Your thoughts of a UKPK or other Slipit with H-1 Steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Austrian

Your thoughts of a UKPK or other Slipit with H-1 Steel

Post by Austrian »

Hi folks,

I would be interested in your opinion /needs of a UKPK or another Slipit in H-1 Steel and a max. 3 inch cutting edge/blade.

I am sure there are plenty of fishermen, anglers,sailors and other saltwater dude`s or even just other fellas who use there knifes in " wet" conditions like snow, on rivers,etc.... but ARE restricted to using a blade with maximal 3 inches and a non locking mechanism - like Germany, the United Kingdom and many more.

"the slipit that does not rust" would be a blade that i would buy straight away and i also know many people that also would !

Is there a need for such a knife - would you buy one or what are your thoughts ?

would also very much appreciate sal`opinion on such a model !

charlie
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I would buy one.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Problem might be importing H-1 to the US as anything but finished blades. The Japanese are often very reluctant to do things like that. The other question I'd have is how necessary it really is. I'm fairly certain, for example, that fishing and many of the other activities you mention would be considered "good reason" to be carrying a locking folder in the UK.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Austrian

Post by Austrian »

The Deacon wrote:Problem might be importing H-1 to the US as anything but finished blades. The Japanese are often very reluctant to do things like that. The other question I'd have is how necessary it really is. I'm fairly certain, for example, that fishing and many of the other activities you mention would be considered "good reason" to be carrying a locking folder in the UK.
Dear Paul,

I do see your point with your meaning of an angler and a good reason for carrying a locking folder. But there are many other countries where a locking folder is generally a no go . In terms of the united kingdom I do still think people like and prefere to have a legal blade where they do not have to declare a good reason to a copper who is not fully fit with the knife law- I spend a lot of time at the seaside in the uk and do all thoughts of things there and allways like to have a blade on me ...and that was why my thoughts went to a slipit with h-1 steel.

Regards

Charlie
Donut

Post by Donut »

You could try a H1 version of the Urban, that is already a slipjoint made in Japan.

I don't think I've seen a saber ground slipit, though. Have we heard if H1 can be hollow ground? IMO, a hollow ground H1 would work pretty nice.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I'd buy one. Could've used it last night and today ripping open bags of salt. I prefer a non locker when I'm wearing gloves and carried an FRN UKPK for the job (had a vesuvius as back-up, boy, I really like this knife...).
Austrian

Post by Austrian »

Donut wrote:You could try a H1 version of the Urban, that is already a slipjoint made in Japan.

I don't think I've seen a saber ground slipit, though. Have we heard if H1 can be hollow ground? IMO, a hollow ground H1 would work pretty nice.
Hi ,

I must admit that I did not know that there is a h-1 version of the urban !

Thanks for the info !
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Austrian wrote:Hi ,

I must admit that I did not know that there is a h-1 version of the urban !

Thanks for the info !
There isn't, at least not yet. I think he was just suggesting it might be a more viable candidate since it is both a SlipIt and made in Japan.
Paul
Austrian

Post by Austrian »

The Deacon wrote:There isn't, at least not yet. I think he was just suggesting it might be a more viable candidate since it is both a SlipIt and made in Japan.
Yeah i probably did missunderstand it :)
Dr. Bahn

Post by Dr. Bahn »

I would buy one in a heartbeat!! :cool:
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

I use my UKPK as a fishing knife in urban and suburban areas where it isn't safe to carry a locker in London, so it would be a must-buy for me. Can it have serrations too please?

Edit: H1 Urban would be fine too!
DrSpeed

Post by DrSpeed »

A H1 UKPK would be very welcome indeed.
Endura VG-10 Delica ZDP-189 Paramilitary all black Military CPM S30V camo Perrin Street Bowie Tenacious Kiwi 3 Ladybug serrated Byrd Cara Cara G10 Byrd Cara Cara Rescue Byrd Meadowlark Caly 3.5 UKPK Pacific Salt UKPK Rescue
markg

Post by markg »

In theory I would be in. Even though I don't have to carry a non-locking blade where I live, a slip joint does have some advantages. I used a slip joint for many years as a younger man and had more "labor" intensive employment.

However, H1 knives don't come cheap. With the trend towards lowering the cost of the Slip-It line in general not sure how it fits into the business model. I would bet a FRN handled/H1 steel knife made in Japan would run at least double on the street (over the USA made model).

I have always thought an H1 Slip-It would be great, if the economics can be worked out.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

An H1, sub 3" cutting edge, non-locking folder would be a must have knife for me.

It seems like a glaring omission in the line up, since we can get a wide selection of knives from Ladybug to Warrior in H1, but no folder that is acceptable in more restrictive areas of the world.

I accept the economics might be a factor; hope Sal and crew find a way...
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
SLIPITTMS

Post by SLIPITTMS »

I think it could be the most popular spyderco in europe to date, that is if it does get made. oh and in orange, it seems to be the natural colour for such a thing of hypothetical beauty.
SAK

Post by SAK »

H1 UKPK flat with G-10 scales ... that would be GREAT :-)
kind regards SAK

:spyder: EDC-Rotation:
Tenacious G10 - Sage 1 CF - Gayle Bradley CF - Bob Terzuola CF - UKPK CF - Caly 3 CF - Caly 3.5 G10 - Native 5 G10 - Dragonfly G10 - Delica 4 G10
:spyder: Dreamlist:
Chaparral CF - UKPK TI - Urban G10 - Delica 4 custom/wood
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SAK wrote:H1 UKPK flat with G-10 scales ... that would be GREAT :-)
If by flat you mean full flat ground, that's not likely. Sal has said that FFG is not feasible on a production H-1 blade. That's why all the H-1 knives to date have been hollow saber ground. Of course, you could always have someone regrind it for you.
Paul
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd be all over a H1 slipit...would prefer a ukpk, but an urban would be good too.
On the hunt for...
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

It'd have to be an FRN (fairly cheap) for me to buy it right now and it would be best to make it cheap for the fishing market ... but I think an H1 UKPK/Urban is a really good idea and it fills an obvious gap in the slipit product line. I have a friend who has been looking for a salt-water-proof knife for beach combing and working near the sea but he doesn't want a locker because he doesn't want to have to explain himself if stopped by the police. The worry is that to him he might have a good reason but the police officer might not agree and he doesn't want the hassle of having to explain it down at the station ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)