Caly 3.5 in CF?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BBQ BOY

Caly 3.5 in CF?

Post by BBQ BOY »

Will this or is this knife available in Carbon Fiber like the Caly3?
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

There's no official word on what variants will be produced, but I really hope they do a CF/ZDP version like the Caly 3.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

yeah I am for some variation of the caly 3.5 in Carbon Fiber.
I hope its like the para sprints cf
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
The Mentaculous

Peel ply CF would be sweet! I know they can use it in Japan, because the Stretch CF was in peel ply. I don't believe the Moki manufacturer has used it, but I doubt that's a problem. I'm not sure if I'd rather have that or the semi-polished CF from the Caly 3 though (which I really like as well). Anyway, I really, really hope they make some kind of ZDP variant, laminated or not (laminated might be better considering the thinness of the blade). The only other super high end option that's been thrown around is super blue, and while I'm all for a sprint with it, the fact that it's not stainless kind of turns me off a bit (I know, I'm a noob ;) ). Plus I'm really into ZDP right now, I've been carrying my Stretch CF and Michael walker a lot recently and it never ceases to amaze me
sal

Post by sal »

We're showing a concept model at SHOT. No plans yet. Still collecting info.

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Any chance we could see the cf off the terzoula on the caly 3.5. I love the way its textured or is that a taiwanese exclusive cf. Maybe even the cf off the new lum.

Post by 224477 »

Yes pls.!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

sal wrote:We're showing a concept model at SHOT. No plans yet. Still collecting info.

sal
Thanks Sal. Any chance of pics? I actually would like the smooth CF. I think it's much more attractive than the CF that's on the manix2 and Para2.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

VashHash wrote:Any chance we could see the cf off the terzoula on the caly 3.5. I love the way its textured or is that a taiwanese exclusive cf. Maybe even the cf off the new lum.
+1

I do not have new Lum, so cannot comment on this. In general I do not like CF, which coming from Japan. For me surface finish on Taiwanese CF is the best, with Peel Ply from Golden (like Para2) been close second.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I would love a Cf Caly 3.5
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

sal wrote:We're showing a concept model at SHOT. No plans yet. Still collecting info.

sal
oooooo, well I hope this sparks a bunch of interest. Even a sprint would sell out every knife....
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

As much as I like the peel-ply CF, I think the classic polished CF looks much better. Sometimes, aesthetics are nice on a high end model.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
GTP2K1

Post by GTP2K1 »

I wonder since you have those on both sides of the fence if you could do something in the middle. Something a little more shiny/pretty (show off that sexy CF weave) and a bit less grippy.

If both sides loved it, it would be perfect, but if it didn't meet the needs of both opinions it would be pointless.
Endura I (First Spydie)
Tenacious (Work)
Para2, Strech II (EDCs)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Cf/super blue! Using the same pattern as the carbon fiber Lum Chinese.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

yowzer wrote:Cf/super blue! Using the same pattern as the carbon fiber Lum Chinese.
That would be fine and the gray G-10 is fine because it's easy to dye.

Given the word that the Spyderco Puukko is using ironwood, I would love to see ironwood scales of the Super Blue Caly 3.5.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Sequimite wrote:
Given the word that the Spyderco Puukko is using ironwood, I would love to see ironwood scales of the Super Blue Caly 3.5.
I am not a big carbon steel fan, but will not be able to resist Ironwood. So, I am in.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Mentaculous

Glad to hear a CF version is at least being considered...my ideal CF Caly 3.5 would be peel ply CF and laminated ZDP
Stony

Post by Stony »

My fantasy Caly3.5 would consist of Smooth CF and S90V, sign me up for that one.

VG10 in CF would be alright as well.
jacobwilson99

caly 3.5 CF

Post by jacobwilson99 »

Announced this SHOT show, Caly 3.5 in Carbon Fiber handles, most like with ZDP laminate in the vein of the current Caly 3. I think announcement early spring.

j