Ed Schempp Balance, a self defense knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do small folders like the Balance have a place in self defense?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 50

duvaldrummer

Ed Schempp Balance, a self defense knife?

Post by duvaldrummer »

As I was scouring youtube for spyderco related videos I came across a very unexpected video. Its of a martial arts instructor that demonstrates how he feels, that if need be the balance would make a formidable defensive knife. Check it out HERE and take the poll stating if you agree or not with the concept.
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

LOL...That guy in the vid is our very own KaliGman....no need for a poll...the man knows what he is talking about.....Whatever he says you can take to the bank...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Chaching!LOL! Hey as far as the Balance........shhhhhhhhh! Our little secret. The Old O.S.S.agents utilized small concealed blades to extricate themselves from messy situations. If your training and intentions support it........the balance will lean in your favor. Take care and God Bless! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What Doc said. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

That is a great video..
unit

Post by unit »

Some guys have done a lot with far less...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Taking into count most knife attacks etc outside of prison are committed with kitchen knives I would say it's likely.

But then an ice pick is also an excellent weapon.

Personally I would want something a lot bigger.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Balance is less than ideal for defense, IMO. But it could definitely have a place in SD as the video demonstrates.
:bug-red-white
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

gbelleh wrote:The Balance is less than ideal for defense, IMO. But it could definitely have a place in SD as the video demonstrates.
In that video yeah maybe.

But then if attacked by someone who really knows what they are doing it won't matter much what you are carrying because you will never see it coming until it's way too late.

They ain't gonna be 20 feet away telling you to get ready here they come......
sal

Post by sal »

You need to keep in mind that KaliGman is VERY experienced at his art.

sal
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Sure you can use a Balance if you train with it, and become proficient with such a small knife, but, a larger knife is always going to be superior IMO.

One can also become lethal with a Crayola crayon.
unit

Post by unit »

HotSoup wrote:Sure you can use a Balance if you train with it, and become proficient with such a small knife, but, a larger knife is always going to be superior IMO.

One can also become lethal with a Crayola crayon.
I think that guy would do alright with a generic crayon.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:You need to keep in mind that KaliGman is VERY experienced at his art.

sal
There isn't anyone THAT good, they can't see 360 degrees around them 100% of the time or walks with their back against a wall all the time. Also 100% awareness 100% of the time.

But then I am talking about someone who really knows what they are doing when they attack someone....

They won't know when it's coming, were it's coming from or what the weapon will be.
ffbeerd

Post by ffbeerd »

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Even without a weapon, KaliGman is lethal. Just as a few of the other guys here like Doc and Michael Janich and a few more.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ankerson wrote:There isn't anyone THAT good, they can't see 360 degrees around them 100% of the time or walks with their back against a wall all the time. Also 100% awareness 100% of the time.

But then I am talking about someone who really knows what they are doing when they attack someone....

They won't know when it's coming, were it's coming from or what the weapon will be.
Yes no one is 100% all the time and anyone can be caught off guard at any time..No matter how strong you are, there will be someone stronger. No matter how big you are, you will find someone bigger...So yes we can't see 360 degrees around and someone somewhere can sucker punch us stab us, slice us and get the best of us. The difference here worth mentioning is ...in the highly trained skilled practitioner like KaliGman...it's what he does after being surprised...The novice might curl up like a ball and take whatever is coming his way..or might even beg for mercy....This is not what a person of skill will do... A person of skill will realize that he is behind the curve and is now going to play catch up....he will attack fast and hard....he will attack the eyes, the neck, the throat. Accessing your own tools or weapons may or may not be possible. It is important to understand that reality and people like him know when they can and when they can't. Sometimes you have nothing but your empty hands and the ability to drive forward and be as violent as you possibly can. I know for myself found in that position where I was attacked by someone wielding a weapon in a surprise attack looking to kill me or do me great harm, if I could access a bladed weapon I will go in hard at the neck and rip it out along a different path. Think tearing and ripping not stabbing. I will respond this way even if injured, cut, bleeding,or my eye ball is hanging out of the socket. The point is I'm winning I don't care if I play fair either... my opponent isn't....If I must use my hands, feet and fingers to create the same effect than so be it...My last point is that a skilled practitioner will practice for such a thing and practice hard. With it we tend to be able to react and attack without thinking. It becomes ingrained. So I may be playing catch up but I'm not stopping till I win.
It not a pretty picture I'm painting but reality never is with this sort of thing. Might sound brutal...but that's because it is....it's not a game....your actions or non actions could be the difference between life and death....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

People like that KaliGman (and Doc) are truly scary with their skill... which is why I train in the Filipino arts ;)

Thanks for the video and thanks for sharing your thoughts Doc!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Yes no one is 100% all the time and anyone can be caught off guard at any time..No matter how strong you are, there will be someone stronger. No matter how big you are, you will find someone bigger...So yes we can't see 360 degrees around and someone somewhere can sucker punch us stab us, slice us and get the best of us. The difference here worth mentioning is ...in the highly trained skilled practitioner like KaliGman...it's what he does after being surprised...The novice might curl up like a ball and take whatever is coming his way..or might even beg for mercy....This is not what a person of skill will do... A person of skill will realize that he is behind the curve and is now going to play catch up....he will attack fast and hard....he will attack the eyes, the neck, the throat. Accessing your own tools or weapons may or may not be possible. It is important to understand that reality and people like him know when they can and when they can't. Sometimes you have nothing but your empty hands and the ability to drive forward and be as violent as you possibly can. I know for myself found in that position where I was attacked by someone wielding a weapon in a surprise attack looking to kill me or do me great harm, if I could access a bladed weapon I will go in hard at the neck and rip it out along a different path. Think tearing and ripping not stabbing. I will respond this way even if injured, cut, bleeding,or my eye ball is hanging out of the socket. The point is I'm winning I don't care if I play fair either... my opponent isn't....If I must use my hands, feet and fingers to create the same effect than so be it...My last point is that a skilled practitioner will practice for such a thing and practice hard. With it we tend to be able to react and attack without thinking. It becomes ingrained. So I may be playing catch up but I'm not stopping till I win.
It not a pretty picture I'm painting but reality never is with this sort of thing. Might sound brutal...but that's because it is....it's not a game....your actions or non actions could be the difference between life and death....Doc :D

Not sure you really understand what I was getting at with my post.
ffbeerd

Post by ffbeerd »

Ankerson wrote:Not sure you really understand what I was getting at with my post.
I think we get it; if Mark Walberg wants to shoot me from a mile away, I'll never be able to defend it.

But, generally speaking, most attacks aren't premeditated to the point that a trained killer is trying to assassinate you...it's something that escalates. And in the end, all you can do is train and be as prepared as possible.

Great video.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ffbeerd wrote:I think we get it; if Mark Walberg wants to shoot me from a mile away, I'll never be able to defend it.

But, generally speaking, most attacks aren't premeditated to the point that a trained killer is trying to assassinate you...it's something that escalates. And in the end, all you can do is train and be as prepared as possible.

Great video.
I wasn't talking about guns.....

There are those out there that are trained to kill with a blade and they are good enough the person that is attacked will never know they were there or what they did until it's way too late. The person that was attacked will never have a chance to react because the attacker will be standing there watching them die or will be walking away as the life goes out of them.