Now that I have the Paramilitary 2 in my hand, what was all that hype about?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SnowCrash wrote:
It's a good blade, like I said, but you can get better for the money if you looked at some of the other spyderco models IMO...
Name some that are objectively better and not just your opinion. ;)
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

^Stretch VG10, Stretch ZDP/FRN...erm, Stretch...

:D Massive dose of personal opinion above.

In all honesty, Chuck is right-the Para2, in terms of build quality and materials, is the best value out there for under a hundred bucks discounting personal opinion, maybe (MAYBE) excepting the Manix 2.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Well it looks to me like your problem with the knife is more aesthetic than anything. Funny, I have had the very opposite luck with my Benchmade purchases. Not a Benchmade slam as I like their knives and their designs. I own 4. Both size grips, a vex and a 940. The large grip came with blade wobble and the 940 came with blade wobble and dull. Surprisingly the one that came the sharpest, tightest and bet fit and finish was the foreign made vex.

Still I made them all usable with some tweaks. Further, I would trust the comp lock over a back lock anyday. You really can't find a better lock system except maybe with the Axis lock. Don't get me wrong, I like my Endura's too but I have had pocket lint cause the lock to fail and cut the **** out of myself.

If you really just can't warm up to it, get rid of it. I would put it to good hard use and then see what you think of it but that's just me.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

It seems like your opinion of the knife has nothing to do with it's utility, ergonomics, quality of materials or workmanship. I really am curious in what way you were expecting it to be different? Also it's kind of obvious that this was a foregone conclusion for you seeing as you already made a thread saying you shouldn't bother getting it and it offered nothing you didn't already have etc...if you already thought that, why the heck did you pull the trigger, especially at a higher price than most people have paid (I'm still waiting on mine, but I paid $105 including shipping).

It really seems like there is absolutely nothing that could have been different about the Para 2 to make you like it, you had already made you mind up. I look into my knives and always know what to expect, so as I said before, I'm really wondering what you could have expected to be different about it
unit

Post by unit »

OK, so in summary....

A guy asks a bunch of strangers if he ought to buy a knife.

The crowd of strangers says it is a good value and it exceeds their expectations.

The guy buys the knife.

There is nothing wrong with the knife, but

He does not like it.

Sound about right? It is life, we are not all alike. Lets move on...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Well put.
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

I got a Para2 CF S90v, and I love it! I feel that it lives up to its hype, it is exacly right for me :)

I EDC it, and studied it yesterday. Then I noticed that the tip was "broken, or it looked more like it was made of a soft steel, I cant describe it exactly" 1-2mm off. The strange thing is that I have only used it for cutting tape and cardboard yet. It remains a mystery.
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

p3pe, can you post a picture of the tip?
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

I will do, just have to get home from work (in 3hours). Im planning on sharpening it today, but I can take some pictures first and post here :)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
ffbeerd

Post by ffbeerd »

Snow,

It sounds like you don't truely understand the value of the materials put into making a knife. If you'd like a nice, slick-aluminum handle, in D2 or S30V, for a minimum price of $150, then that's your opinion.

You may be like me, and prefer a nice, grippy G-10 handle, in S30V, for a minimum price of $100.

I'd challenge you to even buy the raw materials and find someone to manufacturer the knife in bulk for $50/ea, like you thought it was worth...

The Endura and Civilian are great knives though too, depending on what you really use them for :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's OK to feel as you do and it is OK to not be satisfied with a knife, despite what the fanboys here would have you believe. There is no requirement that you have to like every knife Spyderco churns out. Maybe the Para2 just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe a different Spydie will suit your preferences better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jay_Ev wrote:It's OK to feel as you do and it is OK to not be satisfied with a knife, despite what the fanboys here would have you believe. There is no requirement that you have to like every knife Spyderco churns out. Maybe the Para2 just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe a different Spydie will suit your preferences better.
I don't think anyone here is saying that he has to like the knife or else....

Some of the other things he said like some other knives are better quality etc when they clearly aren't made from the same materials. It's the reasoning that makes no since at all. ;)

If one doesn't like a knife model that's fine, but don't say another knife is better when it's clearly made from lesser materials and a value knife.

The S30V Para 2 is a $100 knife and that's what I paid for mine as many others have also and at that price it's a great value no doubt.
kawr

Post by kawr »

Snowcrash is entitled to his opinions but it becomes a problem when he defies all logic and says random nonsense like the para 2 should cost $50. Thats straight up stupid. Enjoy your extremely high value $150 940 with tacky aluminum scales and silly reverse tanto grind with inferior ht s30v blade. :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

SnowCrash wrote:...In all honesty I think the Endura ffg beats it in every way possible with half the cost, but that's my opinion...
I think I understand what you mean, I do love the Endura myself. However, in this case I'd stick to the Paramillie. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've responded to this twice and intentionally deleted both posts. This one will stick! *chants "Shiny Footprints" and happy thoughts*

The key problem that I think is going on is the delivery of the message, not the message itself. If you break it down without focusing on words like, "hype" and "butthurt" :rolleyes: , it's just a question.

1.) The ergos don't seem perfect for me. Am I alone?
2.) The design seems simple to me. Am I alone?
3.) The lock is a little clunky and I didn't read about it to know the details.
4.) What goes into the price of a knife with these materials and workmanship?

