China Syndrome

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

I believe this is a touchy subject but let me tell you what I think:

Although I can't avoid to buy products that have been made in china or components in merchandise that is made in China I am still not happy about the fact that more and more companies From USA/EU produce their stuff in China!

If a company produces at some point a small percentage of their product line in China at the beginning and realize that their homemade products are not so much of a seller anymore, guess what? They will expand into this trend!

Also if company (A) sells a American made knife for $150 in small numbers and it does not make much profit trough high production cost and at the same time sells a $30 Chinese made one knife in big quantities with a bigger profit ratio than inevitably it will lead to more Chinese made knifes (or any product) and less home made!

So it is in both our hands how the trend develops in the future... if we buy the good old home made produced knifes and are willing to pay the price we will give the company the reason to produce the way they always did! If we buy more of Chinese made lines they will continue to expand in this market!

Nevertheless the market is tending to China in many branches and ways and I am not a fan of it for my own reasons!
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hoo boy! This thread is going bad places....
MCM

Post by MCM »

Not really, just airing things out.

And I agree 100% with Neomik
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've been looking at the Resilience for a hunting folder.Looks pretty promising.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

gunnut35 wrote:Today i finally had the chance to carry the Resilience and Persistence and i am really impressed, (i also had a kiwi on me). The fit and finish on these China made Spydercos are up there with all the Spydies, no mater where they are made. I always have liked the Tenacious but I have had 3 of them because it is always the one everyone wants so i have given them away as gifts. I know this has been covered alot about "China Made" but these knives are the best bargain of any knife on the market.
Let me know what you all think of these "Bargain" knives......
Top to Bottom
Resilience, Persistence, and Kiwi
I NEED TO GET THESE! I still haven't tried a Chinese :spyder: knife yet! Great simple pics, they look awesomely functional. I like the size comparison too. That Persistence really looks like a Paramilitary with a liner lock.

And good thoughts on giving them as gifts. I wish I had more friends that could appreciate a decent knife enough to deserve the $100+ models, but that's just rare. These are a great alternative to even a Delica to introduce someone to the usefulness of a quality knife. My only fear is someone who doesn't know trying to tell me it's a knockoff Spyderco since they're so affordable and clearly say made in China.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
LDB

Post by LDB »

Very simple. You know the false unemployment figure of 9.4% the liars recently told us? It's from people buying foreign products so the jobs here disappear. That's why unemployment is currently at 17-18% in truthful numbers. Yes, I buy imported stuff because in many cases there is no alternative. I'd still rather have American made and American employment.
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Neomik wrote:I believe this is a touchy subject but let me tell you what I think:

Although I can't avoid to buy products that have been made in china or components in merchandise that is made in China I am still not happy about the fact that more and more companies From USA/EU produce their stuff in China!

If a company produces at some point a small percentage of their product line in China at the beginning and realize that their homemade products are not so much of a seller anymore, guess what? They will expand into this trend!

Also if company (A) sells a American made knife for $150 in small numbers and it does not make much profit trough high production cost and at the same time sells a $30 Chinese made one knife in big quantities with a bigger profit ratio than inevitably it will lead to more Chinese made knifes (or any product) and less home made!

So it is in both our hands how the trend develops in the future... if we buy the good old home made produced knifes and are willing to pay the price we will give the company the reason to produce the way they always did! If we buy more of Chinese made lines they will continue to expand in this market!

Nevertheless the market is tending to China in many branches and ways and I am not a fan of it for my own reasons!
The Chinese knives are going to sell in big numbers to non knife collectors. It's a necessary evil to expand the Spyderco name in places like Wal Mart. Hopefully that profit will only benefit Spyderco and ultimately us. We knife nuts will still keep buying the Golden models in large quantities for certain.
LDB wrote:Very simple. You know the false unemployment figure of 9.4% the liars recently told us? It's from people buying foreign products so the jobs here disappear. That's why unemployment is currently at 17-18% in truthful numbers. Yes, I buy imported stuff because in many cases there is no alternative. I'd still rather have American made and American employment.
Yeah this thread might be going to a bad place...
:rolleyes:
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

[quote="JediKnight86"]The Chinese knives are going to sell in big numbers to non knife collectors. It's a necessary evil to expand the Spyderco name in places like Wal Mart. Hopefully that profit will only benefit Spyderco and ultimately us. We knife nuts will still keep buying the Golden models in large quantities for certain.

I agree with your thought on the subject about the reach to the mainstream user. I mean it is better if they use a decent quality Chinese made Spyderco rather than some no name cheapo knife that will break on them!
Or course that could lead also to more Spyderco fans :) and that to more users of the Golden production knifes.
Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

JediKnight86 wrote:The Chinese knives are going to sell in big numbers to non knife collectors. It's a necessary evil to expand the Spyderco name in places like Wal Mart. Hopefully that profit will only benefit Spyderco and ultimately us. We knife nuts will still keep buying the Golden models in large quantities for certain.
Yeah this thread might be going to a bad place...
:rolleyes:
I agree with your thought on the subject about the reach to the mainstream user. I mean it is better if they use a decent quality Chinese made Spyderco rather than some no name cheapo knife that will break on them!
Or course that could lead also to more Spyderco fans :) and that to more users of the Golden production knifes.
Michael
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can understand folks worrying about shipping jobs overseas. However, the reality where Spyderco is concerned is that foreign production was what allowed them to build the Golden plant in the first place, and is what has allowed them to continue to increase production there ever since.

And, to answer a question asked earlier, I'm old enough not only to remember the movie, but the incident that occurred a few days after its release and the conspiracy theory paranoia, that followed. ;)

For the benefit of the uniformed, neither the movie, nor the incident I'm referring to had anything to do with China. The title is just a reference to the (mistaken) belief that if you dig a hole deep enough, you'll dig right through to China.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

The Deacon wrote:However, the reality where Spyderco is concerned is that foreign production was what allowed them to build the Golden plant in the first place, and is what has allowed them to continue to increase production there ever since.
And that is why I buy Spydercos!!!! I've only been around here a couple of years and the variety of knives at varying prices produced in Golden appears to grow rather than shrink!!! Thanks Sal and crew!!!!!!!!