Very Large folder discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My reason to want a "tank folder" is because honestly i just love the mechanics of a folding knife more than i do a fixed blade. While i do appreciate the overall simplicity of a fixed blade, there is something about a well made folder that appeals to my mechanical tinkering side. I love a good lock design and i love seeing how that lock design works to bring a great ergonomic handle design together with a great functional blade. I think it takes a lot more skill and creativity to design a quality folder than it does a fixed blade. Even though i'm one who will agree that a fixed blade is the right tool for serious hard use jobs, i can't break my mind away from the idea that someday a folder may exist that can change that. I love the idea of a folder that is so robust and well designed that when it locks into place, you feel and believe that you're cutting with a fixed blade.

Oh and personally, "big" isn't really my number one lust for a knife like this...i'd say brute strength and rigidity are first and then size second since i have to deal with length laws. I probably wouldn't be interested in anything bigger than a Military in overall size.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I think if the market would be profitable for one than sal should go for it. For me however, I don't own a Military because it's just too big for my hands so I would have no use for something bigger than that. Which, on 2nd thought, sucks since I have been whining about a coyote brown handled para and now I see it is coming out on the Military. :D
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Why should Spyderco make or not make very large folders?"

To cover the entire spectrum of folders.
Many still like 4"-4 1/4" blades with smooth opening locks and easy detents.
The type that "flick" open easily with one hand assisted by the weight of a large blade. {Oh the horror} :rolleyes:
(The Bolt action lock might be a winner on such a knife)
For me its also important that larger folders are slim and slip into and out of front pockets well.
Abrasive or overly thick scale's make's larger folders less fun to carry.
(Like the Tank knife's others are talk about. They are no fun to carry)
The larger the folder, the smoother the design needs to be. Nothing to snag, no sharp protruding features.

While I understand the need to make under 3" non locking knifes I also see a market for larger well made knifes that carry well. I would post some pic's but tend to only post Spyderco photos here.

As far as size goes, I have not found a folder over 4 1/4" that meets the above criteria. If Spyderco could make such a knife with say a 4 1/2" blade folks would buy them. Not million's, but I bet enough to keep it going. I would also like to see it made in Golden as it seems folks in the US carry larger knifes in general than those not living in the US.

The Navaja could have been that knife, but I understand the direction you went with that series

The Slipit Terzuola was a surprise. A 4 1/4" ATCF would also be nice.

So, do you think were ready for a slim, Bolt action, 4 1/4" - 4 1/2" folder with smooth Micarta scales & melt down treatment?

Just my opinion / random thoughts & point of view........ ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

With all the various directions that folks want a large folder to go, I sincerely doubt that Spyderco will eventually make one.

The only thing I can point out to, is the commercial success of largish, heavy duty folders.
Manix Guy 2

I like them All !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

My largest folder is a Sifu , but the Spyderco line in my collection is the Military , Police , Manix and Chinook . Everyone here knows my love for large folders and as I have said they are not for everyone . I have large hands , big folders just feel right for me . not lost like say for example a Delica . The Spyderco examples I have stated are really my limit in blade lengths that I find useful . If I would need something bigger I would go with a fixed blade . Regards MG2
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

When I think of 'large folders' I think of my original Manix that I purchased several years ago. I've carried it ever since while in uniform as a law enforcement officer. No, I've never used it to cut seatbelts or while in a physical confrontation, but I think these cutting tasks speak to what one might find themselves doing with a large folder. A well designed and properly manufactured folder that's constructed with the best materials can do everything a smaller folder can, , , ,but the inverse isn't necessarily true. And that's why I opted for a larger folder for my work environment. But would I want to carry anything larger than that? Certainly not, just gets too big and bulky.

In reading this thread I'm wondering if we're looking at the term 'large folder' in terms of weight, robustness, or only in regards to physical dimensions? A folder that is large just for the sake of being big, is nothing impressive and a novelty at best. And few, if any of us, carry knives for novelty. A large folder that's built with enough strength/size to enable it to do things that smaller folders can't, , and all the while being made as light as possible, without sacrificing too much strength (there's always a trade-off between the two) then I think it speaks to a market that's poised to have a high quality knife of those specs.

