A plea to Mr. Glesser.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gyssedk

A plea to Mr. Glesser.

Post by gyssedk »

Hello there, i am a new user from denmark. Denmark is a cold place in northern Europe, and on top of high taxes on everything that is fun or usefull, we also have one of the strictest knifelaws in the world.

In short:
One-hand opening knives, balisongs and autos: No-Go
Locking folder, regardless af bladelength or fixed blade: only legal for work, hunting, fishing etc etc.
Folder with a bladelength over 7 cm/ 2 3/4" regardless of locking type: only legal for work, hunting, fishing etc etc.

Breaking these rules could land you a heavy fine or up to 7 days in jail....

So a legal EDC would be a sliplock with a bladelength under 2 3/4" from tip to handle.
My EDC is the Boker Cox
http://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeke ... 8-0-0.html

A while back Spyderco made the model C94GDK penknife, a model wich was designed to be legal in Denmark, this model has now been discontinued, and this breaks my heart since i never got the chance to buy one. But even with this knife there was some debate over the legality since it still had a modified roundhole wich could be viewed as a method or feature for one-hand opening.

Therefore i need to ask if Spyderco has any plans to reconsider making any knifes wich would comply to our knifelaws here in denmark, or (even better) have an option to buy a replacement blade without the roundhole?

I am aware that the roundhole is the signature of Spyderco, and a blade without it would be like a blade with no logo, but i was imagining having the hole replaced with the Scarab or similar logo laser engraved in place of the roundhole. This option would make most Spyderco models legal to own, but there would still be restrictions to where and when they could be legally carried.

I understand that the market for these "Denmark-legal" knives is small and that they might end up costing more than regular Spyderco knives, but i know that i myself would be willing to make this sacrifice. And there might be other places in the world were the laws are similar but where the user would like a cooler alternative to a Swiss army knife.....

Sorry for this long post, but i needed to explain my problem in order to get the right responses.

Take Care.

Claus Christensen
Denmark
Ted

Post by Ted »

Hi Claus, I once thought of 'mirror polishing' a virtual spyderhole, perhaps on a bead blasted blade to make it stand out.

Another option would be to have a normal hole, but to have it covered by the handle (blade sits deep in handle) when closed so that the hole is there, but that it just doesn't allow for one hand opening. If only 1mm is exposed or so, it could work as a nail-nick.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Gyssedk, enjoy it here, lots of good folks.

The C94GDK looks a lot like the Urban. Just measured the Blade length on mine and it came in at 2-1/2". A plug for the Spyderhole might take some custom work though. I don't know if Soyderco has contemplated anything like that.

In the meantime check out the Urban and see what you think. I really enjoy mine :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
phaust

Post by phaust »

Maybe Spyderco would be willing to make a slipjoint with a Scagel-style nail nick?

http://www.google.com/images?q=scagel+f ... 71&bih=940 for those unfamiliar with it.

It's not a round hole, but neither is the Byrd opener. Being a hole, it's still got a Spyderco flavor to it.

It doesn't make it one handed opening, but it's great for pinching opening and using as a regular nail nick.

I'd be all over a traditional slipjoint from Spyderco. Throw in a Scagel nail nick, and I'd drool.
gyssedk

Post by gyssedk »

dbcad wrote:Welcome Gyssedk, enjoy it here, lots of good folks.

The C94GDK looks a lot like the Urban. Just measured the Blade length on mine and it came in at 2-1/2". A plug for the Spyderhole might take some custom work though. I don't know if Soyderco has contemplated anything like that.

In the meantime check out the Urban and see what you think. I really enjoy mine :)
The problem with the Urban is that it has been constructed to be one-hand opening. And according to danish law this makes it illegal to own, and according to the general interpretation, it would be illegal even if it was modified by welding the hole closed.

The knifelaws are even so ambiguous that it states that IF a knife CAN be opened with one hand it is considered one-hand opening.... this would in the strictest sense make the Gerber gator illegal since i can easily open this knife with one hand.... But this part has to my knowledge never been enforced.

Ted mentioned a mirror polished "hole" and that is also an option, i had been thinking of a jeweled hole, put one of these options on a Millitary and i will buy the first 2 made!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm intrigued by the idea of a jeweled hole. It'll be interesting to see what other ideas come up :)
Charlie

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Spyderhole opener is a Spyderco trademark. They even put a round hole in the blades of their fixed blade knives to emphasize that. So I think eliminating it all together won't fly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

did some reading on Danish knife laws. The laws and the way authorities interpret them look tough to get around.

I'm kind of hung up on the idea of plugging the hole on an Urban in such a way that the surface where the hole was turns out smooth and flush. I wouldn't be able to attain the amount of force required to open the Urban one handed after that kind of modification. Opening the Urban without using the hole takes quite a strong pinch. Geussing it would and feel and look very similar to the DKPK.

I feel for you gyssedk. I wonder if there's a way to get pre-approval for a knife by the authorities??

Apologize for not being more help gyssedk. Maybe someone from Spyderco will chime in later with their thoughts on it.
Charlie

gyssedk

Post by gyssedk »

The danish knife laws are not influenced by much logic, they have been changed in order to respond to the criminal use of knives, disregarding the fact that the vast majority of users are using their knives as a tool and not as a weapon. The funny thing is that i can go in to a hardware store and buy a Stanley knife and own it legally, and this knife is one-hand opening and locks the blade, but if i buy a super knife (http://www.superknife.com/) i am breaking the law just by owning it.... no real logic in that is there?

