Very Large folder discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zeus

Post by zeus »

After carrying a Police, Endura, Cuda Maxx, and Military for most of my life, I have recently been carrying both models of the C.S. Large Espada (the polished aluminum version and the G-10 version) with dress clothes and a modified Rajah for work wear. At first they seemed huge, but now I can't go back to something smaller for work and self defense. I'd really like to see a 5" blade offered for the Military or Manix. As Spyderco is a higher quality knife, I would love to switch back to them for my EDC. I just picked up a Manix 2XL hoping to EDC it, but it's just the same size as my Military. (of course I knew that from the specs). Six inches in a folder is too big and 4" is not enough. 5" seems to be just about right. Of course there are the knife legal length limits to deal with... However, I've never heard anyone say "Boy, I wish I had a smaller knife".
Holland

Post by Holland »

I can honestly say that i will prob never carry anything bigger then the para2. And if the para2 wasnt so awesome i would prefer to carry something smaller
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
thelock

Post by thelock »

Until about 2 years ago I used to hate large folders, mainly because a small knife gives you more freedom in movement in self defense situations and usually for utility it is all you need. Now, in my country the blade limit used to be the length of the four fingers, that is how cops used to measure the blade length, even thou officially the only illegal to carry knives were OTF knives and ballisongs, but you can't teach cops right...lol so about two years ago I was carrying a 2'' Browning knife while metal detecting on the beach and this guy all of a sudden comes and attacks me, takes my little shovel from my hand and threatens to hit me with it and I pull the knife out, but guess what, the guy is laughing at me, telling me, u think I am afraid of that little knife?? I was shocked, I was counting on the intimidation factor, but fortunately the guy underestimated me and I knocked him down, then called the cops. From that day on, I have been carrying two knives, one 4'' or larger and one 2" or smaller, sometimes even 3.5''. I live in kind of a getto place were people get attacked, robbed and sometimes even killed, we are not allowed to carry guns, hack sooner or later we won't even be allowed to own them, but I never leave the house without a self defense blade, and that has saved my life in several occasions, just by pulling the huge knife out. So what I am saying is, people are afraid of big knives, it will give you that intimidation factor and God forbid if you ever found yourself in those kinds of situations, it is likely that they will run away if you pull something like a Szabo out. So, more power to big knives.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

I have a resilience, love it.
I stonewashed the clip and lanyard tube, cleaned it and used moly grease on the washers and it is buttery smooth, and a safe queen.
But I would like something bigger :) (twss?)
Maybe something in the range of the XL voyager by CS with a BB lock?
That would be sweet in VG-10 too!
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Holland wrote:I can honestly say that i will prob never carry anything bigger then the para2. And if the para2 wasnt so awesome i would prefer to carry something smaller
Im right there with you on this. For 95% of my needs a Para2 or smaller is sufficient - especially when around people. I might consider carrying a larger folder while camping, but at that point, I would just prefer to carry my Temp2.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

3.5" blade is perfect for my need and taste. 3" Native5 and Caly3 are fine and will do 95% of my tasks.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

For me the length of the knife doesn't affect my pocket carry at all, but the closed height (from spine to swedge) does. For example a Manix2 XL feels huge in my pocket while a BM 710 does not. They are the same blade and handle length. The thickness is also about the same. The girth/height is the real killer for me.
A slim profile 5" blade would be very nice! I'd carry that!

JD
phaust

Post by phaust »

JudasD wrote:For me the length of the knife doesn't affect my pocket carry at all, but the closed height (from spine to swedge) does. For example a Manix2 XL feels huge in my pocket while a BM 710 does not. They are the same blade and handle length. The thickness is also about the same. The girth/height is the real killer for me.

JD
Agree with this entirely!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JudasD wrote:For me the length of the knife doesn't affect my pocket carry at all, but the closed height (from spine to swedge) does. For example a Manix2 XL feels huge in my pocket while a BM 710 does not. They are the same blade and handle length. The thickness is also about the same. The girth/height is the real killer for me.