See, those elements are very basic. Arguably that is more point-blank than some people yet doesn't contain the same rhetoric (whether intended or not).

Conversation is a very tough thing and that is not a slight to anyone in particular. It's just like all art forms that require mastery; none of us have perfected it.

There are people in this world who could tell me about one of my loved ones who died from a terminal disease and I would cry, hug, and thank them. There are other people I would drop in 80's Mike Tyson fashion.

The typed word removes non-verbals and vocal inflection. It still isn't easy. ;)
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

Well it sounds like you can mark this one off the bucket list. Plenty of other knives out there.
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

kawr wrote:Snowcrash is entitled to his opinions but it becomes a problem when he defies all logic and says random nonsense like the para 2 should cost $50. Thats straight up stupid. Enjoy your extremely high value $150 940 with tacky aluminum scales and silly reverse tanto grind with inferior ht s30v blade. :)
1) Tacky aluminum? Never had a slipping problem, always has good grip AND it'll beat g10 in strength, as well as being 2.9 ounces compared to the para's 3.7 ounces.

2) Even though it is a bigger blade, it the knife is still lighter than the para2. Reverse tanto is not "silly". Do you think tanto's are silly when it comes to penetrating power and strength? I think not, this gets the benefit of that durable tip as well as the belly of a regular blade.

3) The lock is much smoother and easier to operate, also according to some more durable than the compression lock. You can simply flick the blade 180 degrees without destroying your fingers like you would with the comp lock, and part of the blade hitting your index finger if you pinch it with your thumb/index

4) How is the s30v inferior to the paramilitary's? Because it's slightly less rust resistant? please.

5) You can call it tacky, but I think the BM940 is the nicest looking gentleman's folder/tactical edc around.

^Feel free to disagree, but that is my logic behind choosing one over the other. I also do not feel that FRN is inferior to G10, or that VG10 steel is inferior to S30V, so the argument that the endura was not comparable is invalid

Honestly though, I'm giving this knife a chance and holding off on trading it in for a Ti Military or another benchmade 940 in D2. I've been edc'ing it since yesterday and as I thought, it's a good blade, but not something that gives me joy to own and carry- the blade is just too small and lock too stubborn imo
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Mjolnir74 wrote:Well it sounds like you can mark this one off the bucket list. Plenty of other knives out there.
Actually, no. ;) I had a Para 1 and wasn't too impressed. This one made me put the Para 2 up near the top of the list. But as you say, there are lots of knives for people to choose from.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

SnowCrash wrote:1) Tacky aluminum? Never had a slipping problem, always has good grip AND it'll beat g10 in strength, as well as being 2.9 ounces compared to the para's 3.7 ounces. In usability G-10 wins, try using your 940 in sub-zero weather or in 115 degree heat without gloves.

2) Even though it is a bigger blade, it the knife is still lighter than the para2. Reverse tanto is not "silly". Do you think tanto's are silly when it comes to penetrating power and strength? I think not, this gets the benefit of that durable tip as well as the belly of a regular blade.Sorry again, the "reverse tanto" in the 940 is not going to gain you anything in real world usefulness.

3) The lock is much smoother and easier to operate, also according to some more durable than the compression lock. You can simply flick the blade 180 degrees without destroying your fingers like you would with the comp lock, and part of the blade hitting your index finger if you pinch it with your thumb/indexAmazingly, you are the only person I have yet met to complain that a comp lock was difficult to operate. My 7yo. nephew has no problems with mine.

4) How is the s30v inferior to the paramilitary's? Because it's slightly less rust resistant? please. This one can stand as I see no difference in the two.

5) You can call it tacky, but I think the BM940 is the nicest looking gentleman's folder/tactical edc around. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

^Feel free to disagree, but that is my logic behind choosing one over the other. I also do not feel that FRN is inferior to G10, or that VG10 steel is inferior to S30V, so the argument that the endura was not comparable is invalidSorry, your perception is not backed by quantitative fact- S30V is more durable than VG-10 and G-10 is a huge improvement over FRN. Just cold hard fact.

Honestly though, I'm giving this knife a chance and holding off on trading it in for a Ti Military or another benchmade 940 in D2. I've been edc'ing it since yesterday and as I thought, it's a good blade, but not something that gives me joy to own and carry- the blade is just too small and lock too stubborn imo
Nothing personal, but if the "cool" factor of an item outweighs its usability and safety then your priorities are in need of adjustment. And you never answered my pertinent questions in the earlier portion of this thread.

OldHoosier
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Nothing personal, but if the "cool" factor of an item outweighs its usability and safety then your priorities are in need of adjustment. And you never answered my pertinent questions in the earlier portion of this thread.

OldHoosier
You say i do not value "usability" and "safety", yet I find FRN to be much more grippy than g10. G10 is like scotch tape and FRN is like gritty sandpaper. VG10 is less prone to chipping while s30v, especially with a tip like the para's is prone to breaking. The reverse tanto design is genius by my book, I do not know what "real world" you live in where tanto logic is garbage. And as for the lock, you do not have to try to lower my self esteem or whatever you are trying to do by bringing your 7 year old nephew into this, because I said that the axis lock is smoother- also if you haven't been paying attention, there have been problems with the first production of compression locks on the para2.

What "pertinent questions" did you have for me earlier in this thread? Can't expect me to nitpick at every single attack aimed towards me in this thread :rolleyes: