A plea to Mr. Glesser.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

jonsidneyb wrote:Hi Jeffrey :)
Hi. Are you here to welcome me back?
It's been a while.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

ngraudal, just wanted to share a pic of something Danish. I don't know exactly where and when my father came up with this, he was pretty well traveled. Kind of a symbolic gesture of solidarity with the Danish knife community. I would love to see this in person.

Jeffery, we both have the same opinion, however it is up to folks in different parts of the world to resolve their differences with their gov't in their own way. We all enjoy the sharp pointy things... :)
Attachments
kalunborg kirken.jpg
kalunborg kirken.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gyssedk

Post by gyssedk »

That is "Vor frue kirke" (Church of our lady) in Kalundborg, a city in the north west of Seeland, the biggest island in Denmark. I have worked there back in my scaffolding days. Funny to see it in this forum ;-)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

ngraudal wrote:...If Sal think it could be funny to mock the danish DoJ, then I would suggest making the hole in the handle instead, to symbolise that "there is something rotten in the state of Denmark".
Let it never be said the Danes have no sense of humor. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ngraudal

Post by ngraudal »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Let it never be said the Danes have no sense of humor. :D
It's all we have left :D
sal

Post by sal »

Legal Beagle wrote:If the issue is one of intent in manufacture, then I would like to respectfully submit the following suggestion:

- start by creating a model that is specific to the Danish market in every regard
- replace the one-handed opening hole (which serves equally as a "signature" feature as a OHO feature) with a cut-out "Spyderbug" scaled down to appropriate dimesions.

In other words, make a UK penknife with this instead of the round hole:
http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/STK1_L.jpg

The design would not be for OHO, but for use as a "signature" and reducing knockoffs, copyright violations, and other intentional intellectual property crimes.

I don't know enough about Danish law, but I think that would easily pass muster in the courts here.
Hi Beagle,

Our trademark is a round hole in a certain location on the blade. Trademarks cannot be changed at will once registered.

With many companies trying to "look" like Spyderco, it's important that we maintain our trademark with consistency.

sal
ngraudal

Post by ngraudal »

sal wrote:Hi Beagle,

Our trademark is a round hole in a certain location on the blade. Trademarks cannot be changed at will once registered.

With many companies trying to "look" like Spyderco, it's important that we maintain our trademark with consistency.

sal
Exactly how big does the hole have to be? Or, how small would you allow it to become?

Looking at the different models I think that an Urban Slipit with a modified blade and strong backspring would be good.

This thread has made me very excited ( Stroking piggy bank, don't you worry, I have superglue...)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ngraudal,

It isn't so much the size of the hole as the location and that it be round, and a hole. "Identity" is the issue. You have to be able to say" that's a Spyderco" simply by looking at the blade.

Kinda like a Dodge grill. They are very good about using their "vertical cross" so you can identifhy the vehicle as a Dodge as soon as you see the grill. BMW and Volvo as well.

I think that a Slipit like the DK or the Urban would work with a small hole that's too small to get enough of your thumb in to overcome the spring.

It is fortunate that we have more Danes on the forum. When we first made the DK, we couldn't get enough feedback to know what direction in which to go.

sal

------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, invention, design, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm hoping good things will come to the Danish knife and steel enthusiasts also.

It's very enjoyable conversing with folks from all over the world :)

Very interested in seeing what form this Denmark friendly folder will take. I never flick my knives open, rather choose to use the thumbhole to open them in a smooth controlled way.

Jens Anso is from Denmark I believe. He's a very talented designer.

I'm glad you folks came to the forum and am glad I've been able to extend to you a Southern US welcome.

Spyderco is a different company from the rest, that difference is in my opinion the thought and care they put into the products as well as the service they provide.

Went on a little longer than I intended, happens sometimes. Best to y'all
Charlie

ngraudal

Post by ngraudal »

Thank you for your quick response Sal.

Would a hole like this:

Still be a Spyderco-hole, regarding location size and visibility?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ngraudal,

Similar, but the hole location would be more towards the center of where the original hole was.

sal
ngraudal

Post by ngraudal »

dbcad wrote:I'm hoping good things will come to the Danish knife and steel enthusiasts also.

It's very enjoyable conversing with folks from all over the world :)

Very interested in seeing what form this Denmark friendly folder will take. I never flick my knives open, rather choose to use the thumbhole to open them in a smooth controlled way.

Jens Anso is from Denmark I believe. He's a very talented designer.

I'm glad you folks came to the forum and am glad I've been able to extend to you a Southern US welcome.

Spyderco is a different company from the rest, that difference is in my opinion the thought and care they put into the products as well as the service they provide.

Went on a little longer than I intended, happens sometimes. Best to y'all
I have been snooping around and looking at the different sub-fora and there is a very pleasant tone and atmosphere here. It's a bit like a quiet corner of the internet, if that exists.

After having had a look around I definately NEED a spyderco folder now. I guess I will have to order a persistence to my girlfriends adress in Germany, I need something to peel onions with when I go to visit her ;)

We have several talented fulltime knifemakers here in Denmark, Jens Ansø and Jesper Voxnaes springs to mind. I know Ansø has made a folding knife that is legal EDC over here, it is part of Bökers collection as a collaboration.
ngraudal

Post by ngraudal »

sal wrote:Hi Ngraudal,

Similar, but the hole location would be more towards the center of where the original hole was.

sal

:)
Thank you Sal.
Would this be a Spyderco Europe then? EDC'able in the entire EU I would think.
I think it is amazing that even though you run the entire Spyderco company you still have the time to talk to the users of your product. I will have to visit your factory in Golden some day to leave you a note :)

Niels
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

sal wrote:Hi Ngraudal,

sal
Would the Spyderco look be more obvious with the illustrated small center hole and an outline of standard thumb hole location, either laser etched or a series of tiny laser holes?

