P'Kal questions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grego77

P'Kal questions?

Post by Grego77 »

I am very tempted to pick up a P'Kal, and am becoming very interested in the style that goes along with it (Shivworks). One point of interest is the Ball Bearing lock...it seems to work like a BM Axis lock, are the two similar in strength? I have larger than average hands, has anyone with large hands handled one and how did it feel in the reverse grip?

Any experiences you guys can share regarding the P'Kal is appreciated.

I'm sure overall it is a very solid :spyder:
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

My buddy with giant hands, often doesn't go with knives I recommend to him, because he finds the handles too small. He likes and owns a P'Kal though, so that's one datapoint.

In theory, I'd expect the axis and ball bearing and lock to be able to achieve the same levels of strength and (maybe more importantly) reliability. It's a matter of how robustly they're engineered -- I think the ball bearing lock in the P'kal is confidence-inspiring.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I don't have huge hands- normal mansize for a 6' 200lb guy. I don't have any problems with the P'kal in reverse/edge-in grip.

Since the knife isn't likely to be used for protracted periods, comfort isn't an issue.

Likewise, if your pinky will key-into the dip on the spine side I don't think retention would be a problem either.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

My hands are large.........big mits! I have the p'kal clipped to my pocket as I type this. They(spyderco) really engineered this thing to work for us big mit guys. This is a purpose driven tool, that comes with a trainer too! Great tool for it's intended purpose. I wish spyderco would consider a fixed blade sometime in the future.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

I have large hands being 6'7" but I don't have huge mitts. Its one of my EDC knives and I love it. Its great I use it mainly for utility purposes but its also there for safety. I'm currently looking for a trainer in it.
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt