Is that Paramil s90v cf REALLY worth $300?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SnowCrash

Is that Paramil s90v cf REALLY worth $300?

Post by SnowCrash »

I mean can you actually justify that price? Sure it looks nice, but not THAT much nicer than the regular version, and sure the blade is....a higher number than the regular....but does it really improve on performance THAT much?

Honestly I can't see why people are buying it at such a high price when you can pretty much get 2 of the regulars for that much :rolleyes:

Please prove me wrong, because I am itching to spend $300 on a nice looking blade- I just can't find a reason to
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Yes:-)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

A knife is always worth what a buyer is willing to spend on it. The inflated prices reflect the desirability of a particular knife. In the first place, it's the combination of materials(CF scales, and more important to AFI's is the S90V steel). For steelheads and AFI's S90V is one of the more desirable steels in terms of wear resistance and edge holding. The demand is also fueled by speculation. An unknown percentage of buyers will keep the knife NIB, with the possibility of making a profit in the future. There is also the fact that the model is a sprint run. In all probability, Spyderco will not be a making more of these in the future. So you will be getting a knife that is for all intents and purposes, exclusive. I think the number is 1200.

If I had the bucks, I'd buy one in a blink.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Why do people buy a fillet mignon instead of a hamburger at a restaurant? They will both fill you up, right?
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

How much do you think it would go for in the future? I doubt it would go for much more than 300, as i've never seen a :spyder: go for more
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh...i'm patiently waiting for the ZDP version myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SnowCrash wrote:How much do you think it would go for in the future? I doubt it would go for much more than 300, as i've never seen a :spyder: go for more
There have been Civilians go for $600.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think a left hand civvie just went for $500.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i havent even seen this Paramilitary yet, is the MSRP 300 ? that seems real steep to me, but if the msrp is 300 it might be cut in half at a distributor.

me myself i wouldnt pay 300 for a paramilitary just because i couldnt see it selling for much more later.
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

My thoughts exactly, I doubt it would go much higher- if I wanted to blow $300, I'd get that CF plain edge civie I was eyeing- too bad that posting is over. (got a regular civie instead)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If I were to pay $300 bucks, it would be for a top tier steel blade, but that's just me.

It wouldn't be for the CF.
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

The CF S90V Manix 2, a 400 piece Sprint Run, is not much more than $200. Same for the CF S90V Military. Both arguably just as popular as the PM2. Prices will settle down IMHO to around $200.
Intentionally Left Blank
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I didn't buy my cf para 2 to resell. I bought it to have S90V and a comp lock knife if you're worried about the benefits of S90V this would mean you plan to use t which would mean resale value would drop a bit but in the right market you could easily get what you paid for it. If you don't plan on using it 300 is steep for a knife you're just going to look at. then again some people can justify spending t because they have it. Just gotta ask yourself. What's it worth to ya
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

S90V has been around for about 15 years now, but it's a real bear to HT and grind into knife blades. Takes high temps (Over 2100 degrees) to Heat Treat it and it really wears on equipment to work it. It's a High Vanadium Carbide steel with great wear resistance that was developed for the Plastics industry and it has great rust resistance.

All of that transferred into a knife blade and you have one of the best knife blade steels out there. It will hold an edge for a very long time and just keep cutting and it's not brittle or chippy if HT right.

However it's not easy to work with and it's expensive so many don't want to deal with it so finding a maker to work with it is hard.

So yes knives in S90V will command a premium, then add CF and the limited production Sprint runs and there you have it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^^ Which all boils down to it being a **** shame because a knife that good should be USED, but most of them will go to collectors.
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SnowCrash wrote:I mean can you actually justify that price? Sure it looks nice, but not THAT much nicer than the regular version, and sure the blade is....a higher number than the regular....but does it really improve on performance THAT much?

Honestly I can't see why people are buying it at such a high price when you can pretty much get 2 of the regulars for that much :rolleyes:

Please prove me wrong, because I am itching to spend $300 on a nice looking blade- I just can't find a reason to
Yes, and yes, if I didn't already have one. Remember that MSRP was ~$290. If I had missed the pre-order, I would pay $300 for one of these.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Yes, I missed the pre-order and I did pay $265 for one in the secondary market. I should be in my hands soon. It's more than what I wanted to pay but I could not miss out on owning what is possibly the ideal EDC knife.

I am going to use it. I have enough safe queens as it is. I was blown away by the S30v version so the S90v should be incredible.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dsmegst wrote:Yes, I did miss the pre-order and I did pay $265 for one in the secondary market. I should be in my hands soon. It's more than what I wanted to pay but I could not miss out on owning what is possibly the ideal EDC knife.

I am going to use it. I have enough safe queens as it is. I was blown away by the S30v version so the S90v should be incredible.
I will put it this way, if you had a kitchen knife in S90V and used it every day you could likely go for years and not need to sharpen it.

It's a very aggressive cutter even with a polished edge and it will just keep cutting and cutting.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ankerson wrote:I will put it this way, if you had a kitchen knife in S90V and used it every day you could likely go for years and not need to sharpen it.
Sal? SAL??? (hello.... Is this thing on?... <tap><tap><tap><tap> hello?)
;)

Ken
玉鋼
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I thought about turning the S90v mule into another paring knife but I'm really hesitant about trying to reshape that blade. I had some luck with the 9Cr18Mo mule so maybe the Aogami mule might be a good candidate.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral