Lion Spy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Love the High riding clip...for low pocket carry...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Definitely not my cup of tea. I like the blade shape, but apart from that it does nothing for me.

j
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Pete2s wrote:I really like it. Reminds me of the Terzuola. What do you think is the blade length?
I believe the original SR-1's blade was 95 mm or about 3.75 inches. So about the same as an Endura

PS-Glad to see they're using elmax rather than the tool steel they use on the original. The steel's chemistry looks interesting, kind of similar to s30v
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

It would have been nice if they made it look a little different than the original SR-1 by lionsteel.

And the modified Hinderer lock stop, is what -The Mentaculous- stated in function, it is called the "rotoblock" made by Lionsteel with I believe an understanding with Rick Hinderer. I acts stop the lock bar from moving too far out when your trying to disengage, and when you rotate it manually [on the sr1, other knives may auto engage when flicked] it places a lock/block on the framelock from closing/disengaging. Hence its name.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

What are the two little screws for at the tang end of the lockbar for? Are they overtravel stops?
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

2cha wrote:What are the two little screws for at the tang end of the lockbar for? Are they overtravel stops?
Those are the screws for the metal[I am not 100% on the actual type] insert on the titanium lockbar which is on the original SR-1 by lionsteel, so that it would reduce wear, and allows you to order replacements from them if/when it wears down to keep the lockbar stable.

Here is lionsteels page, with a link to a yt video on their sight going through the folder if you guys are wondering.

http://www.lionsteel.it/fast/k/en/eur/products/v/978
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

2cha wrote:What are the two little screws for at the tang end of the lockbar for? Are they overtravel stops?
They are for the steel insert on the end of the Ti lockbar, similar design to the Ti millie, prevents the lockbar from wearing prematurely.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

FLYBYU44 wrote:They are for the steel insert on the end of the Ti lockbar, similar design to the Ti millie, prevents the lockbar from wearing prematurely.
Thanks, I must have an earlier Ti Millie--

So, the end of the lockbar that makes contact with the tang is replaceable? (I know that primary reason is b/c Ti softer than hardened steel). If so, that's awesome. I have an old Bob Terzuola with the Walker lock--the lockbar is ALL the way over to the far edge of the scale. I wonder if a similar top edge could be retrofitted,... hmmm.
Donut

Post by Donut »

2cha wrote:Thanks, I must have an earlier Ti Millie--

So, the end of the lockbar that makes contact with the tang is replaceable? (I know that primary reason is b/c Ti softer than hardened steel). If so, that's awesome. I have an old Bob Terzuola with the Walker lock--the lockbar is ALL the way over to the far edge of the scale. I wonder if a similar top edge could be retrofitted,... hmmm.
I'm not sure the newer ones have it yet, I could be wrong. It was introduced with the Knifeworks M4 Millie a few months ago.

Yes, it is replaceable. I don't think a liner lock can do this.

I think there have been some pretty good pictures of this area. B. Southard posted pictures of his M4 Military disassembled.

Thread linked: here
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

D1omedes wrote:thanks for the pics. that model is not my cup of tea but it looks nice.
not my cup of tea either. I like my sharp things to be pointy as well. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

The Mentaculous wrote:The circular thing? If you twist it when the blade is locked, it holds the lockbar in place. Also it keeps you from bending the lockbar too far
thanks. i checked out the video, he shows it in use around the 6:20 mark for anyone else. i do like that clip as well. i kind of wished the handle was milled out of one piece titanium but then there wouldn't be much difference between the spyderco and the original version other than a hole in the blade :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Great pix, thanks for posting!
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I like this, may have to go onto the must have list.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hmm...the Elmax is already interesting, good esthetics as well....

:rolleyes:
Tom
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

Thought i'd embed the pictures for you guys. Just in case you don't want to click links, and/or the post goes down. Enjoy.

Also just thought i'd say that the front and back look like two different knives, and its hideous...

ImageImage
Andy
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

****, one of the big reasons I had the Lionsteel SR-1 on my list is gone. The one piece milled titanium handle.
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

if that blade is anywhere within 1/4" north or south of 4" i want one bad. thats a fmrb knife.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Mulefun

Post by Mulefun »

I like it. The one piece ti handle would be sweet, but half is still fine. One thing that i would change on the sr-1 would be the blade width, but after watching the video it worked itself out to me. I've been itching for a ti millie for a while, but if the blade on this is close to 4 inches i want one. It will be a tuff choice.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

That's a nice looking, well rounded, knife; a nice revision of the original Lion Steel design, but keeping all the pleasant design features thereof. I especially like the low riding clip, that's always a huge plus in carrying a larger folder both discreetly and securely. I wish we could see more low riding clips from the factory.
pleeho

yes

Post by pleeho »

I'm a normal, well-adjusted, law-abiding, man; raised Catholic & a former boyscout for 5 years. But I would rape & kill for that knife.