Scale preference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shazam

Scale preference?

Post by Shazam »

I admit I'm a big fan of the Stainless models. They can be a bit high maintenance for EDC compared to the FRN and G10. I've found myself collecting the stainless models (I want them all ;) ) and end up carrying the G10 or FRN models.

The carbon fibre models are sweet but don't appeal to me.

Does anyone else have the same preferences in scales? I wasn't a big fan of the newest FRN style but the Rock Salt and Endura 4 changed me :)
:spyder: Spyderco-aholic
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I prefer micarta, whether smooth, as on my Caly Jr.s, or rough, as on my Temp 2.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given the choice, I'll take stainless bolsters and natural material scales over anything else, but I'll carry just pretty much anything except textured G-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Not a fan of SS here (unless it's etched), but my favorite is probably the twill-woven carbon fiber coming out of Taiwan. I also really like carrying the low-maintenance FRN and G10 knives. Since I don't like how SS shows scratches easily, then I'm also guessing that Ti and Al handles aren't for me either.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gotta say i love the carbon fiber, but i also feel less inclined to carry it because i hate to see it get damaged. The textured CF is even better. I love the looks of stainless but it scratches so easy...i would love to see a stainless handle with some kind of machined texture/grip to it. G10 is really growing on me..i love how it almost feels soft in a way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Scratches and pocket wear don't bother me, but I prefer non-metallic scales. I have a bunch of stainless models and none of them get carried regularly.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Reno Sepulveda

Post by Reno Sepulveda »

The more time I spend with my FRN Stretch the more I like this FRN stuff. Lightweight and tough, it's my favorite so far for a knock around knife.

For a fancier blade I like satin finished wood. Ironwood in particular is really tough and beautiful.
"Think of me as a toxic mix of Wilford Brimley, Dennis Leary and Huell Houser. That’s what I do."
Reno Sepulveda :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Natural materials are the top choice,especially wood. In combination with bolsters even better. Linien micarta is great as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Micarta, natural, FRN, G10 for me. I have titanium & stainless knives that never get carried. Don't care for the feel & weight.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
THG

Post by THG »

Shazam wrote:I admit I'm a big fan of the Stainless models. They can be a bit high maintenance for EDC compared to the FRN and G10. I've found myself collecting the stainless models (I want them all ;) ) and end up carrying the G10 or FRN models.
Hey, me too! I really like stainless handles; they make a knife seem a whole lot more solid (I don't mind the weight at all.) The thing is, though, that it has to at least have an adjustable pivot. It's one reason that Kershaw has diverted my attention a bit :o But it would be cool to see some more SS Spydercos (Delica with an FFG and adjustable pivot, maybe a Military or Para 2, Zowada in SS would be nice...)

Other than that, I really like FRN. It's lightweight, and I don't feel bad about denting it or whatever.

G10 is also nice, but I don't like it if it rips up my pants.

I'd rather do without carbon fiber because it's expensive.

Edit: dislikes include bone and wood.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

I have Spydies in G10, SS, CF and Ti but I tend to prefer the FRN.
It serves my purposes and it can take a beating and not look roughed up after.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I like G10 and Carbon Fiber and I prefer a smooth finish.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

I prefer G10 from a performance standpoint. i find it the easiest to grip although it does tend to do a number on my pant pockets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

For modern folders, FRN or Micarta are my favorites. For traditionals, jigged bone. I don't like metal handles for the most part (Victorinox Alox models being an exception), and haven't owned any CF handled knives to be able to make a judgement on them.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I am not a fan of SS. Looks nice, but to heavy for the size. Much prefer G10 or micarta or CF.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Leatherneck wrote:Micarta, natural, FRN, G10 for me. I have titanium & stainless knives that never get carried. Don't care for the feel & weight.
This for me, too, except I never bought a titanium handled knife. The metal handles are too slick, too heavy.

Wood or bone are great on a gent's knife.
UltraMagnus

Post by UltraMagnus »

carbon fibre or natural materials here. Cant stand plastic handles and I am not a fan of metal ones.

Yes I know CF is technically somewhat plastic, but it is special.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Gifted my last stainless handled Spydies to appreciative friends this Christmas. My taste in folders trends more towards G-10, textured CF and FRN.

When I get another stainless handled spydie I'll have it engraved to make it special and to give it some roughness. Jazz has done some wonderful work with his stainless handles :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

G-10 micarta and Spydercos FRN.
:spyder: Control the HEAD...and you control the SNAKE! :spyder:
:spyder: Integrity is being good even if no one is watching :spyder:
Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Love the look and feel of Carbon fiber, but I hate so see it get damaged. for daily pocket carry I'll have to go with FRN. But I've never had a G-10 to compare it with.
Black FRN D4 CE
Ladybug Salt SE
SS D'fly PE
Carbon Fiber Caly3 ZDP-189