SE P'kal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Linguini3

SE P'kal?

Post by Linguini3 »

Still waiting on my P'Kal to arrive from CS, just shipped yesterday :D .

While I've been waiting and thinking about P'kal application and such, it occurred to me that a SE version should be much more effective in a SD situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of the RGEI grip in a SD situation is to use ripping motions creating an effect similair to an animal using its claws.

Seeing as how the Civilian, which is a purpose built SD knife is serrated (although not meant to be used in RGEI it still proves that serrations are better geared toward slashing motions in SD) wouldn't a SE P'kal fit the RGEI role better than a PE.

Now, I would probably still preffer a plain edge since i might be carrying this knife in situations where carrying more than one knife isn't possible (or i'm too lazy to carry more than one :p ) and i need a utility knife that can perform an SD role.
But, perhaps putting a SE P'kal into production wouldn't be such a bad idea for those who carry their P'kal solely for self defense.
"Trance is centralized around the idea of capturing a moment in time, It's an art."

My Spydies- Millie (Digicam, Black Blade), Orange Manix 2 Sprint, P'kal, SpyderHawk Salt SE
2cha

Post by 2cha »

From what I recall reading--NOT from personal knowledge--there is a potential issue with SE SD knives to become entangled with clothing so PE are preferred. Of course, I could be wrong.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea there are snagging issues and cloth/leather tends to slip against skin acting as an additional "armor" barrier.

I'm sure there are reasons for the Warrior and Civilian's teeth but I can't put my finger on it. Looking cool has to count for something at the least. :)
RogerRabbit

Post by RogerRabbit »

This thing is so pointy and freaking sharp, I cut myself badly on the thumb, just being stupid and fumbling arround in my pocket for my car key like an idiot. Turned out the key wasn't in the pocket.

However... putting a SE on this knife would be like putting a bayonet on a sword. :D
PSU

Post by PSU »

RogerRabbit wrote:However... putting a SE on this knife would be like putting a bayonet on a sword. :D
LOL, nice quote :D
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
2cha

Post by 2cha »

RogerRabbit wrote:
However... putting a SE on this knife would be like putting a bayonet on a sword. :D
Wow, and that was only you're 7th post? Keep 'em coming!!!!!
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Linguini3 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of the RGEI grip in a SD situation is to use ripping motions creating an effect similair to an animal using its claws.
Linguini, the "ripping motion" (shearing retraction) is definitely not the whole point of this methodology. The grip excels at a number of things, but if I were to pick out one thing to say is the main point (no pun intended), it's thrusting with the point. The shearing effect you describe is just an opportunistic thing that you can do if the strike path is interrupted... and a lot of times, I don't do any shearing at all, even in that case.

In any case, the bottom line is that anything that reduces thrusting penetration or shearing ability -- through snagging or friction -- is a no-no, which is why we don't use serrations.
Seeing as how the Civilian, which is a purpose built SD knife is serrated (although not meant to be used in RGEI it still proves that serrations are better geared toward slashing motions in SD)
The Civilian definitely doesn't prove that. I'd almost argue the reverse -- it proves that if the blade is ginormous enough, maybe it doesn't matter so much :)
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

Thanks for clearing up my questions joe and everyone else, actually makes alot more sense now.

All thats left is for my new knife to come in :cool:
"Trance is centralized around the idea of capturing a moment in time, It's an art."

My Spydies- Millie (Digicam, Black Blade), Orange Manix 2 Sprint, P'kal, SpyderHawk Salt SE
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

x nay on the spyderedge.
This knife is great as a PE
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

There are certain Spyderco knives and others where the SE doesn't get caught up on clothing like the Mas Ayoob and Mini-Pit Bull from Timberline... but I think it has to do with blade to handle geometry...or in the case if the Mini-Pit Bull the serrations are rounded as opposed to concave....Generally SE is a no-no for SD....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Joe Talmadge wrote:Linguini, the "ripping motion" (shearing retraction) is definitely not the whole point of this methodology. The grip excels at a number of things, but if I were to pick out one thing to say is the main point (no pun intended), it's thrusting with the point. The shearing effect you describe is just an opportunistic thing that you can do if the strike path is interrupted... and a lot of times, I don't do any shearing at all, even in that case.

In any case, the bottom line is that anything that reduces thrusting penetration or shearing ability -- through snagging or friction -- is a no-no, which is why we don't use serrations.

The Civilian definitely doesn't prove that. I'd almost argue the reverse -- it proves that if the blade is ginormous enough, maybe it doesn't matter so much :)
Ay Joe, Maybe you can give a brief explanation (without giving up trade secrets) to the good people how RGEI thrusting is different from thrusting RGEO, taking in account the techniques used by SouthNarc and Ray...I think this would go a long way to understanding why it's beneficial...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*