That being said, I never carry my full size Manix while off duty. In fact, for the past couple years I've been working as a LEO in plain cloths (business casual, or business suits) and I find smaller folders are much more appropriate there. Typically that means a Stretch, Para2, Caly3, or my Embassy while on duty.

Ultimately, when you look back through the years at what Spyderco has produced, you can clearly see an evolution and refinement of their products. If Sal has started this thread I'd say the question of a new 'large folder' has been floating around and he's already got his thinking cap on. I can not wait to see what prototypes come up since I've 100 percent confident he will orchestrate that delicate waltz between the conflicting user desires and design constrains of size, strength, weight, functionality, ergonomics, and aesthetics.

Also: I love that term "Tank Folder" :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SQSAR wrote:In reading this thread I'm wondering if we're looking at the term 'large folder' in terms of weight, robustness, or only in regards to physical dimensions?
FWIW, Sal started this thread in response to some posts in a thread about the upcoming Ed Schempp Navaja. Folks were expressing a desire for folders with 5"+ blades and, while he seemed to be of the opinion that the usefulness of such knives is limited, he wanted to continue the discussion without derailing that thread.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I was pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of my Rajah 1 (CS). I bought an Espada XL as a result.

A big plus of both knives is the wave style opening. This means I can whip the knife out open, one-handed and hack/slice at obstructing foliage, close, pocket and walk on.

I would love a Spyderco equivalent.
catamount

Post by catamount »

The Resilience has most of the ingredients I want in a large folder: G-10, FFG, great blade shape, relatively light weight, relatively slim, and easy to carry.

Upgraded blade steel is the main thing I want. I can live with the liner lock, but a compression, or possibly bolt action, lock would be great.

One thing I DON'T want is a thicker blade. IMO, 3 mm is durable enough, without sacrificing slicing ability.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
MCM

Post by MCM »

At the end of the day, I would buy a Spyderco megafolder.
5", 6", 7" etc. If not to use, for the collection.
If it carried well, that would be a bonus.

I actually think they would sell better than expected.
Not many large "quality" folders being produced.
All I ask is that its slim.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Do I like large folders? Yes. Would I buy one? Being primarily a user, and being primarily interested in EDC knives, no I probably wouldn't. 4" is probably the largest knife I would want to carry, and if the ergos work something with a 3"-3.5" blade is plenty long and causes less drama.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If it can't be done with a Mili or Police it can't be done.

Blades in excess of about 4.5" for folders seem more an exercise in bravado than utility. Weight seems to go off the charts. Even if there is a use for a 7" blade folder I wouldn't be able to justify getting my *** laughed at for being a social reject.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

IMO 4" blades are the practical limit for folders.

The Military and Barong are fine examples of how good design and light weight can make a 4" blade work pretty well on tasks better suited to sub 3" blades. But the trade off between blade length and control deteriorates rapidly as the length increases. For many the perfect trade off length has already been reached at 3 or 3.5".

Given that +4" are less versatile, what specialized function does the 5" folder serve that is not better served by a fixed blade?

4" has been the largest legal folder blade length in the states I have lived in. How many situations are there in which a +4" folder is legal but a fixed blade is not?

Because folder blades must fit in their handles, over 4" the handles become too big for even large hands and bigger than most fixed blades.

I would be interested in a heavier 4" folder, perhaps the C95 Manix 2?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I may buy one for novelty, depends on the price, but I have no use for such a large folder.
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

Brummie wrote:Glad some other people have mentioned the idea of a heavier duty Resilience with premium steel. I was waiting on a new version of the large manix, but having now got the Resilience, I think a beefy folder based on that would be even better. Can anyone out there also see the Resilience+ with a flipper, or is that just me?