This would emphasize the Spyderco look and still not provide an advantage for OHO.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pinetreebbs,

We would probably end up modifying the blade shape as well. Probably leave enough hump to work as a thumb ramp, but reduce the amount of exposed blade.

Before I "evolved" to a hole, I used a variety of methods to "rough up" the surface of the blade to one hand open. "rough" became dent, dent became hole. Too much "rough" and it becomes possible to one hand open.

Hi Ngraudal,

Thanx for the kind words. I must admit that I do have a great staff that runs the company. I'm more involved with R&D and product development. Both hands and feet on every model. The forumites here are very knowledgable in many areas and I learn from them and share knowledge and thoughts with them.

Our forum is generally quite civil. An occassional tantrum like families have, but quickly resoved. I hope you enjoy your time here.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We are all teachers and we are all students.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

This forum is a beacon of civility -- actually, something of a marvel.
I've been around forums that left a lot to be desired, in terms of both member and moderator behavior. I feel proud to be part of this one. The quality of this forum is reflection, I think, of the quality of Spyderco's products.

If you enjoy this forum for the civility and the high-quality discourse, and you're into the subject of slinging, you'd feel right at home at slinging.org as well.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
gyssedk

My interpretation of a DK model.

Post by gyssedk »

Took my liberty at photoshop, and i dont think the result is all that bad, offcourse it does not look like a standard Spyderco, and i would understand if Sal didnt think it followed their established design.

But what does the man himself think about this franken-knife?
Attachments
Spyderco Urban-DK.jpg
Spyderco Urban-DK.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Legal Beagle

Post by Legal Beagle »

sal wrote:Hi Beagle,

sal
Sal,

I had given more thought to trying to work around the issues of Danish law than I had in keeping with the notion of branding and what actually makes a Spyderco a Spyderco knife -- talk about missing the point!

The Spyderco Caspian2 Salt has a very small round hole that is obviously not designed for OHO. I'd like to offer that as my revised suggestion:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=289
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Gyssedk, glad you like the image of "Vor frue kirke" (Church of our lady). Your photo shop image of the Urban pretty much much fit what I was thinking. We'll see what happens.

Jeffery, appreciate and agree with your thoughts of the forum here, they mirror my own.

Sal, you must be a very busy man. I keep thinking of a line you wrote "Feedback, I'm a designer. I eat feedback" and smile when I imagine your enthusiasm and expertise.

Have to say for me the Urban is a great, useful, and friendly piece :)

I'm in the right place :)
Charlie

JontaK

Post by JontaK »

I've been reading here for a couple of years on and off, about time to register and start posting! :D

It's very interesting to read about your Danish knife laws, especially since I'm from Sweden (for those who don't know; Sweden is connected to Denmark by a bridge and the two countries are very similar in many aspects).
I'm not a law expert at all but as far as I know we have a knifelaw, "Knivlagen", that is much like the Danish. I'm sure that the countries in the EU will get more or less identical knifelaws some time soon.
I'll maybe go in to some specifics later but for now a short story will do., here's how our knifelaw works in the real world:

Some time ago a flyfisherman got stopped by police a in a random check. If he was on his way to or from the water I don't know.
He was wearing his fishing clothes, in his car were all of his fishing gear (how else would you transport it?) along with his fishing knife of course, pretty obvious.
The police spots the knife in the car, it was in the backseat I think. I don't remember if they chose to give him a fine on the spot or if they charged him with breaking "Knivlagen" and a judge decided to fine him but the fisherman got a fine in the end anyway.

At that time it only was, and still is, permitted to carry a knife for certain purposes (like fishing and hunting or if your job requires it, carpenters for example).
Luckily, he didn't have to pay the fine because he finally got through stating the obvious reason that he needed the blade for fishing and had to transport it to and from the water in his car.
Since I heard that story, long time ago and I sadly don't remember all the facts, at least to friends of mine has had similar experiences when fishing near populated areas, transporting knives etc.

This is just examples of how "the law" sees knives in this country; even though they are permitted in some cases you don't want to get caught with one at any time.
Like with every other law it's about politics, I'm not so keen to get it to that here but I can tell you that some portions of our knifelaw stems from increases in violent crimes with knives involved as well as research into that same subject.
I do however think that the politics around knives actually is an interesting subject to discuss in a knifeforum.

I too would be more than glad to see a knife that is legal in our Scandinavian countries. For you in the US it's probably the most natural thing in the world having a knife as part of your EDC-kit, please spent a thought to how it would be not having that right.
I do not now if it's legal at all to carry a knife of any kind in Sweden, I've heard rumors on totalbans but haven't checked it out myself yet.
I will do a quick study on Swedish knifelaws and get back on the subject if the discussion progressess that way.

Well, that was my first post. Sorry for being slightly OT as the topic actually is about Denmark. :D

Edit:gyssedk, That last photoshopped knife looks sweet, the blade with a hole that size reminds me of the one on my Temperance 2. Nice Fjällräven's also! ;)