GITD Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

gbelleh wrote:I charged mine with a bright flashlight before going to bed. It is probably bright enough to read a book with. I woke up after 5 hours of total darkness, and it was still glowing at least as bright as the tritium locator in the flashlight next to it on the nightstand.
Agreed. Fully charging from a flashlight or longterm exposure from the sun gives it a very bright glow, bright enough to see outlines of stuff in a small dark room, and definitely bright enough to read by. That glow doesn't last long (at least for me, I haven't tried leaving it in a sunny spot for a while yet), but it glows softly for a long while afterwards.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, the really intense glow fades pretty quickly, but the soft glow lasts for hours.
Very cool!
:bug-red-white
MCM

Post by MCM »

These things are amazing!

What a cool knife!

Really like the smooth slim scales.

Thanks again!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Donut

Post by Donut »

jackknifeh wrote: Seriously, I was wondering how bright the glow is. From the pictures and one video I watched of someone charging the scale with a BRIGHT flashlight the knife seemed to be bright enough to read a book by if you held it up to the page. Is it that bright?
Yes, it is that bright. I was thinking of charging it up, then taking the Edge-U-cation sheet to see if I could get an image of the text lit only by the scale. I think I can do it. I will have to give it a shot now.
jackknifeh wrote: How long does it glow after charging it?
I carried mine yesterday. When I go from outside in the sun to inside it glows pretty good, but only for a few minutes. After a few minutes it looks like a mint green and isn't noticeably bright. After an entire night, it is fairly visible in the dark.

It seems very useful.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I just got mine. I really like the smooth handles with all the jimping. It is a great knife and I'm glad I was able to get one. I haven't had a chance to play with the GITD, so I better bust out the flashlight.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

I got mine today - a full charge and you can definitely read text by the glow. :D
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

did you get an envelope or a box via usps? not to ***** but my box was pretty crushed :(

now obviously the moving around of said package caused it, not jon, but i would have liked a usps box instead.

we all know how frail a spydie box can be... ;)
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

priority mail flat rate envelope - certainly not good for protection :(
priority box would have ruled for sure
my box wasn't destroyed, but it isn't mint anymore
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Envelope, and the box was torn loose on the corners. Some padding would have helped but oh well. But I did get another off centered blade :) I had hoped they would have the centering figured out after this many production releases but not quite there yet....
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Flat Rate Envelope. Definitely beat up the envelope and the box was a bit squished but not destroyed. Oh well, still got an awesome knife.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

SmoothOne25 wrote:did you get an envelope or a box via usps? not to ***** but my box was pretty crushed :(
Yeah, mine was slightly crushed/ripped on the corners. A box would have been better, but probably more expensive for Jon.
SteelDragon wrote:But I did get another off centered blade :) I had hoped they would have the centering figured out after this many production releases but not quite there yet....
Hmmm, mine is perfectly centered. The Manix line seems to be inconsistent with blade centering. My 154CM Manix was very off center, but I sent it in to get fixed, and now it's almost perfectly centered. I bet W&R could remedy it, if you can bear to be without the knife for a couple weeks.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My box arrived in good condition (not that I really care much). And my blade is just a tiny bit off center. Not enough to worry about.

I'm still having fun playing with this thing!
:bug-red-white
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I can just barely squeeze a piece of paper between the blade and the liner. Would this need to go back to Jon and he would deal with CS or would I be able to? It also requires pushing the blade after releasing the lock until about 1/2” left then it will snap closed. My others you just release the lock and they swing shut.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I got my yesterday, the box came through okay but I had a Buff in the order also and that probably helped.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

SteelDragon wrote:I can just barely squeeze a piece of paper between the blade and the liner. Would this need to go back to Jon and he would deal with CS or would I be able to? It also requires pushing the blade after releasing the lock until about 1/2” left then it will snap closed. My others you just release the lock and they swing shut.
That doesn't sound normal. I'd suggest contacting Spyderco. Jon isn't responsible for the warranty and repairs, Spyderco is. Send it in to them.
Donut

Post by Donut »

jackknifeh wrote: Seriously, I was wondering how bright the glow is. From the pictures and one video I watched of someone charging the scale with a BRIGHT flashlight the knife seemed to be bright enough to read a book by if you held it up to the page. Is it that bright? This is the first glow-in-the-dark knife I've heard of even though there are probably more out there. How long does it glow after charging it?
This is the best I can represent, it might be slightly brighter than that in pure black.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=20
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

(the honeybee inside the edc manix pic should've been in the 2011 forum calendar, if time permitted obviously)

anyway:
i'm sure jon is super busy but i can't wait to hear if i can buy another! its too nice, too unique, too cool to carry/edc/destroy. i've got my "queen" now... but need my user!
so when my buddy sees it i can tell him then be like "come in the bathroom with me and turn off the lights!"

^ ;) -yes i know that sounded odd- ;) ^
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Lil update ; mine functions flawlessly. And was handy at the river over the weekend cutting things here and there fishing line lil packages sandwiches Ect. I expected nothing less. The handle scales I bel would be lacking in purchase if not for the great manix two jimping and handle design. Thx spydercrew!
vicven

Post by vicven »

Yep Yep..!

Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Nice! I think that's the first pic I've seen of the MoonGlow with it's brothers.