Lion Spy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Spyderco actually "makes" almost nothing. Almost all spyderco knives are produced by other facilities under contract somewhere else in the world. Just a very select few spydies are actually made by spyderco proper in Golden, CO. If I were to take a wild guess based on the prototype, the steel, and the design I'd say it'll probably be produced by LionSteel in Italy. The design itself was probably altered as it was, yet based on the SR1, in order to meet a price point. (again just a guess)
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i just noticed a knife for sale at gpk made by lion steel that is very similar -

http://www.gpknives.com/esee-hestfolder-righthand.html
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I've been drooling over the SR-1 since it's release and this collaboration since the original SHOT show coverage. I'm hoping this guy retails for around $200 but that is probably wishful thinking.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

Any updates on this? When will we see one of these?
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Any updates on this? When will we see one of these?
If this thread could be summarized in 11 words...... :P We're all dying to know and I'm guessing we won't for quite a while.
SirIsaacNewton

Post by SirIsaacNewton »

Bump!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

howes put up the preorders
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

jwrickma24 wrote:howes put up the preorders
**** almost as costly as the sr-1.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
Perry

Post by Perry »

Just as I thought... can't quite afford to spend that kind of coin. -P
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I hope they are either price gouging or are just guessing how much the knife will retail for and are guessing high. That price is highway robbery. The reason the SR-1 is so expensive is because its milled from solid billet titanium, rather than using two scales. The LionSpy is composite on one side, making it not significantly harder to produce than any other framelock. They can't possibly expect that we will pay about 60$ less than a full snarling SR-1 for a half ti half G10 knife? The SR1-AL is quite literally a hundred dollars less than that, and even that is machined from a solid billet. (admittedly billet aluminum alloy)

At the same time perhaps I should have some faith, because Mr. Glesser isn't an idiot and probably did a similar price assessment when looking at the design of the LionSpy. He couldn't possibly have thought that building it at that price point was a good idea.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

yeah thats a tough price to swallow when the sr1 isnt much more-that must be full list

also another store that wont ship to new york so i couldnt get one if i had the money
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I was expecting about the same price as the G10/Ti M4 Military since its close to the same materials, the SR-1 steel can't be that expensive since Lionsteel has 6inch full tang fixed blades in it for a little over $200, perhaps the price is due to the Lion Steel name/Made in Italy? If I were Lion Steel I don't think I'd want a knife so similarly made with the same quality, factory, steel etc selling for $175 less than the knife I'm trying to sell when all you have to give up is half a titanium handle. (which some might see as a plus, and a spyderhole which many will probably see as a plus)
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Believe me Lionsteel isn't worried about being able to sell its more expensive SR-1s. They are hard enough to get a hold of as it is. They also made the ~200$ SR-1AL, which is visually almost identical to the normal SR-1.
Jeep131

Post by Jeep131 »

hunterseeker5 wrote:I hope they are either price gouging or are just guessing how much the knife will retail for and are guessing high. That price is highway robbery. The reason the SR-1 is so expensive is because its milled from solid billet titanium, rather than using two scales. The LionSpy is composite on one side, making it not significantly harder to produce than any other framelock. They can't possibly expect that we will pay about 60$ less than a full snarling SR-1 for a half ti half G10 knife? The SR1-AL is quite literally a hundred dollars less than that, and even that is machined from a solid billet. (admittedly billet aluminum alloy)

At the same time perhaps I should have some faith, because Mr. Glesser isn't an idiot and probably did a similar price assessment when looking at the design of the LionSpy. He couldn't possibly have thought that building it at that price point was a good idea.
Just a quick response to this post... we would not be in business very long if we were price gouging or guessing when putting up pre orders or any other product for that matter. Our Spyderco rep sent us an acknowledgement of our order of the four prototypes listed with SKU #'s, retail and wholesale pricing. My wife and I work very hard at carrying a full line of Spyderco's along with having what we think is very competive pricing for all our products.
Jeep131

Post by Jeep131 »

As you can tell by the number of my posts, I do not respond to often on the forums. However hunterseeker5 made a comment about us in his post earlier that I need to respond too. We would not be in business very long if we tried gouging our customers or guessed at pricing on any of our products. I think most of our customers can confirm that our pricing is always in line with most of the other and much bigger online dealers. Our Spyderco rep sent us our acknowledgement of the prototypes we have listed (currently 4 of them including the Lion Spy) with their SKU #'s, retail and wholesale prices. My wife and I work very hard at making sure our prices are very competitive in the industry and our inventory carries the lastest in Spyderco releases. I hate seeing comments like this where a response seems necessary.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Well said, Jim.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

If I had the cash available, I would most def hit up that preorder.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Just a quick response to this post... we would not be in business very long if we were price gouging or guessing when putting up pre orders or any other product for that matter. Our Spyderco rep sent us an acknowledgement of our order of the four prototypes listed with SKU #'s, retail and wholesale pricing. My wife and I work very hard at carrying a full line of Spyderco's along with having what we think is very competive pricing for all our products.
It appears I owe you an apology. I assumed spyderco had some sort of awareness of the knife market and the prices on other models from the same maker....... apparently not. I have seen a lot of price gouging regarding limited runs like this and made the mistake of grouping you with all of "them." Now that I am aware of the actual pricing I'm disappointed to find that your pricing is in line with what the model will retail for, and I apologize for suggesting that you had less than stellar business practices. The outrageous price for this one appears to be entirely spyderco's fault. I guess I'm in the market for an SR-1 now, since there isn't any point in waiting for this to hit the shelves.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

hunterseeker5 wrote:It appears I owe you an apology. I assumed spyderco had some sort of awareness of the knife market and the prices on other models from the same maker....... apparently not. I have seen a lot of price gouging regarding limited runs like this and made the mistake of grouping you with all of "them." Now that I am aware of the actual pricing I'm disappointed to find that your pricing is in line with what the model will retail for, and I apologize for suggesting that you had less than stellar business practices. The outrageous price for this one appears to be entirely spyderco's fault. I guess I'm in the market for an SR-1 now, since there isn't any point in waiting for this to hit the shelves.
Wait for one with the spydie hole lol... love it
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

hunterseeker5 wrote:It appears I owe you an apology. I assumed spyderco had some sort of awareness of the knife market and the prices on other models from the same maker....... apparently not.
:rolleyes: Then again, perhaps you're jumping to conclusions again. It's possible that, unlike most collaboration models where Spyderco has at least some, and often considerable, investment in R&D and is the one fronting the money for the project, their only connections with this one are licensing of the Spyderhole and name and marketing it through their dealer network and that LionSteel is funding this project and setting the price.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!