems like everyone uses something different...so I'll a different one to the lot that I use...a product called "Corrosion X" ...just google it and read all about it....it's totally amazing, it's the best lube for guns and knives and any moving parts where metal touches metal....won't collect lint, dust, or trap water, lasts a long long time, (I'm still using a bottle I bought in 1995) even prevents rust and restores any item that is frozen useless in a matter of minutes, like locks, fishing reels, tools like pliers, etc. all stuff you would normally throw out, it will bring them back to new function and you will save a small fortune on replacing things....more money available to buy knives...win-win....Doc :D
The other thing I really like is that it is non-toxic,it`s great stuff. :)
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm fond of FP-10 and it smells very pleasant. It's good on Swiss Army Knives too, seems to last a while.
blueskat

Post by blueskat »

Mineral Oil works for me. ((Food safe and cheap from the local drug store.)) Also have used Rem-oil in the past, believe it has Teflon in it that leaves a small thin residue film for protection.
BluesKat :cool:
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I've never tried it personally, but have heard good things about FP-10 from more than a few folks. This evening I'm gonna order some FP-10 and SpeedX to do some side-by-side testing. Will advise. . .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ed Schempp wrote: I highly recommend that you clean with compressed air then WD 40 and then use compressed air to blow out any trapped water and excess WD 40, then lube with some synthetic. On back locks it is good to use compressed air to blow out not only the pivot mechanism but all moving parts including the lock bar and lock release lever....Take Care...Ed

This is exactly how i do it when my knives get extra dirty. Most of the time just running them under water and then spraying them out with compressed air is enough. I like White Lightning Easy Lube...it's wax based and will make your pivot smooth as silk.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

jackknifeh wrote:I found this site (http://www.corrosionx.com/) for Speed X. They describ how it works. Doc, you've had yours for a long time I guess but do you know where to get it? Stores? There are distributors on their web site but they are all very far from me. I was thinking about getting a 1 oz. bottle of SpeedX from the Corrosion Z site for $6.95. Haven't checked on shipping. Maybe a larger refil bottle also. I already have 4 or 5 different types of lubricants and doubt if I need another but want the best for all my tools. This stuff sounds interesting.

Jack
Jack, You should be able to get it at any good gun store...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
blueskat

Post by blueskat »

Mineral Oil if you want moderate lubing and protection (plus it is cheap at local drug stores in large qty's).

I have also used Rem-Oil for lubing. Believe it leaves a small residue film of Teflon behind for protection.
BluesKat :cool:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

:cool:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Jack, You should be able to get it at any good gun store...Doc :D
Thanks Doc. Strangely enough I live on one of those towns that don't have good stores of any kind. No knife store, gun store, clothing store, etc. When I first moved here about 25 years ago there were only family stores and a couple of fairly large grocery stores. Then they built one of the first Wal Mart Super Center stores. That put a lot of the family businesses out. Anyway, I'll check at Wal Mart, maybe they have Corrosion X. Maybe there are new stores I don't know about. Even though I've lived here a long time a lot of the time has been working other places. Now that I'm here all the time it's wierd because I don't know many people.

Jack
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Has anyone used Quick Release Oil from Latama? Someone told me about it over the weekend. Seems to be real big with the auto. crowd, with Latama being of Italian Stiletto fame. Supposed to be "slicker" than Militec and most anything else out there.

http://quickreleaseoil.com/store/index. ... ex&cPath=1
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Simple Man wrote:Has anyone used Quick Release Oil from Latama? Someone told me about it over the weekend. Seems to be real big with the auto. crowd, with Latama being of Italian Stiletto fame. Supposed to be "slicker" than Militec and most anything else out there.

http://quickreleaseoil.com/store/index. ... ex&cPath=1
I have some. I have used it and it works very well. I haven't used it enough to be able to tell if it is good long term. Their claim is a molecular bonding to metal (like Tuf-Glide) and being able to lubricate things that other oils have failed on (doesn't everyone have those claims? :) ). If you can believe advertising I'd say it or Tuf-Glide is about the same. They have some strong sounding testimonials. The only "test" I've done is put some Tuf-Glide on a knife then left it outside for about a month. No rust at all. Pivot still moved easily.

Sometimes the same product is manufactured then sold to different companies and they put their label on it. I talked to the president of an oil manufacturer and he told me that's what they do but we didn't talk about specific product names. I know the same orange juice from the same place goes into different companies cans and bottles.

Jack
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I use Break Free CLP for my knives and guns. It's not the best out there, but it's plenty good enough, cheap, and easy to find more of.
Perry

Post by Perry »

I use Break Free CLP for my knives and guns. It's not the best out there, but it's plenty good enough, cheap, and easy to find more of.
I thought it was "the best out there." People with guns seem to favor it 10 to 1.