How much heat does it take to ruin temper?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p3pe

How much heat does it take to ruin temper?

Post by p3pe »

How much heat does it take to ruin or effect the temper of VG10 and s90v?Please in celsius if you can.
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Correction: heat :)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

The problem is related to Militec-1 and a 1600w hair dryer.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

from what i can see depending on specific alloy`s anywhere from 450 deg F to 1500.
if you got it hot enough to change color youve probubly tempered it.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

No noticeable colour change. It just got to hot to handle for more than a fraction of a second. but I did not get burned, so I hope I didnt interfere with the temper.

Militec-1 is probably best left unheated with folders..
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I've heard that generally, any heat above what a person could tolerate on their skin momentarily without injury or serious pain has the potential to mess up the heat treat. Even the highest temperature that tap water can get to has the potential to mess up your edge (that's one reason they say not to put knives in the dishwasher). Remember, it doesn't have to remove the heat treat on the whole blade--just the edge, which is the thinnest part, and therefore the most susceptible to temperature change.

Edit:Maybe Bada's right--he certainly sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and I don't really--I'm just repeating what I've heard. I have heard several times though that a dishwasher can mess up the heat treat in the edge of a knife, but maybe that's after repeated uses?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mentaculous wrote:I've heard that generally, any heat above what a person could tolerate on their skin momentarily without injury or serious pain has the potential to mess up the heat treat. Even the highest temperature that tap water can get to has the potential to mess up your edge (that's one reason they say not to put knives in the dishwasher). Remember, it doesn't have to remove the heat treat on the whole blade--just the edge, which is the thinnest part, and therefore the most susceptible to temperature change.

Edit:Maybe Bada's right--he certainly sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and I don't really--I'm just repeating what I've heard. I have heard several times though that a dishwasher can mess up the heat treat in the edge of a knife, but maybe that's after repeated uses?
Nope, dishwashers will damage knives, but not by ruining the heat treat. First is that the spraying jets of water move items around, and the knife's edge will inevitably bang against other metal objects. Second is that the combination of very hot water and a detergent far harsher (more caustic) than normal dish detergent can etch (pit) the steel and eat away at the edge. It can cause other damage to knives as well, for example loosening handle slabs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Though I'm not sure of exact numbers (trying to recall them from when I took heattreating in college) I'm pretty sure a dishwasher and hairdryer will come nothing close to causing a loss in temper however. Grinding on the blade for a extended period of time will cause a loss in temper, but I don't think indirect heat will.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

The Deacon wrote:Nope, dishwashers will damage knives, but not by ruining the heat treat. First is that the spraying jets of water move items around, and the knife's edge will inevitably bang against other metal objects. Second is that the combination of very hot water and a detergent far harsher (more caustic) than normal dish detergent can etch (pit) the steel and eat away at the edge. It can cause other damage to knives as well, for example loosening handle slabs.
Interesting--makes complete sense. I stand corrected.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So exactly what happens when the heat treat is damaged? Does it not take an edge as good or..?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:So exactly what happens when the heat treat is damaged? Does it not take an edge as good or..?
Might actually take an edge better, but the edge will roll very easily, and dull very easily.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Evil D wrote:So exactly what happens when the heat treat is damaged? Does it not take an edge as good or..?
Damage to a heat treat will be to normalise the steel. That is to take it back to before hardening & then tempering.
Hardening, hardens to as hard & brittle as the steel can be.
Tempering, tempers some of this hardness off to a usable hardness which is usually a compromise between edge holding & edge chipping if too hard. This is a place above normal for the given steel.
Annealing is to soften below normal.
If any of these states were achievable with a 1600 watt hair dryer then I would no longer need a forge or propane torch or kiln.
It is a Spydie p3pe you will have to do better than that to ruin it.
Think of it this way. If that hairdryer could ruin your knife, it would have burnt all your hair off long ago. :eek: :D
O.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

The Deacon wrote:Might actually take an edge better, but the edge will roll very easily, and dull very easily.
AKA the steel goes soft.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

O,just,O Stated it good.

The lowest temperature that will mess with your hardening is the temperature at witch your blade is annealed.

For a simple carbon steel like O-1 that is about 200 degrees Celsius.
For other types of steel like HSS are annealed above 500 degrees Celsius.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So then...can it be reversed? Sorry i don't know a lot about this part of steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FLYBYU44 wrote:Though I'm not sure of exact numbers (trying to recall them from when I took heattreating in college) I'm pretty sure a dishwasher and hairdryer will come nothing close to causing a loss in temper however. Grinding on the blade for a extended period of time will cause a loss in temper, but I don't think indirect heat will.
That can happen, but it's because the local temperature at the edge can get very, very high. That kind of temperature would melt every part of a hairdryer and all or most of a dishwasher. :eek: :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

p3pe wrote:The problem is related to Militec-1 and a 1600w hair dryer.
You cannot possibly have drawn the temper on that blade with a hairdryer. :cool:

At least, you can't have done so without doing something like shorting the mains with the blade. :eek:
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Evil D wrote:So then...can it be reversed? Sorry i don't know a lot about this part of steel.
YES, but.
The blade will have to be rehardened & then retempered, then ground & polished.
If it comes to this it would be cheaper & better to buy a new one.
O.
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

I feel a little relieved. But on some part of one side of the blade, I can se some slight change in colour, and this makes me annoyed. It looks like it could just be polished off, so it might not have anything to do with the tamper, just the finish on the blade.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Discolouration is a stain, no more, no less.
Temper is not affected by boiling water, autoclave, etc.

You can ruin a blade by friction heat - sharpening on a grinder and not cooling blade. So, don't sharpen on a grinder.

Anything else, stirring spaghetti with your knife, pulling out a tea bag with your knife, putting your knife in a dishwasher AWAY from anything it can bang into, is OK.

Use it and don't worry about it.