Now that I have the Paramilitary 2 in my hand, what was all that hype about?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SnowCrash

Now that I have the Paramilitary 2 in my hand, what was all that hype about?

Post by SnowCrash »

I mean sure it's a good small sized folder, but the lock doesn't make for easy one handed closing, as well as being tough to press in to disengage, and the blade locks itself into place two clicks (weird). Aside from that, it looks nice and the g10 is grippy...yet another knife I can't understand the price tag justifying itself. Is it all because it's made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Got my popcorn and drinks ready for this thread. :D
OtisCampbell

Post by OtisCampbell »

Edit: ooops, thought you were talking about the sprint Para 2...
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

You know, I can feel all the flames being fed gasoline right this moment as many are reading this thread, but I am actually serious about where all the hype came from
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Give it to me then :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's all perspective and opinions really. I'm holding back my gut-reflex responses I normally would type. Your hand won't lie to you. If you don't like it, sell it.

Goodluck :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna have to break out my camcorder and shoot a video of how to handle this lock because i too didn't get it at first. It is probably the forth easiest lock i can think of to operate one handed, behind a liner/frame lock and the ball bearing lock and the bolt action lock. One press with your index finger and the blade falls shut. It doesn't get much easier than that.

But hey...to each his own. You can't expect not to get rave reviews on a Spyderco knife when you're on a Spyderco forum. I won't bash you for not loving it...i would suggest selling it while the knife is hot on the market and/or return it for a refund.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
unit

Post by unit »

Perhaps you could trade it for a 940?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I find it to be the easiest lock to operate one handed to open (even without the spyderhole) and close, including the AXIS lock, just pinch the lock between thumb and index finger and wrist flick open and closed, super easy. Aside from that its ergonomics, simplicity of design (open back, not many parts, super strong lock) that makes it so great, of course the ergonomics will vary from person to person, and IMO the 3.5 inch range is the best blade size for EDC.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

OtisCampbell wrote:The thrill of the hunt and exclusivity is undeniably part of it... :rolleyes:
Nah, it's all about the steel. Not too many companies are willing to put the time and investment into working this stuff correctly. :spyder: As always, ymmv! :rolleyes:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It will close easily with one hand soon, use it a little more. This is a sweet knife.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

unit wrote:Perhaps you could trade it for a 940?
Hah!

Thanks Unit. :D
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
unit

Post by unit »

araneae wrote:Hah!

Thanks Unit. :D
;)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

You're talking about the S30v version, right? Not the Sprint run.

I've handled enough knives to know what my hands like. And for me, this knife fit my hands like no other. I mean Spyderco knives are famous for their ergos but the Para 2 is better than most. I like the new pivot system but the Manix 2 is a bit too big for EDC and so the Para 2 happens to be the perfectly sized knife with the new pivot. That and the light weight makes it the perfect fit for me.

If it doesn't work for you, then pass it on and continue your search. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I'm gonna have to break out my camcorder and shoot a video of how to handle this lock because i too didn't get it at first. It is probably the forth easiest lock i can think of to operate one handed, behind a liner/frame lock and the ball bearing lock and the bolt action lock. One press with your index finger and the blade falls shut. It doesn't get much easier than that.

But hey...to each his own. You can't expect not to get rave reviews on a Spyderco knife when you're on a Spyderco forum. I won't bash you for not loving it...i would suggest selling it while the knife is hot on the market and/or return it for a refund.
I already made one. :)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpZTimAuafw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpZTimAuafw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

No one plays devil's advocate like SnowCrash ;)
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

hey ankerson how did you get that real nice mirror effect on your cutting edge? i'm guessing its some form of sharpening and polishing but i don't know the specifics
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Linguini3 wrote:hey ankerson how did you get that real nice mirror effect on your cutting edge? i'm guessing its some form of sharpening and polishing but i don't know the specifics
I use the Edge Pro sharpening system. :)
Linguini3

Post by Linguini3 »

Ankerson wrote:I use the Edge Pro sharpening system. :)
sweet i'll check it out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I noticed you use your thumb to close. That's the way i originally tried closing it and it wore out my thumb pretty fast. Once i started using my index finger i finally "got it".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David