Any news on the Navaja? Price or release day?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Grumpyphil,

Sorry, don't know.

We generally don't like to give delivery dates as changes often occur and people get grumpy. ;) When we know they are being delivered, and they make it through QC, we ship. Sometimes we'll give a head's up a few weeks in advance.

sal
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

sal wrote:Hi Grumpyphil,

Sorry, don't know.

We generally don't like to give delivery dates as changes often occur and people get grumpy. ;) When we know they are being delivered, and they make it through QC, we ship. Sometimes we'll give a head's up a few weeks in advance.

sal
Sal-
One cannot ask for more (I could but even I'M smart enough to know better) than to have the very FOUNDER of the company personally respond to the anguish of a simple customer. Not to mention that PM you sent offering me a free left handed P.I.G. to assuage my angst! :D
Grumpyphil (aka Lefty)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Phil,

Thanx for your kind understanding. Though I haven't seen a lefty PIG model for many years. :o

sal
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

sal wrote:Hi Phil,

Thanx for your kind understanding. Though I haven't seen a lefty PIG model for many years. :o

sal
Well uh gee Sal, if ANYONE could correct that it would you! :D
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I have learned to refrain from prejudging any of Mr. Schemp's designs! I am into the SD attributes of most blade designs. I shook my head repeatedly against the Kris prior to receiving one in hand(Thanks GMAN!). The Kris fell into my hand......ergos were spot on! I am definately interested in this model, I know it is a gem! The fluted Millie, The Szabo folder, The Yo2.......2011 maybe an expensive one! :rolleyes:
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

I for one am very keen to get a Spyderco Navaja in hand & I am reasonably sure that I will buy one even though all I have seen so far is some pics & the youtube vids of the shot-show prototype. It looks (& sounds) great imo.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

I have one pre-ordered and can only hope that Sal and Co. will produce a 5" blade in the future of it.

Now -- where can I pre-order a Szabo folder ???
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

Hi to everybody in the forum ! I'm a new spyderco fan and my first spydie is the sage 1 .Now I'm in love with the Navaja ,Para 2 and Sage 2 . I have a question about the navaja .Is it going to be a limited production run and if not how many pieces will be produced ? I really want one and if it is a limited production may be i won't be able to get my hand on of them ,because I'm not from the USA .It will be great if more navajas are produced ! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Navajasound,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

The Navaja is planned as a regular model.

sal
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

Hi Sal ,thanks for the answer ! :) As I said I'm a fan of the Sage series and I really like (like many others ) that they come sealed in a plastic bag .This really protects the knife against almost anything and I like the feeling that I'm the first to open it ! :) Sal,is there any chance that the Navaja will come in the same sealed plastic bag ? It would be nice . :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yesterday i watched video from Shot show with Navaja again. I need this knife badly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

bh49 wrote:Yesterday i watched video from Shot show with Navaja again. I need this knife badly.
You and me both bro.
Ed Schempp

Navaja

Post by Ed Schempp »

I got to bring one of the production prototypes home from Shot. The action was a little quieter and softer after be handled frequently.

I disassembled the knife and inspected the mechanism and the construction quality. I was able to use my inspection microscope and check for wear. All the parts were fit to extremely close tolerance, beyond your standard handmade knife, the components were exceptionally precise. The handle pins extended through the liners into precise pockets milled into the carbon fiber, this knife has excellent construction.

The downside of this problem was some carbon fiber flakes migrating to the pocket in the bolster for the impactor spring and shimming the spring away slightly reducing the impact. After cleaning the knife worked like new.

This is a factory prototype and not regular regular production where I don't expect to find any debris.

This knife might have Taiwan etched on it but this subcontractor is very good, and might be doing some of the best work on the planet. I think those that own the Sages and the Gayle Bradley will agree...Take care...Ed
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yes, the quality of the Taiwanese Spydercos is incredible. Every one of mine has exceeded expectations. I'm really looking forward to the Navaja.
:bug-red-white
CharlesIV

Post by CharlesIV »

Yes, let them handle the QC before getting them out. As we all know somethings haven't been lining up or buffed out with other highly anticipated folders from other companies due to trying to satisfy customer hunger.
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I can't wait to pick this one up! I am particularly excited that it is out of Taichung -- my gayle bradley and PPT have remarkable fit/finish.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

This knife should be worth the wait. :D
c113cf caly3, c134 g.bradley ,c90 cf stretch,
c55 starmate, c66 vesuvius(x2), c39 mini-dyad
c56 zowada, c11cf delica, Spyderco (Wegner) Mouse,
c49 wegner jr, c83 persian, ladybug (x2), C101 Manix2
c05 standard(x2), c65cf Lum Chinese, c48 wegner, jester(x2)
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

Hi ,to everybody! I know that the steel for taiwan made knives is shipped from USA to Taiwan ,but where do the other components of the knives come from- the liners ,the carbon fiber scales ,stainless steel bolsters OR titanium in some models ? Are they made in Taiwan or they are shipped from USA as well ?
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

bh49 wrote:I can be wrong, but it looks to me a little high for Taiwanese made knife. It is about the same as Seki made Persian. Probably ratchet mechanism bringing extra cost.
Spyderco's Taiwan production is not about being cheap.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

navajasound wrote:Hi ,to everybody! I know that the steel for taiwan made knives is shipped from USA to Taiwan ,but where do the other components of the knives come from- the liners ,the carbon fiber scales ,stainless steel bolsters OR titanium in some models ? Are they made in Taiwan or they are shipped from USA as well ?
I suspect it depends on which materials can be sourced locally. Taiwan does not have a steel industry, at least not one which produces "blade steels", hence the US steels. Steel for liners and bolsters may be local, from the US, or from wherever the steel for those parts used in models built in Japan is from, which would make more sense if it has to be imported. Recall Sal saying the titanium for the Sage II was also supplied by Spyderco and was the same type used by Chris Reeve. No clue whether that's from the USA or whether both Spyderco and CRK import it from somewhere else. Given the unique nature of the CF on the models from Taiwan, it may be local. If not, it could be from anywhere. Wherever the materials are from, they're quality goods, and put together exceptionally well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!