Amazon Pricing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AJF

Amazon Pricing

Post by AJF »

One of these days, I will understand Amazon pricing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and have had good luck with Amazon over the years, but it is almost a spectator sport to watch how their pricing on some items jumps around. Case in point: I've kept my eye on the Dragonfly G10 for a while, and it stayed right at $68-69 for the last 2 or 3 months. I looked at it today, and it's $96.99 :eek: http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Dragonfl ... 477&sr=1-2

Go figure.....(and Happy New Year! Image)

Andrew
Max1975

Post by Max1975 »

Same thing happened to me when started to shop around for a milli
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just picked up my first 2 Spyderco's from Amazon last week.
Seems the price's changes by the hour.

It is nice folks here keep us posted on these deals though.
But does seem like hit and miss with Amazon.
Watched the Rock Lobster climb $77.00 in less than a minute.
$129 to $207.
Watched the Chokwe go from $88 shipped to $86 to $116 in a single day.

Will look for deals, but will stick with my two primary dealers. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I wonder if there is some sort of algorithm set up that raises the price for you (based on your IP address or login) if you don't buy it the first time you go to that page. I think the airlines do the same thing. They track how many times you've been back to visit that product and raise the price, figuring your more interested each time you visit. Just a theory.

I bought a Stretch ZDP-189 / Blue FRN for a decent price ($89.49). I went back out of curiosity, and the price had skyrocketed (I forget how much). But, as I look right now, the price is $125.

I also bought a Stretch ZDP-189 / CF for $149.99. Now it's $209.
kawr

Post by kawr »

racer88 wrote:I wonder if there is some sort of algorithm set up that raises the price for you (based on your IP address or login) if you don't buy it the first time you go to that page. I think the airlines do the same thing. They track how many times you've been back to visit that product and raise the price, figuring your more interested each time you visit. Just a theory.

I bought a Stretch ZDP-189 / Blue FRN for a decent price ($89.49). I went back out of curiosity, and the price had skyrocketed (I forget how much). But, as I look right now, the price is $125.

I also bought a Stretch ZDP-189 / CF for $149.99. Now it's $209.
Well those two particular Stretch models are bad examples because both were recently discontinued for 2011 so prices are going to be inflated. Good thing I picked up a backup Blue Stretch right after they got discontinued and dealers had some amazing prices on them to clear out their stock.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

kawr wrote:Well those two particular Stretch models are bad examples because both were recently discontinued for 2011 so prices are going to be inflated. Good thing I picked up a backup Blue Stretch right after they got discontinued and dealers had some amazing prices on them to clear out their stock.
But, this was very recently, and they went up dramatically right after I bought them. Like I said... I wonder if Amazon does what the airlines reportedly do - raise the price the 2nd time you visit the page.
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

There are add-ons for the major web browsers that track an item's price over time and even email you when the price crosses a user configurable threshold. I use "The Trackor" for Safari and the Camelizer for Firefox.

As for what causes that variable prices on Amazon, I have no idea...

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

Prices vary for several reasons. One of them depends on who is filling the order. It might be Amazon, it might be a contract vendor. The price is set by whoever fills the order or has product available. I purchased a knife cheap from some place in CO. They had 2 left. A day later the price was more but the vendor had changed. Look to see who is filling the order; when the price changes, see if it isn't a vendor change, too.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I've been eyeing the Chokwe. $117. Then I see people posting that they got it from Amazon for $87ish. I wish they would lower it back to that $87 price and I would pick up one.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

delicafreak

Post by delicafreak »

i think it has to do with the amount of the item in stock
it all started november 2010.. now Im up to 16:spyder:'s and 2 BYRD's and still, theres many more to come. thanks sal :p:D HUGE thanks to my dad for my newly accuired Orange manix 2!:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think Javascript hit it, or at least a major part of it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Yeah, I usually use my basket to store books n stuff that I am interested in but not actually going to buy right now. Each time I look at it there is a raft of price changes listed at the top - usually minor but sometimes quite major. I am guessing Amazon's tight/frequent control of selling prices is one reason they do so well - any slight shift in the cost of an item (supply-chain, internal or shipping) and they change the prices to reflect that.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
tsuki2000

Post by tsuki2000 »

It's actually rather simple in most cases. Amazon tends to match the cheapest Amazon Marketplace (third-party sellers) price. Notice that, at the time of writing this post, the cheapest one available in the Amazon Marketplace is also $96.99.

More examples (at time of posting):

---
Steet Beat

Amazon price: $134.99
Cheapest Marketplace price: $134.99
---
Bill Moran Drop Point

Amazon price: $71.24
Cheapest Marketplace price: $71.24
---
Chokwe

Amazon price: $116.49
Cheapest Marketplace price: $116.49
---

You get the idea. Occasionally, Amazon will beat that price, and other times there isn't one available in the marketplace to match. For the rest, however, Amazon just sells it for whatever Marketplace sellers are selling it for.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Happy new year - you might find these summaries

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2010/12/17/06

http://articles.cnn.com/2005-06-24/just ... ?_s=PM:LAW

of "dynamic pricing" interesting. I don't know whether Amazon is using this pricing model or not, but others definitely are. (Amazon got into some trouble several years ago for adjusting prices, allegedly based on the customer's perceived ability to pay.)
NexusS

Post by NexusS »

Anyone able to get a decent deal for the Spyderco Military or Paramilitary 2 knifes on amazon? The prices I see are $140, and $180. That seems kinda high to me, should I wait for a better deal? or could anyone recommend me a good website with decent prices? I tried posting a similar question earlier, but the mod on here wont let me post messages, or deletes them. Im done with this forum, Ill find a forum where I can actually post messages.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

you have to look around. amazon isnt the low price king in knives. least not very often. some of the regular knife stores online post much better prices.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
AJF

Post by AJF »

Javascript and Deacon, in this case the D'Fly G10 is being sold by Amazon itself, and, IIRC, that was also the case before the big price increase.

tsuki2000, I see your point on Amazon simply matching the best Marketplace price. I hadn't noticed such a strong correlation in the past---in fact, it had been my impression that Amazon usually beat the best MP price, sometimes considerably---but I'll keep my eye on that.

JNewell, thanks for the links on "dynamic pricing". That is pretty fascinating and pretty scary. It seems to me that that makes for one more argument in favor of allowing "deal spotting" on this forum---at least that way we can be sure we're all getting offered the same price on something!

Andrew
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Just a sort of counter-thought :) on deal-spotting...most of the time, when I see a post alerting to in-stock status or a great price, the item has sold out or the price has gone back up...so my feeling is that the s:n ration is pretty high... :)
AJF wrote:Javascript and Deacon, in this case the D'Fly G10 is being sold by Amazon itself, and, IIRC, that was also the case before the big price increase.

tsuki2000, I see your point on Amazon simply matching the best Marketplace price. I hadn't noticed such a strong correlation in the past---in fact, it had been my impression that Amazon usually beat the best MP price, sometimes considerably---but I'll keep my eye on that.

JNewell, thanks for the links on "dynamic pricing". That is pretty fascinating and pretty scary. It seems to me that that makes for one more argument in favor of allowing "deal spotting" on this forum---at least that way we can be sure we're all getting offered the same price on something!

Andrew
AJF

Post by AJF »

JNewell wrote:Just a sort of counter-thought :) on deal-spotting...most of the time, when I see a post alerting to in-stock status or a great price, the item has sold out or the price has gone back up...so my feeling is that the s:n ration is pretty high... :)
Yes, that is often true. But, for items that are still in stock and available, I'd like to know if I'm being offered the same price as others. Plus, even if sold out or deal gone, just knowing what it was priced at gives me a reference point for what is possible for that item.

Andrew
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I think Amazon may have based their pricing off of sales figures. The particular Chokwe I got (and at least one other person on the forum) was a CC# knife from the first run or two. It Amazon had stock laying around from then, it must have meant that this particular knife wasn't selling that well, so prices were adjusted down to move out stock. I'm sure that once people started buying at these low prices, the computers moved the price back up since it showed brisk sales (they had to have been losing money at the price I paid). While I don't know about the manufacture date on the Rock Lobster, it wouldn't surprise me if they were older stock that had just been sitting around and needed a kick in the price-pants to get moved out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com