Compression Locks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
alerin

Compression Locks?

Post by alerin »

Are compression lock spydies the smoothest opening? I have been collecting for about a year now, and found nothing smoother than my Yo, Para and superhawk. First post, so I would also like to say hello to everyone, I love this forum, wife not so much.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

alerin wrote:Are compression lock spydies the smoothest opening? I have been collecting for about a year now, and found nothing smoother than my Yo, Para and superhawk. First post, so I would also like to say hello to everyone, I love this forum, wife not so much.
Buy her a Spyderco of her very own...and that will change...Welcome to the forum.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
alerin

Post by alerin »

Thanx, I did, tasman, but its the time she feels I'm waisting
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

alerin wrote:Thanx, I did, tasman, but its the time she feels I'm waisting
If it makes you feel better I get yelled at everyday.....Good thing I'm getting old and don't hear too well anymore....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Morris

Post by Morris »

the first thing to go are the higher frequencies - right about where she talks.

EVOLUTION baby!! :)
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

alerin wrote:Are compression lock spydies the smoothest opening?
In my personal experience, "no".

However, at least one of the smoothest Spydercos I have also has a compression lock, so also "yes". That would be the Para 2, but it utilizes the newer pivot bushing system, and I think the smoothness can be attributed primarily to that.

Manix 2's with this same pivot and just about any BBL or CBL model is going to be really smooth, almost fluid-like, as is the Bradley, Sages, and others.

But are all compression lock models smoothest? No.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I don't think that locks that have parts that bear laterally on the blade tang, such as the compression lock or liner lock, are ever likely to be "smoothest" as a class.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

In my experience the smoothest ones are the compression locks, BBL-locks, linerlocks and framelocks. I've yeat to have one with this kinda lock that wasn't smooth. And I can't really rate them any more accurately, it really depends on the model and specimen. Lockbacks are a different story...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Of all the Spydies I've owned the Paras/compression locks are the smoothest. I had a T-Mag that was like "air ride" but they don't count.

My Para 2 was smooth but not like my CPMD2. Is the new bushing system supposed to be smoother or just different? I don't think it's a break-in thing as the CPMD2 was crazy smooth out of the box.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

JNewell wrote:I don't think that locks that have parts that bear laterally on the blade tang, such as the compression lock or liner lock, are ever likely to be "smoothest" as a class.
Exactly. There isn't anything specific to the compression lock, or even a liner lock or a frame lock that can lend specific "smoothness" to the pivot action.

Now, can knives with those locks be smooth? Sure, absolutely. But that goes for almost any knife with a given locking mechanism.

Some of the original compression lock models that used those thin film style washers...about the furthest thing from "smooth" imaginable, granted that's going back a number of years. Those were more often than not gritty as heck.

If you've got a Spydie that's especially smooth, it certainly has more to do with other or at least additional factors beyond "it's got a compression lock".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

IMO the smoothest opening has been the Sage and Manix 2, with the ball bearing lock being exceptionally smooth. The compression lock was down right gritty and crappy until i oiled it with some wax based lube.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

alerin wrote:... I love this forum, wife not so much.
Glad you love the forum, sorry to hear that you do not love your wife...um...that is what you meant, isn't it? :D

My Bradley, 3 Manix', and CF Caly 3 are all equally smooth, however, they all require different levels of effort (force) to open. Sometimes it depends on what your definition of is is, as one president put it. In this case, ya have to define what smooth is going to mean contextually. But that's not usually what happens around here. :(
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Out of all the knives I've owned the compression locks have consistently been the smoothest by far with the ATR (white washers) taking the cake. So far the only liner lock knife that has really impressed me with it's smoothness is the Gayle Bradley.
Firebat wrote: Some of the original compression lock models that used those thin film style washers...about the furthest thing from "smooth" imaginable, granted that's going back a number of years. Those were more often than not gritty as heck.
I have to agree with you about those old thin washers, they sure can get nasty at times, FWIW they weren't exclusive to Comp lock models.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
feed_the_animals

Post by feed_the_animals »

Javascript wrote: define what smooth is going to mean contextually. But that's not usually what happens around here. :(
+1. Too true. I'm thinking of all the conversations that turned into "what is the single BEST knife in the world!" that should have been "what particular qualities make a specific knife functional in a given role?"

That being said, to give credit where credit is due, this forums is WAY better than almost any other. But because I love it, I have to criticize. ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jezabel wrote:Out of all the knives I've owned the compression locks have consistently been the smoothest by far with the ATR (white washers) taking the cake. So far the only liner lock knife that has really impressed me with it's smoothness is the Gayle Bradley.

I have to agree with you about those old thin washers, they sure can get nasty at times, FWIW they weren't exclusive to Comp lock models.

Jez
Suggestion for those washers: if you are comfortable doing so and aren't worried about warranty issues, disassemble, clean carefully and reassemble with CRK Flourinated Grease. This has given very smooth operation on the knives I've re-lubed.