Very Large folder discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I waited forever for the Resilience to become available, as soon as it did I ordered one. I can't see anything larger than that being practical, though I did EDC that blade for 3 weeks. :)
sal

Post by sal »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Seems that there are just too many people virulently opposed...

No matter, I will have to be content with my chinook 3.
Hi Chuck,

Opposition is not a problem. If there is sufficient demand, we can build. We build a number of items that do not meet the needs of all.

sal
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

Much respect Sal! I love that your dedication to this sharp knife thing means so much! I like that you strongly (but politely) defend that which you believe in and that things get made if it seems like a good solid idea even if not everyone can see the usefulness.
I have a Chinook 3 and it's great! I would love to see a larger, non-swept blade design and if one becomes available (and doesn't cost a million dollars) I will buy it!
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

sal wrote:Hi Chuck,

Opposition is not a problem. If there is sufficient demand, we can build. We build a number of items that do not meet the needs of all.

sal
That's good to hear Sal, Thanks for chiming in.

I just hope that there is sufficient demand to make it a good business decision for you. I always knew that you listened to your customers. That's why I do sometimes make a pest of myself(apologies for this).
Picksmith

Post by Picksmith »

The FFG Delica has knocked all similarly sized non SAK blades out of my carry rotation. Actually... I don't have any this size that have lasted more than a few days, this little dude is great! I also carry a 6" Voyager daily. I know some call large folders novelty, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise. Personally, I always have room for a large blade this light no matter what else I've got. I think if slim and light works for this company, then slim and light is what I would like to see. Hollow saber ground spear point could be cool. Like a mondo native with a rear ergo tweek so you could choke back a little. One of the only things I don't like about the old Voyager, there isn't alot of blade stop. A good choil, fully accomodating handle ergo's, above entry level steel (VG-10) and a 5 inch length is a blade I'd buy. 4 way adjustable clip for versatile carry, slim and lightweight. High hollow saber ground, hollow ground with a spear point, or good bowie swedge for something that size or larger is my preference.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

I think the Bradley is probably the closest to a folder style I would want in a EDC blade. Strong lock, strong blade. 3.5 inches of usable super steel. One problem is the weight and lack of deeper choil to keep your hand from riding forward. If it was a Ti frame with some colored G10 handle and a DLC coated blade, then I'd have one of the first batches. I really don't have the need for a big folder in my urban area.

More little big knives please, Sal.
...oh you know why!
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll weigh in with a few comments on this. I've carried a Military (predominately) for 7+ years now and have found that it will do anything I ask of it. I've been asked many times why I carry a knife that's so big and I usually reply that it can do everything I need it to, with room to spare. Originally, my 440V Military would occasionally share duty with a Lil' Temperance and though I rarely needed the extra blade, it is nice to have. Since I got a S90V and one of the M4 Militaries, I don't go to a smaller blade, I just change steel and handle material.

I also have and enjoy the Police 3 and recently received my Resilience. The Police often rides IWB as a backup because it's not only relatively thin, it's also very narrow top to bottom. Combined with the clip placement, it's ideal for that carry style, IMO. The Resilience is new and I haven't really given it a chance yet, as I've only had it for 4 days. It'll get shaken down and tested shortly.

Keep in mind that I also always have a Cricket on my keys (mostly to keep my keys handy, but also for those #@^$ing blister packs) and also have a Mule on my belt horizontally for other cutting tasks. I still will normally use the Military for most tasks due to it doing everything well and it being very comfortable in use. I will also admit that it's very familiar to me and I know the design well.

I'd like to see a bit longer blade for some instances. I don't have much interest if it's wider than a Military in the pocket, more than about 7/16" thick through the handle or heavier than about 6 or so ounces. IMO, one of the hallmarks of Spyderco has always been a comfortable and ergonomic handle that's not too thick, bulky or heavy. I know of 3 people that carry Spyderco instead of competitors knives due to the "thinness" of the handle. They used to carry competitors knives due to the fact that they were comfortable in the hand, but never liked them in the pocket. They found, over time that their Spyderco's allowed comfort in the hand and in the pocket. It really does make a difference to me in carrying the knife all day everyday, especially when carrying multiple knives and other gear. I don't want a bigger knife so much as a longer one. Extra reach has it's virtues and vices, but I'd like one for it's virtues and could live with the vices.

