Kudos to Gayle and Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Kudos to Gayle and Sal

Post by toomzz »

This morning my Gayle Bradley M4 arrived in the mail. After having read a lot about this knife the M4, Sage-like CF pattern and the linerlock made me decide to get one.
I am impressed; the liners are fat (1,8 mm), opening is smooth and I like the blade shape. With its under 90 mm bladelength the knife is streetlegal here in Holland where I spend most of my time.
The blade is supersharp factory-ground and it is my first CPM M4. The knife will become a user and not just a showcase-piece, so more experiences to write about. I am curious what the blade does in edge retention, resharpening and patina-forming.
The markings are deeper and engraved as far as I can see and not etched.

One little downside is the fact that the hole is not fully exposed when the blade is closed. But this minor and I will modify this, so the blade will be better accessable and the linerlock easier to disengage.

One question: I have the second production run (KJ 11-2010) with the Bradley-logo and 'Taichung Taiwan'. Mine has skeletonized liners. Was the first run skeletonized as well? I read those liners where full....

Kudos gentleman, keep them coming!
Cheers from the Dutchman in Germany,
Tomas
Tom
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

toomzz wrote:With its under 90 mm bladelength the knife is streetlegal here in Holland where I spend most of my time.
There isn't a 90mm maximum bladelength, except for balisongs and automated knives. Normal folding knives can be up to 28cm overall length ;)
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hi Bruce,

thanks for this addition. I thought all auto's, balisongs and gravityknives were forbidden both to possess and wear and all the other were streetlegal having one edge and a length up to 70 mm with 14 mm bladewidth and up to 90 mm overall bladelength, broader than 14 mm.

Is that 28 cm possession or wear?

Tomas
Tom
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice thread toomzz.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CKE

Post by CKE »

The Bradley is a nice knife. I almost grabbed one but instead chose to replace my Military. The ergos just did not "speak" to me. It was comfortable, but there was just something about the handle I could not get used to.
Fit, finish was excellent.

Congrats!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I will second Toomz' sentiments about the bradley. I too, got my bradley recently(last friday here) and I'm blown away by the quality of this knife. It took me quite a while to decide to get the bradley because I was a bit busy bieng enamored with the military and the chinook 3 of which I wound up getting a few pre-need replacements.

Ok, so I finally got around to getting a bradley and I've been longing to give the CPM-M4 a whirl. After a rebeveling session on the edge pro where I found that the factory edge was around 30 degrees inclusive, I gave it my version of the edge pro polished bevel.

My impression of the CPM-M4 is that is relatively easy to get to a freaky sharp edge(whittles hair into 4 lengthwise pieces) with not too much struggle. After shredding a few pieces of cardboard and some plastic wrap, I found that the edge was still sharp enough to grab a free hanging hair and cut it without support. Although the freaky hair whittling edge was gone it was sharp enough to shave armhair without much effort. My S30V, ZDP, and VG-10 were not quite up to this level of edge retention, so I guess it goes without saying, that I'm loving this steel. :D

A few minutes on a strop loaded with green compound and finished on bare leather and the freaky thing was back to free hanging hair whittling just as sharp as before I started shredding the cardboard and plastic.

I am now thinking about getting a pre-need replacement for this one.

Gratuitous pics.

[img][IMG]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8572 ... radley.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[img][IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/843/ ... adley2.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[img][IMG]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/595/ga ... mirror.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A pre need replacement is on my list for the Bradley also :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have a pair of the first batch without the GB logo - the whole first run had solid liners. Great knife, great value.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't know they made ones without the GB logo. Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

toomzz wrote:... One little downside is the fact that the hole is not fully exposed when the blade is closed. But this minor and I will modify this, so the blade will be better accessable and the linerlock easier to disengage.
I have to ask, "Why?" The hole is partially burried--easy to see from pictures. The lock is burried--easy to see from pictures. So why buy it then ruin, er, modify it when you could have purchased a knife that met your ergonomic needs from the start? :confused:
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Javascript wrote:I have to ask, "Why?" The hole is partially burried--easy to see from pictures. The lock is burried--easy to see from pictures. So why buy it then ruin, er, modify it when you could have purchased a knife that met your ergonomic needs from the start? :confused:
Why not? People could love everything about the bradley, except the partially covered hole and difficult to disengage liner lock, does that mean they are not allowed to buy it?

bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

jzmtl wrote:Why not? People could love everything about the bradley, except the partially covered hole and difficult to disengage liner lock, does that mean they are not allowed to buy it?

i did a more feathered in look when i cut back the liner of my GB, have to post it sometime. a worthy mod in either case, easy access to the lock and full exposure to the spyder hole.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, it´s a manner of opinion whether you modify or not. I think a production knife never fully covers your custom needs. So from that point of view and the fact that it will be a user there is nothing wrong with modifying as long as you know what you are doing. I just opened up the handle and it makes difference in opening and closing. That was what I was looking for :rolleyes:

I will build a nice leather sheath (pancake I think) for this hefty cutter to wear on my belt back on my trousers. The knife is really bulky in the pocket :D

Tomas
Attachments
BRADLEY 004.jpg
BRADLEY 004.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Tom
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Here's a pic of the Bradley with no logo, IIRC the first 200 or so of the first run were like this. Pay no attention to the Endura clip ( I cant remember why I changed it).

J
Attachments
Brad01.jpg
Brad01.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

+1 to everything Chuck said.

I'm all for adapting knives to better suit your personal needs. While I have a few minor issues with the exposed liners, that's nothing some "MY-carta" slabs wont remedy (when I eventually get back around to it). Any of the issues I might have, have never stopped me from loving and putting this design to work. It's also forced any Manix's I had into early retirement. :eek:

The Bradley M4 opened my eyes up to well thought out hollow ground blades. The overall design utilizes CPM M4's hard working attributes tremendously. IMO this is the best production folder showcase for CMP M4 on the market today.

I look forward to seeing more Gayle Bradley designs in the future.

J

While we're at it here is another gratuitous Bradley M4 pic. :D
Attachments
brad02.jpg
brad02.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

jezabel wrote: Pay no attention to the Endura clip ( I cant remember why I changed it).

J
...to save that beautiful blued clip with that equally beautiful pale yellow spider....

;)
Tom
rlw1979777

Old School Bradleys....

Post by rlw1979777 »

It seems the Bradley has gone through three variations since it came out. I have seen some that I have held and used that seemed to lope a little on the edge making me believe the RC hardness isnt quite as high as the first ones. Also the grinds on the newer ones seem to be quite different. Making me think that they were made in another plant. The first ones were perfect, and these are pics of 2 of the first ones, with no logo, one has been BEAT ON everyday for the last year. The other is still in new condition. But if you compare these pics to those of some of the others posted here of the newer skeletonized liner ones its obvious..

And pics after I did just a little cleanup on the EDC

I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

The angle of the grind looks different...
Tom
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It would be interesting if the Rc range had changed. I bought several of the earliest run when I read that they had accidentally been "over"-hardened, but Sal posted that they didn't anticipate changing it...?

I would be amazed if, having gone to the trouble to get a factory set up to produce these to Spyderco's satisfaction, they moved it to another factory, but it's not impossible. There's too much at risk and too much sunk costs - look at the Cat and Chicago episode. :(

Maybe someone from Spyderco can clarify the issues you've identified. You raise some interesting questions.
Tsujigiri

Post by Tsujigiri »

This really is a great knife. I was thinking of buying a second Benchmade 943 instead, because I like that knife so much, but in the end I went with variety. I'm really glad I did, because the Gayle Bradley might not be the best designed knife I have, but it's certainly the best executed. And for the exotic materials and great finishing, I can live with the odd grip and difficult to access lock.