And further more, if i want to buy a fixed blade knife with a blade length over 12 centimeters or 4 3/4" i would need a permit, but if i go in to a store to buy a kitchen knife i dont need this permit since it is a "kitchen knife" so a Spyderco Warrior in my gunsafe would require a permit, but maybe not in my kitchen..... but again, that is up to the judge....

we dont even have a central person from whom we can get permission to alter the design of a folder, you can ask you local police, but the problem might come if the judge does not share his views on the knife, and lastly, the general assumption is that why use a cool folder with all the trimmings if a Swiss army knive can do the job.

And dont even ask me about firearms........
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Gyssedk

As late as July of 2010 they had the C94GDK in stock. Perhaps a collector has more than one or is wiling to sell their copy.

As The Deacon said, some sort of hole in the blade would be required for on a Spyderco. Perhaps a 2 or 3 MM hole without the rounded countersink of the DK would comply.

There is a more radical solution, one that worked for my Mother's parents, they immigrated to the US. :)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
gyssedk

Post by gyssedk »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Gyssedk

There is a more radical solution, one that worked for my Mother's parents, they immigrated to the US. :)
I have been thinking the same thing ;-) my boss is living there now, he sent me a picture to show off his collection, and i might just have spotted a Starlingear Strider amongst his "stuff" :cool:
Morris

Post by Morris »

gyssedk: the girls might not be as pretty here (US), but you can own pretty much any knife you like! :) LOL

It's out of situations like this that interesting solutions are born.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just a crazy idea :o but what about a small hole necked down to a pinhole lens :p Probably impractical, but I've always been fascinated by the concept. Like I said, just a crazy thought. It would be unique.

I have to compliment gyssedk on his/her american english. Well written and idiomatic.
Charlie

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gyssedk,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for taking the time to post your inquiry.

We've been aware of some of the problems with knfe laws throughout the world in recent years. Denmark is one of the more draconian in their attitude towards sharp pointy things in your pocket.

I am not opposed to your request. The DK was in question becaue some with knife experience could open the knife with one hand. We cater to the brits with a number of models and their knife laws are almost as daft as yours.

Let's say that we make a prototype or two with very small holes in the blade at the proper location. Large enough to use with your thumb and index finger to pull the blade open, but too small to actually use one handed. We've been experimenting with this concept for some county's laws. A non-locking Slipit with a blade under 7 cm. We could use our FRN UK handle as a platorm to minimise prototype expense. Once a determination is made, we could make "nicer" versions.

Are you in a postion where you could take such a sample to the "powers that be" and see if it would be acceptable?

sal
sal

Post by sal »

dbcad wrote:Just a crazy idea :o but what about a small hole necked down to a pinhole lens :p Probably impractical, but I've always been fascinated by the concept. Like I said, just a crazy thought. It would be unique.

I have to compliment gyssedk on his/her american english. Well written and idiomatic.
Hi Dbcad,

I think that's a good idea, ecpecially since I am one of those "obsessive/comulsive" types that always carries a 10X lupe with me. I think the lens would be easily scatched and probably expensive to set into place.

sal
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Gyssedk,
I also thought the SFO still had them in stock. If not let me know, I am one of those collectors that have "a few" DKPKs :) It is a very nice carry.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
gyssedk

Post by gyssedk »

First of all, thank you for the help, i am impressed by the speed and quality the replies.

I am also glad to hear that Sal is willing to spend time trying to help us over here and i would be happy to offer what ever assistance i can. The idea of making a prototype and trying to get i approved sounds like the way to go, and i should be able to get in touch with whom ever is able to make this decision, although this could take some time, but that is time i am willing to spend

If i could ask Sal Glesser to contact me directly on my email then we could discuss the further details, and in the meanwhile i will look in to exactly whom I should contact in order to get the show up and running.

If nobody has any objections i will post a link on a danish forum for weapons and knives to see if anybody have more to offer in this matter?

Thank you all so far.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Sal, I was talking about an actual pinhole, had to take down a 20 year old quantum optics book to verify. No lens setting, just necked down to a very small hole, that's probably pretty difficult to machine with a sharp hole edge. Like I said, most likely impractical. Fun to know the idea made you look twice though :)

Let us know what happens gyssedk. I'm interested. I don't think anyone would have a problem with you posting a link to this thread or Spyderco Forums site. I've seen a lot of links posted to threads here on Blade forums and other sites.

That the founder of the company replies and offers help further reinforces my belief that this company truly is interested and does care. I have to say I'm proud to own Spyderco :D
Charlie

Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

is there such a thing as a reverse lock?
a slip joint knife that you would have to manuver a lock to open the knife.
you could still have the spydie hole there but just be there for design purpose.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I feel bad for the reasonable, rational people of Denmark like Gyssedk, having to deal with such absolute nonsense.

It is said that a people get the government that they tolerate. Since the knife laws there in Denmark suck so bad, they need redress. Someone, or some group, or some group of groups will have to do some work to get the country's lawmakers to fix this deplorable situation and bring some sensibility into play. Is there any chance of that happening? Or are the majority of Danes (is that the right word?) brainwashed into believing that these laws are protecting them?

I wish you luck, Gyssedk. You are clearly articulate and intelligent and rational. I would hope that perhaps you can be an organizing force for what needs to be done. People should not have to live under such onerous and useless laws.

And was crime really that bad in Denmark before these laws were enacted to "address" it? One hardly thinks of the typical Dane being a rough-and-tumble criminal type. A further question: If crime was indeed that bad, did it decline after the laws came about? My bet would be "No." A gun ban didn't save Washington, D.C., as we all know.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."