Attached a photo of one of my favorite larger folders (shown next the Resilience for comparison) - which also illustrates the way that some great designs just don't take off. 5/32 S30V blade, titanium liners, tyically versatile and efficient Harsey design, and I bought it direct off Beretta USA for only $108 shortly before it was discontinued (they even threw in a hat for that price). Now, if only I could get something similar, but with a Spyderco leaf blade, ergos and compression or ball lock.
Congrats, I have the same Beretta BH Tactical and love it. It is a wonderfully amazingly built quality knife manufactured by Fantoni Italy. Not sure how they were able to sell it at a price this low. It has to be subsidized by Beretta. I got a few of those before it was discontinued. The design is classic Harsey, thick TI liner and G10 scale, smooth action, superb ergonomics. Great cutting performance without sacrificing strength of the tip. I wish Spyderco had a knife with this great Harsey design.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Since this is an opinion thread...my opinion is that a Military-size folder is the practical limit. Larger than that and you get increased cost, mechanical/physical compromises and other limitations that make a fixed blade a better choice. I note that this thread deals specifically with "large," not "hard use."
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Sequimite wrote:I
Given that +4" are less versatile, what specialized function does the 5" folder serve that is not better served by a fixed blade?
Any function for which I want a larger blade, but don't want to carry a fixed blade. I'll carry a Cuda Maxx to the mall, but I wouldn't carry a fixed blade with a similar sized blade even if it were legal.
4" has been the largest legal folder blade length in the states I have lived in. How many situations are there in which a +4" folder is legal but a fixed blade is not?
A number of major markets, such as CA. But legal isn't the whole topic -- a Cuda Maxx is extremely carryable in a way that a fixed blade with a 5.5" is not. No argument that a fixed blade has important advantages also, but for me, carrying a fixed blade that big at the mall or at a park isn't in the cards, even if it were legal.
Because folder blades must fit in their handles, over 4" the handles become too big for even large hands and bigger than most fixed blades.
That's a generalization that's definitely untrue. I have relatively small hands, love the way my Cuda Maxx feels in the hand. Yes, there's two inches of handle sticking out the back, but that doesn't negate the fact that the part my hand holds onto feels good.

I get it that you don't have a need for a large folder for your purposes. All your reasoning might work really well for you, but you can't apply it universally to the rest of us. You'll have to take my word for it that a large folder fits my needs very well, better than the alternatives you suggest, and your reasoning breaks down for me -- and the fact that there's a bit of a large folder market probably means that that's the case for others also.
I would be interested in a heavier 4" folder, perhaps the C95 Manix 2?
That's what I'm definitely not interested in -- the strider size uber alles design. I realize it works for others though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mostly I use 3" and 3.5" bladed folders. I found that sometimes 3" is a little short, so 3.5" is a perfect size for me. 4" can be OK, if I would feel that I need something bigger than 4", I would use fixed blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

+2 on that Cuda MAXX. What an awesome knife.

I don't have much more to add to the discussion, other than, IMO, a Spydie LARGE folder, should not only be large in dimensions but robustness. I'm talking strongest possible lock they can come up with. How I wish Spyderco had come up with the Tri-Ad lock, but, I'm sure they can TOP it.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I will give a penny to this rich thread. Personally more out of neccessity and safety on my part, I lean toward the larger folders. I am pushing 6'3 and 250lbs. I have large hands and the way many of you feel about your delica's is the way my hands fit the handle of a military etc. now throw in a gloved hand and I really askew any bell curve.

Professionally,I am a advocate of a larger, heavy duty design folder. No, not a novelty tool but one that can stand up to moderate neglect/abuse. Why? I have seen numerous guys wreck knives while going about there everyday routine as LEO's. The beefed up is not to win a popularity contest of the largest folder award, but to aid in the durability of the tool.
I shared with you here on the forums about one of our deputy's SS police that he carries to this day with a broken tip......badly broken. He won't part with it. I know it is hard to please everyone, but when I speak of tools, most of the time it is on behalf of those who I am responsible for. We knife connasuirs are very unforgiving on the way knives are used, unfortunately it happens.

I would love to see Spyderco make a proportionally beefed up design, for the Save and serve folks. There are always compromises, but in the five inch range that can stand up to moderate abuse........for those of you that are in the profession, especially instructors know how notoriously hard we are in general on equipment. Will post again in this thread..........Christmas! I have to tend to a secret mission, code name: Family!LOL