Lets talk photography

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

Evil D wrote:Slack. Lets cut some. ;)
What Spyderco do you think will cut slack the best? ;)
unit

Post by unit »

More....

There is a Spyderco in every photo...Now the question becomes does this belong in "Off Topic" or the "Picture Gallery"? :)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Those are some truly awesome shots Unit! I personally love photos that use light/reflections/shadows to enhance the subject matter, as well as macros and interesting backgrounds.

Too bad I have no experience with photography, and my only camera also happens to be my phone. I want to take a family photo of my spydies some time, now that I have over 20 different models--I guess I can borrow a friend's digital cam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unit that black blade looks really good...you don't see many high quality shots of the black ones.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

Evil D wrote:Unit that black blade looks really good...you don't see many high quality shots of the black ones.
Thanks!

Black blades are quite unpopular it seems. It is like serrations (particularly combo blades)...they seem to be less popular these days, and I think that is why you generally see less photos of them.

At the time I took those images, I had just bought the ultimate pair (IMO) a black on black Military and Paramilitary. I took a lot of neat images and then got into video making...and it all went down hill from there.

One of these days I will wrestle the camera back from my wife and take some more...most of the time I simply whip out my iPhone and do well enough with it to answer whatever question crops up on the forum.

Photos are fantastic tools for conveying information...that is part of the reason I am participating in this thread...almost any topic can benefit from photos...and therefore EVERY forum could use a little discussion regarding improving communication skills once in a while. I understand the guys concerned with this being off topic, but my hopes are that we can tolerate it long enough to improve the quality of sharing on this forum.

To the point, if people take a couple minutes to consider lighting, and take 5 or 6 photos (instead of 1) then sift through them...you would be surprised at the quality of image that you can get with a smart phone. couple that with a low level photo editor (I like to use Picassa) and you are ready to share your thoughts with clarity that words (at least *my* words) will often fail to provide.

You can say, "I reground my edge really thin and polished it up nicely, the bevel is huge", or you can post a simple (even poor quality image) and convey it directly:

Same knife...have you ever tried to describe how to measure a bevel angle on a knife with the Spyderco Gauge? Forget it! Just show this (and say, "its about 8 degrees":
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Spider bite wrote:What Spyderco do you think will cut slack the best? ;)
A really sharp one. ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like them all, but definately not enough people pose the clip sides for me. ;)

- best wishes, Jazz.
electron

Post by electron »

Just a thought, but it seems like it might a natural result of being right-handed. Since most of us tend to hold knives in our right hands (assuming Spyderco doesn't hold some unusually great appeal for lefties), we also tend to see our knives almost exclusively from the left side of the blade. Spend enough time looking at something in a particular orientation and it starts to just look right that way, while the other side seems backward. Obviously there are reasons you might want to show or see the right-hand side of the knife, but for general illustration the left-side perspective is probably more appealing to us even if we don't give it much conscious thought.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

unit wrote:Thanks!

Black blades are quite unpopular it seems. It is like serrations (particularly combo blades)...they seem to be less popular these days, and I think that is why you generally see less photos of them.
Can't be too unpopular, since Spyderco keeps coming out with more of them -- there's black bladed versions of the Assist and Warrior in the 2011 catalog.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Spider bite wrote:What Spyderco do you think will cut slack the best? ;)
A hawkbill, of course.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
addylo

Post by addylo »

Evil D wrote:I really need a new camera. Mine doesn't seem to want to focus worth a **** anymore especially on something with any kind of glare or reflection to it. It's a shame how much i spent on this thing and how badly outdated it is now. It takes typical landscape pics great, just not very good at small close up pics like a knife. Lighting really sucks where i'm at too..i only have a desk lamp to work with. I like to go outside and use natural lighting when i can but i'm usually too lazy since it's 20 degrees out.
Don't throw that camera out yet. Most of those "outdated" models are just fine if you know a few tips.

Don't know if I should even offer this (it's dangerously close to "off topic") but it may be a help to some. One of my hobbies is woodturning. It naturally tends to lead into photography (gotta show your work somehow). I soon learned that most woodturners are older folks with outdated cameras who are constantly wishing they could take a better picture but don't really want to mess with "photography" per se. This tutorial was written for them but it works equally well for any type of product photography. It might help with your knife pics.

Photographing Your Work - A Tutorial

A lot of folks think they need the latest DSLR and lots of expensive gear to take good photos. Hopefully this tutorial proves that that's not always true.

Here's a few shots of my own using the techniques described in the tutorial. And yeah, I use a DSLR but then I do other types of photography (i.e. wildlife, portraits, etc).

My Spydies

Cheers! ;)
C142G, C10GPFG, C81G2, C101G2, C122, C123, C11BK, C11PGRE, C41BK, C94PBL, C136G, C129CFP, C129GP, C148G, C75SS3, C28BK2, C28BK, C130G, C138, JGGY, LBK3, C137, C133