Stretch 2 User Error. :[

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FissionMailed

Stretch 2 User Error. :[

Post by FissionMailed »

A couple of months I got sand in my Stretch 2 and could only get it out by taking it apart but in the process I really messed up the backspacer and it bends now whenever pressure is put on the lockbar. This causes a lot of vertical blade play and i managed to get some unsolvable horizontal play too... Can I buy a new backspacer for the Stretch 2, or can I get it repaired by spyderco; if so how much will it cost and what do i do? Thanks!
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Technically, disassembly by user voids warranty. I'd just call Spyderco and tell them the situation and they'll probably have you send it in and they will fix it. They may or may not charge you a small fee. That's my typical experience anyway, great people working at Warranty and Repair.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Since disassembly caused the problems, you'll probably have to pay a small fee to get it done.
THG

Post by THG »

You probably didn't get the backspacer's nipple in the hole where it's supposed to go in the liner. That's usually the cause of a "bending backspacer."

When reassembling, do the lockbar last.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Ops! I'm sorry that happened.
Note If you reassemble it yourself, next time you should:

Put the knife back together "un-sprung", that is the liners, scales, filler, spring, and lockbar. (leaving the blade, washers, and pin yet tobe done)

Clamp the lockbar down (spring clamp)with a soft surface, in the unlocked position.

(tricky part) Slip the P Pin in only part way, slip the two washers and blade in, work the P Pin in all the way home. Tighten up, remove the clamp.
Use a scribe, icepick, etc to help line up the two washers and blade.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I find the easiest way for me to do a backlock is to assemble everything loosely with the spring sticking out beside the rocker arm. I then push the spring down into place with a punch, pinch the scales together to hold it in place, and tighten.
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

I already messed up beyond repair of the backspacer. :mad:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FissionMailed wrote:I already messed up beyond repair of the backspacer. :mad:
I see, you probably stripped those nubs that fit into the liners. Maybe you can give the people at Spyderco a call and find out what's the best way to go about getting your knife fixed.