Smith stones vs DMT stones.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Re: Smith stones vs DMT stones.

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

David R wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm
Why are so many people recommending diamond plates for Henckels knives? These are probably 1.4116 steel at 57 HRC.

Unless you need diamond stones for some of your Spyderco or or other knives, I'd get a cheap, simple stone. You can get a King combination stone (250 and 1K grit) that will sharpen these knives perfectly well, including cleaning up the edge. Depending on how bad it is it could take a while at 250, but it will get you there. And if you touch them up even every few months you should not ever have to reprofile the edge again. My soft German steel kitchen knives seem to do ok at ~18 degrees. Maybe 17, but that's pushing it. At 20 dps they don't cut well enough to be usable (imo).

I recommended diamond stones because I think it’s silly to spend money on a stone that can only sharpen a small subset of my knives.

I’d rather spend a little more and get a stone that can handle any knife I own. Just me though.
David R

Post by David R »

Fair point, and I get it. But he has a $30 price range. You can get a double-sided diamond plate for $30, but it's not great. And surface mount course diamonds tear up an edge like crazy. For somebody starting out with stones I think king stones are a less risky way to go. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

David R wrote:
Why are so many people recommending diamond plates for Henckels knives? These are probably 1.4116 steel at 57 HRC.

Unless you need diamond stones for some of your Spyderco or or other knives, I'd get a cheap, simple stone. You can get a King combination stone (250 and 1K grit) that will sharpen these knives perfectly well, including cleaning up the edge. Depending on how bad it is it could take a while at 250, but it will get you there. And if you touch them up even every few months you should not ever have to reprofile the edge again. My soft German steel kitchen knives seem to do ok at ~18 degrees. Maybe 17, but that's pushing it. At 20 dps they don't cut well enough to be usable (imo).
For me, it’s because they’re so easy to use and maintain. I can take them out, use them dry, rinse off the swarf and put them away. And ten years down the line, they’ll still be cutting, and still be flat.
David R

Post by David R »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
David R wrote:

For me, it’s because they’re so easy to use and maintain. I can take them out, use them dry, rinse off the swarf and put them away. And ten years down the line, they’ll still be cutting, and still be flat.
Got it. Fair point.