One knife that was very interesting to me was the Laci Szabo concept. It was long, thin and looked very nice. http://spydercollector.wordpress.com/20 ... 93-part-4/ I'd really like to see something of this variety. Any word on this guy?
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Picksmith,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Hi JLS,

The Laci Szabo is still in-the-works. Blade is close to 5"

I do appreciate all of the thoughts and opinions.

sal
markg

Post by markg »

Large knives appeal to something within us, they make us feel safe, prepared, what not. In reality, a folding knife with a blade between 3.25-3.50 inches is what I prefer (as long as it has a full sized handle).

That being said, about 37% of my knife buying tendencies are irrational. Therefore, I would buy a Spyderco mega-folder just for fun.

I also feel, that sometimes the Spyderco line up ends up with too many knives in the Delica/Native/Caly 3/Sage size range. Seems to get a log jam at times, and as a result some great knives never get off the ground. Just my opinion. So for the sake of diversity, I think a mega-folder makes sense.

And again, I would buy one.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

A large "Spyder-saw" folder would be really neat for camping and backpacking. Picture a full SpyderEdge but made a little larger.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I get enough use out of my 6" folders that I just don't see them as unusual or impractical.
My favorite big knife weighs a little less than 7 ounces, well within the range of many widely accepted folders with blades 4" or under. Given the extra capability, a little extra weight isn't as big a deal, and I tend to notice extra weight less on a large frame.
Big knives are faster at tearing down cardboard boxes, can do light chopping, and can slice fruit and vegetables with less effort. I've said before that if you carry a Spyderco Military, you have no reason to own a kitchen knife. That would be even more true if the Military had a 5" or longer blade. The only drawback to most large knives is that they are made with the heavy duty mentality. If you keep things light and relatively compact, you lose very little practicality for the massive gain in ability.

With the Military as large as it is already, you would really only need to make the handle 3/4" longer to comfortably fit a 5" blade. I like having lots of handle past my pinky finger, and extending the choil a little further into the handle would make the two grip positions feel very natural. Giving it the Compression Lock or Caged Ball Bearing Lock would definitely sweeten the deal, and alleviate concern over placement of the lock bar cut out.
After that it just needs a S110V blade. :D

For something large and a little more robust, the Manix 2 would be a good base pattern, especially given that it is already tailored for mass appeal.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Wow the Laci megafolder is appealing.......he and I are similar in stature with big mits. Definately want to get one in hand! ;) These size folders which are too large for some feel comfortable in my hand. I agree with the full log of smaller designed folders. I do understand the legal requirement in certain locations, but Sal already provides that niche.........I do not know a great deal about the tuff knife, Sal any updates or info that you can share? A relatively big tool, beefed up for some(not absurd!)moderate abuse?
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Love the Szabo. The picture reminds me of the one worry I had about a spyderco megafolder. As I said earlier, I like the combination of big, but still carryable. A giant hump for a hole could stretch the width at the thumbhole to 2" -- which doesn't seem like it'd be happy in a pocket. Obviously, I'd need to feel it, but would prefer a solution to that -- maybe a lower-profile hole and hump, set low relative to the handle in the radius of the finger choil. Just rambling, but that Szabo pic got me thinking. I'll probably pick up a Szabo in either case, but start agitating for lower-profile hump immediately
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Any pictures available of the Szabo folder? Blade close to 5 inches?
:D

Also, Picksmith, good to see you posting here! Enjoy your stay!

EDIT: Saw a picture! **** yeah! Consider one sold :)

HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

THG

Post by THG »

Why a large folder? I think it would be good to have that option. Spyderco already makes a large amount of ~3" folders of similar design, and I think they would be adding something "new" to make a larger-sized folder.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
SnowCrash

Post by SnowCrash »

sal wrote:Our research is for our own study. Sorry.

You mean like: "AUS-8 has better edge holding than CPM-S30V" or "1/4" thick Tanto blades will penetrate better than thin pointy blades".

You are entitled to yor opinion, and I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with you.

sal
Sal, with all due respect, please do tell us how much force it took to render the tri-ad lock useless- it's difficult to follow your statements when first you say you have data that the lock isn't as good as people say it is, and then you withhold the data, saying it is for spyderco use and for everyone else to accept.

Putting aside the testing videos cold steel sends with their knives, including the 600lb weight test on the espada XL lock, along with nutnfancy's recon 1 abuse test with hammering and splitting wood, I can't help but say spyderco knives can't stand up to that sort of hard use.

I strongly respect your knife line and love spyderco to death, but the truth of the matter is they are lighter, no-nonsense cutting tools that do exactly what knives are meant to do, while cold steel will always be the beefier/heavy use/abuse knife company above others.

I do not say I prefer cold steel over spyderco (I don't!) but I get the feeling you are turning into another Lynn Thomson, saying your knives do EVERYTHING better than the competition's. Though I partially agree, as they are easier to sharpen, lighter weight, generally seem to be overall sharper, credit must be given where credit is due; Benchmade for ergonomics, cold steel for abuse and big cutting tasks, kershaw for their...well....whatever kershaw is good at, and spyderco for what I mentioned previously ;)

Like I said, my choice brand is of course, Spyderco. Please keep the great quality knives going, and stay away from the LynnSomnia!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the whole Tri-Ad mentioning was merely difusing fact from fiction. It's a strong lock but not the end-all and secret weapon no other company can compete with. A heat seeking missile loaded with Chuck Norris & Ninja shrapnel.

For me it doesn't matter how strong a lock is if the style of a knife makes me sick, it weighs more than a camp hatchet, has ergos of a garden trowel, and costs more than a platinum covered Rib-Eye from one of Gordon Ramsey's kitchens.

The above was not an attack on any brand. FYI.

Note:

SnowCrash wrote:Sal, with all due respect, please do tell us how much force it took to render the tri-ad lock useless- it's difficult to follow your statements when first you say you have data that the lock isn't as good as people say it is, and then you withhold the data, saying it is for spyderco use and for everyone else to accept.
People don't say it's "good" they say it's a world-leveling demigod. Sal is saying they can make a knife as strong as they want regardless if they possess said technology. I think that is a fair claim but will only believe him with plenty of car hood stabbing and beef cutting. :p
SnowCrash wrote:Putting aside the testing videos cold steel sends with their knives, including the 600lb weight test on the espada XL lock, along with nutnfancy's recon 1 abuse test with hammering and splitting wood, I can't help but say spyderco knives can't stand up to that sort of hard use.
The 600 pound weight test is silly but impressive looking. MBC rating is 200+ lbs per blade inch. That means the Manix2 for example for $70 should hold 700+. If you havent used and destroyed a Spydie (or multiple) then that is speculation at best. Nutnfancy was more impressive before I started researching.

As for the fear of Sal becoming Lynn rest assured it won't happen. They are two different people and genetic splicing is far from safe or realistic at this point. They will live out life with separate DNA more than likely.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Is it too much to ask for a folding pry bar? The concept I have thought of has a 10" bar stock and is completely dull. The lock is upside down so to maximize engineering strain during normal use rather than as an emergency measure.

For a name? "Spine-whacky Pry Bugger XXL Biggie-sized"

No input needed. It's a joke.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Spyderco can design a lock to any strength they want. It's not a difficult process at all and can be done by using different materials, and making parts bigger. Not a particularly difficult process.

Making a lock reliable and long lasting, able to digest dirt and still work, ergonomic, smooth and not too difficult or too easy to release.... all of these things are more difficult to pull off.

Throw in making it affordable and desirable to the customers and it starts to get tough. Then, of course you need to think about the guys who build the thing. Too tough, or overly complicated and the number of knives that don't make it through QC jumps.

This oversimplifyes things greatly.

IMO any of the locks used by Spyderco can be "beefed up" to supply the numbers given. That doesn't even begin to tell the story though.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"