the Delica of Delica's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I've got a 3rd generation Delica and a purple ffg and the ffg is my favorite. Found a smoking deal on a ZDP Delica which should arrive any day. The Delica is a one of the great EDC knives. I'll have to shell out for the ffg ZDP when it comes out to.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I requested one from Spyderco and have yet to recieve it, but recently ordered an Endura from Cutlery Shoppe and they included one in my package...which I thought was cool!
delicafreak wrote:very jealous, i havnt got my tangable 2011 catalog yet.. :( guess ill have to keep referencing the online one
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
coelacanth

Post by coelacanth »

Same here. I received the orange Manix 2 from Cutlery Shoppe and the catalogue was included. :) There, you now have another excuse to buy another Spydie. :D
vicbastige

Post by vicbastige »

Me too. Thanks Cutlery Shoppe!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i got mine with the superblue mule. but yes jeff gave me another (my 4th) with a 2nd persian i got from him the other day. everytime, he never misses!
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

hannibal wrote:Just bought my first Spyderco month ago, basic black FRN VG-10 D4 saber grind. Gateway drug for sure, didn't know pretty much nothing about :spyder: before but have been itching to get more these things since day one when i got that d4... Some FFG Delica is my most wanted right now since delica feels very good (size, weight etc.) except that blade feels just a little bit bulky and i have read so much about that FFG blade cuts better. Just still convincing myself do I really need another one almost same knife as former one ;)
That's a good thing to consider getting your second Spyderco so close to what you just got. The FFG Delicas will be around for a while so maybe you would be better off getting something much different. Stretch or Endura maybe. Both are available in VG-10 or ZDP-189. Other great knives to choose from also. If you want a smaller blade than the Delica you may want to see if there are any Michael Walkers left out there. I believe there are. It's a great little knife though a little more expensive. No matter what you decide I think your Delica is a great choice for the first Spyderco.

Jack
PS
EVIL D, great edge on your knife. That result comes from much dedication and time (or would take much time for me).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote: PS
EVIL D, great edge on your knife. That result comes from much dedication and time (or would take much time for me).

Aww shucks mister, don't make me blush. :o

Really it just takes time and patience with a clamp sharpener and about ten thousand strokes with a diamond stone (per side) lol. The clamp does most of the work for you...you just have to stick with it long enough to get the bevel down that low and it turns out looking that good. I could NEVER do that on a Sharpmaker or freehand stone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
THG

Post by THG »

I got rid of most of my knives and left all of my Delicas as my user knives. There simply aren't many knives that work as hard as the Delica.

I especially like the FFG much, much more than the saber ground models. The blade is so thin that even when the edge is dull, the knife continues to cut and cut and cut, at least for cardboard (which makes up most of what I cut with my knives.)

The only thing I have to do to make my Delicas perfect is to take off the hump in the middle of the handle with a bench grinder. After that, everything about the knife's function is flawless.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I've got a purple FFG Delica and I'm going to pick up 1 or 2 more this year. Just got a ZDP SG and it is an edge holding beast. The FFG ZDP will be a must have for me too. I wish they sat a little lower in the pocket is all.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Took the opportunity and reprofiled my FFG Delica again this past weekend. seems I got it to almost a 20 deg inclusive :D My edges so far aren't perfect or superbly polished, but I am happy with the results and what I've been able to learn and achieve so far with a DMT aligner, SM, and freehand the rest of the way. :D It's a lot of fun to play with, have to get back to the SG model now and clean it up. :o Happiness comes with making a knife truly sharp :) I did put a 30 deg microbevel on it and it cuts very, very well :D

Delica FFG's are great for that. They're terrific out of the box and give you a lot of room to play with in the future. They're increbily usable, adaptable and modifiable right out of the box.

Just a testament to one of :spyder: 's longest lived models.
Attachments
ffg.jpg
ffg.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dcrutch8

Post by dcrutch8 »

I received my gray FFG Delica yesterday. I've been using a PE D4 saber grind since they first came out. I really like this FFG! The Delica has long been one of my favorite knives. This may be the best one yet!! :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dcrutch8 wrote:I received my gray FFG Delica yesterday. I've been using a PE D4 saber grind since they first came out. I really like this FFG! The Delica has long been one of my favorite knives. This may be the best one yet!! :)
Glad to hear your view. I've had the D4 ZDP saber grind for a couple of months now (or more). I really want a FFG delica and have been debating on getting the VG-10 model now or waiting for the ZDP FFG to come out. I know if I get the VG-10 now I'll end up getting the ZDP version when it is available or as soon as I can afford it. I also want a Gayle Bradlye really bad and one other (non-Spyderco) knife. I absolutely don't need any more knives since all I buy them for is to use, not to look at. But every time I think about selling knives I would gladly EDC but don't carry I just decide not to. I think I'll give one to my son. He may have to take care of me someday. :D

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

jackknifeh wrote:I know donut. I've been looking at your signature for a while, drooling. I don't know when the decision was made to make one but maybe your sig. was like a subliminal message to the Spyderco folks. :)

Jack
Sorry, I don't glance at certain threads as much as I should.

I added it to my sig after I saw it mentioned as a future model, but it's been so long I'm not sure where I saw it! I believe it was near the time we started to hear about the FFG ZDP Endura and that has been around for quite a while.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I recently acquired a pair of gray FFG Enduras and a purple FFG Delica and I just love these FFG knives. They are so well designed after all the refinements over the years and such a great value, imo, considering the quality and features.

I'm also really liking the extra length of the Endura after getting over the initial shock of the extra length compared to the Caly Jr. (ZDP) I EDC'd for years and was very used to. But the extra length makes it so much more useful for kitchen and dining cutting. (If I'm at a friends house and need to do some cooking, I usually use my EDC as it's invariably a lot sharper than anything they are likely to have.)

I got the FFG Delica mainly for use when I travel to someplace where it's against the law to carry a blade as long as the Endura and also because I wasn't sure if I would like the extra length of the Endura or not.

The other surprise was how much I like the VG-10 steel compared to ZDP. I just find it much easier, faster and more enjoyable to sharpen and especially to touch up. And the VG-10 takes an awesome edge, imo. It may not last as long as the ZDP but it makes up for it in being so easy to touch up and I just find it quite a bit easier to keep it sharper than ZDP. So I'm really pleased with these knives.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Never owned a delica and I have a purple ffg on the way soon. I own the g10 endura and it is a bit too big for me to edc. Really excited since I wanted something light and elegant that I would not be upset about abusing/using :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The blade profile is my favorite thing about the Delica. I like the handle but i think the finger side could be designed a little better, it doesn't fit my hand very well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IrishSpyder22

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

It's hard to beat the ffg delica with the great price , different colors, and how great they slice I love mine.
35:spyder: