The good, the bad, the ugly: Spyderco Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

I would like to see larges screws, not to be afraid taking the knife apart to clean and not damage the tiny screws. Pivot bushing, as on para 2, basicaly for the same reason. Also another clip, to ride in the pocket deeper. Would be an absolutely perfect knife, imho.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

couple things hold me back on one, no liners. and no tip up. tip up is the way i carry all my folders and wont buy a knife with tip down only carry. size is another issue, id probubly make a sheath if i had one. lastly i already have a large folder that is in this category pou. zt 0300.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

bada61265 wrote:couple things hold me back on one, no liners. and no tip up. tip up is the way i carry all my folders and wont buy a knife with tip down only carry. size is another issue, id probubly make a sheath if i had one. lastly i already have a large folder that is in this category pou. zt 0300.
There are liners in it, just not full liners. This allows the Military to be light, while remaining strong. For large blades like this, I prefer tip down, since it would take longer for the hand do go down the handle and access the Spyder hole. Obviously, how I stand on the issue of tip down on this knife is an opinion.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Markous

Let me explain it this way

Post by Markous »

I would not change a thing

The Good :D

The Bad :cool:

And the Ugly :p

The picture that won me a PPT (check Sept in your Spydy calender ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
440V, ATS-34, S30V, BG42, S90V, D2 & M4 :D A few of my favorite things
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Markous wrote:
I would not change a thing
Agreed!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I would make the military have tip up carry option, and make the finger choil a little bigger. that about it though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Gunslinger wrote:I would make the military have tip up carry option, and make the finger choil a little bigger. that about it though.
Get something else, don't mess with our millies. ;)
KBR

Post by KBR »

IMO, the Military is as close to perfect as a knife can get....

Some years back, I carried a 440V Military PE in my pocket religiously and it rarely left my side. I was so taken by such an awesome knife in a lightweight package that I also had the ComboEdge and SpyderEdge versions. During the three years, or so, that the Millie served as my EDC, it never let me down. No exotic steels.....no different colored G10....and no Spyder on the blade.....just a 'butt ugly', full sized, ergonomic handle with an awesome blade that had the word MILITARY stamped on it. I may be in the minority, but I was proud to see that word etched on the blade.....screw political correctness. :rolleyes:

Looking back, I don't know what I was thinking when I retired my Millies after buying a Large Regular Sebenza but lately, I have found that this Spyder has bitten me again. I had picked up a full Ti Military from New Graham some months back but didn't find it to my liking due to the majority of the weight being in the Ti scales. One of the best attributes of the Military, is the weight of the knife being in the blade, thus allowing(via Spydiedrop) lightning fast deployment. Of course, the tip down carry assists with the quick deployment as well. :cool:

This morning, I'm eagerly awaiting for the kickoff of this weekend's gun show where I am going Millie hunting to see what I can find....hope I don't break the bank. :D

Enough of my lollygagging......all I have to say is that, IMHO, the Military is perfect...AS IS. As Chuck said, "Get something else, don't mess with our millies." :cool:
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
MCM

Post by MCM »

I have one I converted to tip up a couple yrs ago.
An S90v model. It gets more carry time than the tip down Military models I own.
The Military's I have owned have such a strong ball detent, tip up is no problem. And for me, much easier to open. To me, tip down is awkward as I have to reposition my thumb. Tip up, its right there.

But do agree, would hate to change the knife too much.
(But we do have the Ti models now, so maybe a little change is good?)

Will convert an M4 next to tip up. Just looking for the perfect deep carry clip.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Without doubt Military is a great knife. To satisfy my need I would change just couple things: tip up carry and make it a little smaller. Sounds like I am talking about para2. So Sal and Eric already did this. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dialex

Post by dialex »

HotSoup wrote:Change nothing. The knife is perfect.
I wouldn't even want the clip movable, with the added holes in the G-10.
My thoughts, exactly :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I hate it when you're in the middle of cutting up a bunch of boxes, and the opening hole binds in the cardboard. And it doesn't just slow it down, it gets stuck, as in, it needs a real yank to get the blade out.

The best option I can think of is to move the hole 1/8" back toward the handle (the hole should be less than 50% in the blade grind), as well as moving the thumb ramp back the same distance, since the hole would otherwise be a chomp in the side of the knife and not a hole.
To keep the same distance between the hole and the handle scales while opening, you would need to trim a little off the handle where the finger choil is, fortunately it looks like there's enough room on the tang to trim it to match (while closed) and still hit the stop pin in its current position.
Joshua,
I fear that even a 1/8" move toward the handle could seriously change the opening ergos for the knife. Have you tried chamfering or rounding the edges of the blade hole? I would think that could help significantly.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Ankerson wrote:I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)
... or tinker with it until it breaks and then fix it.

j
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK