Most Unique Spyderco's?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
henhen14

Most Unique Spyderco's?

Post by henhen14 »

Hi,
I only have a limited fund for buying knives, so my goal is to buy just 4 or 5 Spyderco's, but get the most out of what they're all about. Any suggestions?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What do you mean most unique? Are you looking to buy novelty spydies or knives to use?
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I would say the Dodo is up there.
Come Join Us Click Here
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The knife that turned me on to Spyderco is the P'Kal. I don't think anybody out there has anything like it.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

The first time I saw the Civilian, I thought, WOW :eek: ...that's different. So, I bought it for $25... best Spydie purchase for me to date. :D
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

Get a Phoenix while the prices are low and they haven't become rare collectibles...

A Tasman or Spyderhawk would also be a good choice. Much more readily available, but no one else offers anything like a rust proof hawkbill.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Henen IMO this largely depends on whether your looking to collect or to use.
I don't have much of knife budget either. I don't collect, yet I appreciate fine tools. All of which are used for their intended purposes.

I purchase about one or two knives a year and ideally want to limit myself to 12 "allstar" Spydies. Each of these would not only be the best model for a given task, but would also be my favorite variant of that model.

Things are going to get tricky when I hit twelve as I'm going to have to implement a one new knife in and one old one out policy. After trimming down the fat I'm back down to nine Spydies now.

J

P.s Exceptions will be made for "pre in need replacements". ;)
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Chuck, as in to use. I would like to get one or two knives for each need, like outdoors, dress-up events, general edc, and possibly self-defense.
AJF

Post by AJF »

"Most Unique Spyderco's?" (Spydercos?). Sorry, but you hit upon a pet peeve here (just ask my kids :D ). This unfortunate choice of words became forever imbedded in my brain from an entertaining exchange I witnessed many years ago.

I was watching a trial between two very fine lawyers. One had an expert on the stand and was taking him through direct examination. At some point, the expert referred to something as "most unique".

"Objection!" thundered opposing counsel, rising to his feet. "Your honor, I object. 'Unique' is not a comparative term. It means, simply, 'one-of-a-kind'. Something cannot be 'more unique', 'most unique', etc.---it either is or it isn't....kind of like being pregnant."

The judge, a good one, looked surprised for only a moment, shook his head (grammatical objections aren't the usual course of business in a trial), but then responded, "Sustained".

In any event, aside from the occasional "grammar Nazi" (that would be me, I suppose :o ), this is a great forum. Welcome to it, and have fun.

Andrew
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

yeah, I guess 'most unique' isn't really the phrase I as going after, more like what Spydercos represent the company the best?
AJF

Post by AJF »

henhen14 wrote:yeah, I guess 'most unique' isn't really the phrase I as going after, more like what Spydercos represent the company the best?
hh14,

Thanks for being a good sport. As for that question, you'll get a lot of different answers, I'll wager. But, you can't go wrong with two of the most popular Spydies ever---Delica and Endura, in any of their different versions. Unless you prefer a choil, in which case I'd say look to members of the Caly family.

Andrew
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

henhen14 wrote:yeah, I guess 'most unique' isn't really the phrase I as going after, more like what Spydercos represent the company the best?
For unique work user spydies, this is my take. YMMV.

1. Endura/delica
2. Stretch
3. Military/Para
4. Gayle Bradley
5. (soon to com) Yojimbo 2(SD)

Not definitive by all means, just off the top of my head.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

henhen14 wrote:Chuck, as in to use. I would like to get one or two knives for each need, like outdoors, dress-up events, general edc, and possibly self-defense.
Here are some recommendations as the best in each category:

General EDC:Stretch 2, Caly 3.5, Delica, Para 2

Gentleman/dress-up:Caly 3 CF, Sage CF, UK Penknife, G-10 Dragonfly

Outdoors:Military, Manix 2, Temperance 2 (fixed blade)

Self defense:Civilian, Police 3, Military.

But honestly, I wouldn't limit myself like that. At the beginning of my collecting, I had kind of the same idea, that I wanted to get a knife or 2 for each use/occasion, but honestly, I think you should just get whatever knives work for you.

For example, I have tons of "gentlemanly" wire clip spydies like the Sage, Caly 3/3.5, UKPK both G-10 and FRN, G-10 Dragonfly, etc, and I never intended to have many as "dress" knives...I just really like the functionality of those designs, and use them for general EDC all the time.

Basically, I don't think you should limit your possibilities--besides, it's probably a futile effort anyway. Once you're hooked, you're hooked. I plan on buying knives when I have the extra cash for as long as possible.

I think a good starting point/the must-haves, most representative knives are: at least one Caly (3 or 3.5), Stretch 2, Delica and/or Endura, Military/Para, Sage(any or all), and maybe Manix 2 (pref. a FFG sprint)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I think the knives that represent the company best...are the Delica and Endura but as far as unique goes....I'd have to pick the Meerkat, it's phantom lock is about the coolest thing ever...Doc :)

Dress-up Knife: Vesuvius
Work: Chinook I or II
SD: Yojimbo, Adventura, Ronin, Waved Endura
Camping: Rock Salt
all around must have one each day for chores: Ladybug
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Of what's currently available:

Military - an incredible, and probably unique, mix of size, strength, and lightness.

SE Tasman Salt - gives you a representative of H-1, the hawkbill blade, and Spyderco's unlined FRN handle.

Sage II - superb ergos, RIL, and proof that Taiwan can manufacture knives as good as anything out of Japan.

Delica (or Endura) - Spyderco's bread and butter models.

Ed Schempp Balance - perfect little dress knife, and an excellent example of a Spyderco collaboration model
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
igrowbamboo

Post by igrowbamboo »

Knives are a complicated issue involving many factors.....
so I can only speak from my own experiance. the more you learn, the more you appreciate the finer quality's of each model. You may change your mind many times I know I have.
That said,Your first purchase should be the Paramilitary. It will set the standard of which all knives should be judged. :cool:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Boy oh Boy...we have given this poor guy so many options he'll probably have 100 knives by the end of the week.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

1. Military or Para-Military2
2. Caly3.5
3. Superhawk SE
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
henhen14

Post by henhen14 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! If it helps, I already have a FFG delica that I got for Christmas last year.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

bh49 wrote:1. Military or Para-Military2
2. Caly3.5
3. Superhawk SE
You mean spyderhawk? I don't remember seeing a SE superhawk