Manix 2: I finally busted out and got mine. Questions ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peacefuljeffrey

Manix 2: I finally busted out and got mine. Questions ...

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Well, my Manix 2 arrived from New Graham, Band-Aids and all :p on 31 December, 2010, making me very happy that I didn't have to endure a long weekend of waiting.

So ... I do love the knife. I feel quite happy with it. It's very likely now my favorite owned Spyderco.

I wasn't satisfied with the factory condition of the edge, so I immediately took care of reprofiling it a bit, after using my Dremel tool to grind a small semicircular choil at the heel of the edge. (This is standard for me; I do it with just about every Spyderco I get, to make sharpening easier.) It's now happily sharp after a date with my Spyderco ceramic whet stone. :)

I'm happy to say that there is no problem with blade centering (I had been mildly apprehensive after having read of some issues with that).

There is, however, a small issue with side-to-side blade play while the blade is closed. It sits nicely centered on its own, but can be pushed with mild pressure until it touches either liner. This is a very minor thing, since the blade is satisfactorily stable when opened -- by far the more important issue. I'm just curious about whether this is known issue with the Manix 2. If so, what causes it, and why does it appear to go away when the blade's open?

I can't clearly see the ball bearing that's inside the lock, but it seems to be smaller than the one inside my Dodo and Poliwog (which are non-captive). Just how small is this knife's ball bearing? (Again, thank you to Spyderco for giving us this wonderful lock!)

Has anyone ever managed to break the plastic part that holds the ball bearing captive? Is that thing one piece or two?

Finally, out of curiosity, is the flat-ground blade from the translucent blue FRNR version of this knife interchangeable with the standard version's hollow-ground blade?
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i think theres some flex in the handle when you push it to one side. id expect that the one piece cage is pretty strong for what it has to do as it only serves to move the ball theres not much stress on it. i doubt if a blade from another manix would be a drop in fit. then again you could give it a try and be the first one.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I love the knife - it is my favorite. Don't worry about the blade in position other than the locked position. It really doesn't matter. Even if it were slightly off center, although none of mine are off center. I can't recall, but maybe you could "push" the blade when it's closed (i.e. not locked), but not too much. I don't think it really matters until the blade is in the lock position, then you don't want any movement. But think about how the blade has to pivot and hopefully without a lot of friction. To do that, I'd be willing to allow a little movement in the non-locked position. I only use the blade when it's locked into position.
peacefuljeffrey

That's all true, and the wiggle when closed doesn't cause me worry; I just want to get an idea about whether this is common to other peoples' specimens.

Also, I'm looking for insight into what might enable the blade to wiggle when closed, but not when locked open.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The CBL knives use a smaller ball than the non-caged versions. The polymer cage is fragile...fragile like a Glock frame. ;) I don't think I have ever read a single report of one breaking.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

The one exclusion being some guy posted on this forum about apply an insane amount of side to side force and breaking the knife. But I think we all came to the conclusion that any knife would have broke under those forces and the knife is not designed to be cutting "sideways" (i.e. 180 degreess to the plane of the blade.) I can break a titanium crow bar with the right equipment. I will never test my knives to those extremes and in general I feel every single Spyderco knife is strong enough (and a lot more) for it's intended purpose. But if I'm going to be doing heavy cutting, say tearing up an old carpet, I'm more apt to want to use a Manix with it's beefy leaf blade than a skinnier blade, say a Leatherman or a Swiss Army knife. I used those two examples so I don't start an argument about the merits of another Spyderco blade. I personally think that most if not all Spyderco knives are over spec'ed for their intended purpose and that's a trait we all love about Spyderco and their knives.

The Manix 2 is a great knife - it's my personal favorite. The "play" (to be defined later) in the knife is nothing more than the knife not being locked up. The blade becomes stiff against the handle when it is in the locked position. The term "play" is loosely (no pun intended) used to describe the slightest of movement that is allowed when one pushes on the blade. The blade doesn't "jiggle" in the handle, it can show a slight movement if pressed hard. Remember that if the knife is closed, it's only point of contact with the handle is the pivots. When the knife is locked open, it now has three contact points, with one being design to absolutely lock in, steel on steel, as oposed to steel, to a bearing (or a pivot of some sort) to the handle (plastic or CF). This is absolutely within what most of us would require. The blade must be solide to the handle when it's locked open for use. I'm not concerned about any movement I can force upon the blade when it's in it's handle.
RDA

Post by RDA »

peacefuljeffrey wrote: There is, however, a small issue with side-to-side blade play while the blade is closed. It sits nicely centered on its own, but can be pushed with mild pressure until it touches either liner. This is a very minor thing, since the blade is satisfactorily stable when opened -- by far the more important issue. I'm just curious about whether this is known issue with the Manix 2. If so, what causes it, and why does it appear to go away when the blade's open?
The pivot has a bushing/sleeve that allows for the smallest amount of side movement when not locked. A pivot of this nature allows a tight pivot which is really smooth (but not adjustable via the screw but could be adjusted with shims). If it locks up strong, that is all the really matters.

Regards,

Rich
kawr

Post by kawr »

Every folder has side to side play closed. Whether its a custom made folder, strider, or sebenza they all have movement side to side closed if you look for it. In fact I think its impossible to eliminate completely so its best if you dont get hung over it. Play while locked open is a differant story.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Congrats on the new M2. **** of a knife.
~ Nate
peacefuljeffrey

Thanks for all the comments.
I really am enjoying this knife. :)
THG

Post by THG »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I wasn't satisfied with the factory condition of the edge, so I immediately took care of reprofiling it a bit, after using my Dremel tool to grind a small semicircular choil at the heel of the edge. (This is standard for me; I do it with just about every Spyderco I get, to make sharpening easier.) It's now happily sharp after a date with my Spyderco ceramic whet stone. :)
I need to do that to my knives... I have problems with the edge at the ricasso.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I have quite a few Manix 2 knives, and almost all of them have play or "wiggle" when closed. Don't worry about it as long as its a lot firmer when locked open.
peacefuljeffrey

monsterdog wrote:I have quite a few Manix 2 knives, and almost all of them have play or "wiggle" when closed. Don't worry about it as long as its a lot firmer when locked open.
That it is. Thank you for your input -- especially as an owner of multiple specimens. :)