JD
phaust wrote:Agree with this entirely!
Sounds like you two need a Police 3 or a Ulize. Slim but long.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phaust

Post by phaust »

xceptnl wrote:Sounds like you two need a Police 3 or a Ulize. Slim but long.
Not a 5" blade :)

Police/Ulize are right in that ballpark, though. Ulize is on my short list :D
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I would love to see a remade Chinook 1, with the newer hardware and lock mechanisms. And if it could retain the aesthetics of the original (hollow ground, clip point blade).
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I would love to see a remade Chinook 1, with the newer hardware and lock mechanisms. And if it could retain the aesthetics of the original (hollow ground, clip point blade).
Yeh, and with a 4 inch blade. :D
BAL

Post by BAL »

A large Chinook is right up my alley. Anyone that has to be outside in the snow and cold
knows how difficult is is to workwith a smaller knife. You can't dig it out of your pocket
and it is hard to work with.

I am not a big fan of fixed blades because of the clothes that you have to wear in the cold.
Coats and coveralls cover up your belt and you still have to dig around to pull out. The Military
works great to clip onto the pocket of coveralls, even the chest pockets. I pull out a Resilience
for rough work as well, but those are about it when you are wearing gloves.

Everytime I hear someone say that the Military handle is too long or that the Military is too big,
I know that they don't spend that much time working in the snow and cold.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BAL wrote:A large Chinook is right up my alley. Anyone that has to be outside in the snow and cold
knows how difficult is is to workwith a smaller knife.
I too would welcome a larger sized Chinook model. If the Bison isn't going to be brought to market then let's go with something that most everyone loved and that is the Chinook III full flat grind.

I'm thinking maybe a 4.5 inch to 5 inch blade. Even 4 inch would be nice as a hunter companion blade. Also I would want to see it in one of Carpenter's great steels like XHP or better.

Micarta or G-10 handle would be superb as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I want the bison!
On the hunt for...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dwong wrote:I would like to see style such as C54/C55 by spyderco again.
Those looks great as well nice slicer.
The C-54 big Calypso is one model that I personally deem to be a sacred "GRAIL" knife.. I would love to see a larger folder version of the C-54. It would make a folder almost equivalent to the Temperance 1 fixed blade model. If we can't get a Temp 1 made with H-1 steel and a yellow handle then maybe a bigger C-54 model might be the next best thing.

I'm still on board with the larger Chinook III or even the Bison model if it ever comes to fruition. I know that there are a lot of you guys/gals here at Spyderville who are content with what Spyderco has already offered. But there is a market for big folders to be sure. I think at least one or two models that would be extra large would truly fill a market void. And with Spyderco's name on it you wouldn't have to worry about sales.

But a big C-54 would be colossal. I would also vote to have it with a compression lock similar to the LIL T or the Gunting.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
thelock

Post by thelock »

Chinook 1, fully serrated, compression lock will be in my dreams tonight. :)
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Although "taller" knives do indeed fill the pocket, they also fill the hand. Especially when giving up some of that to have flat scales for a thinner profile, I think it's beneficial for larger designs to be a bit taller. What's great is that no matter what your preference, you have options to fit the bill as xceptnl pointed out.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

xceptnl wrote:Sounds like you two need a Police 3 or a Ulize. Slim but long.
I need to also add that i hate backlock knives :D That removed both of these from my want list.

JD
zeus

Post by zeus »

JD
I agree with you! - I just measured all my steak knives and they are all 5" blades. Guess that's why I like that length: it's what I'm used to. I'm thinking that since I use my EDC outside of work mostly as a lunch or dinner knife, then a 5" slim blade would fit the bill. I've seen a folding pocket steak knife somewhere on the web, but it's limited in its use for EDC. So if Spyderco came out with say a 5" Police model with stainless scales, it would appeal to the LEOs as a duty knife while appearing to be just a dinner knife to sheeple in a restaurant. Some black Micarta to help it look like a steak knife may lessen the overall length visually. Collectors would be snapping them up, Sal would not have to re-tool much, and it's a design that Spyderco is famous for.