Dragonfly 2: I am (cautiously) overjoyed!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Dragonfly 2: I am (cautiously) overjoyed!

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I was just browsing some online knife retailers because I plan to order a FFG Delica this week (for the FFG and for the novelty of the blue G10), and because of a forumite's mention of his G10 Dragonfly, I decided to punch the Dragonfly into a search to see the price.

Among the results was the Dragonfly 2, which is FRN, and as I peered at the photo, I could've sworn it looked like it was held together with Torx screws!

So upon close reading of the descriptions, I found that it does indeed say that among the improvements is screwed-together construction! JOY!! :D

So I plan to buy one or two (probably two). I had always held off, because despite really liking the knife overall, I don't buy pinned or riveted knives anymore; they just don't suit my tastes.

So, I'm psyched. On 12/31/10 I got my Manix 2, and soon I'll have a couple of more new knives to enjoy! :)
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
syphen

Post by syphen »

Your gonna like it! Dfly's are amazing little knives. Small but mighty!
Too many Spydies to list!
peacefuljeffrey

Plus, I've always loved the name.

They're reeaaaallllly light, aren't they? Like "not-even-there" light, right?
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I can't speak for the FRN version, but the G-10 version is fantastic. It's a great "little big knife".
addylo

Post by addylo »

Just got my DF2 two days ago and yep, it's sweet. Good fit and finish. It's small and light enough to easily ride loose in my pocket but big enough (for me) to open one-handed.

And yessir, it has torx screw construction. You'll even notice there's a raised-head torx screw holding the clip, with a flush torx on the other side occupying the extra hole. Nice touch at this price range.

I haven't yet decided whether to keep the clip on or not. I usually have a Sage CF clipped to my right pocket so I'll probably remove the DF2 clip and carry it loose in my left.
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think some of the old pinned FRN blades are going screwed too for cost savings and ability to adjust. This would be a rolling change (i.e. "Continueous Improvement"). I doubt those will be announced.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Blerv wrote:The Dfly2 is a new knife. It's got liners too an jimping.

I think some of the old pinned FRN blades are going screwed too for cost savings and ability to adjust. This would be a rolling change (i.e. "Continueous Improvement"). I doubt those will be announced.
No liners.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh my bad. For some reason I thought they were coming lined. :o
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I believe they were kept unlined to keep the weight down as the addition of liners on a platform this size makes a pretty big difference in weight (and also would make it kind of iffy to continue to call it the Dragonfly Lightweight). personally, for the FRN version, while the extra weight wouldn't make me that upset, it also seems unnecessary - these are surprisingly tough little knives and always have been.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
peacefuljeffrey

I misspoke about the Delica, above. I referred to the FFG Delica as having "blue G10," but I meant the "blue FRN". Apologies to those who were misled.

Actually, now that I've been looking at the blue one and the gray one, I am having serious second thoughts and may go with the gray one instead. ...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just had a curious thing happen to my 3-month old Dragonfly G10 knife. It has been a bit stiff since I got it, so I've been diligently breaking it in, adding a drop of TufGlide here and there, trying to get it smoothed out.

Well, yesterday, as I was fiddling around with it, I look down in the gap between the blade and the handles and the little phosphor bronze washer was wiggling its way out! I've never taken the knife apart, so I can only guess that it never got properly seated at the factory. I must have overlooked this the past couple of months.

The good story is that Charlynn was very responsive to my email and the knife is going back for a "spa treatment" at Golden for the next couple of weeks. Their customer service simply can't be beat.

This is the first real factory defect I've encountered on a Spyderco in 20+ years. And I've purchased dozens and dozens of them.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

If you want a nice dragonfly go with the tattoo version f@f is as good as anything ive seen Spyderco produce its like they took everything just a bit finer I can one hand it better than my military super smooth
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Lets also not forget the h1 dragonfly 2 salt. Excellent knife.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Where did you find a Blue G-10 Delica?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!