Unforeseen milestone with pillar construction.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rambo241

Unforeseen milestone with pillar construction.

Post by Rambo241 »

Hey guys, I wouldn't really call this a "problem" but more of a milestone to overcome. What happens is the change in my pocket is ending up in the back of my Manix 2 between the blade and the liners. It kind of jams the knife :eek: and I'm afraid it might start dulling the blade. I would just move the change to another pocket, but that's where I keep my second Manix 2. Been thinking about getting one of those coin holders or something like it but don't want to look like a nerd/old man. :rolleyes: lol... So you guys have any ideas that I have yet to think of? Haven't heard this discussed before so I must be doing something wrong, maybe just use plastic from now on? Thanks in advance!

-Blaine
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

Chicks dig Nerds....
Don't worry about it, just pull out the Manix before you pull out your coin purse and i don't think you will have any problems...lol
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I take it your not use the clip? or maybe you have too much money in your pockets :)
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

I use the clip, but when I sit down or move around the change typically manages its way there. It's especially bad when I sit and my knees are higher than my hip(car or shorter chair).
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I solved that problem by dumping all my change in the ashtray of my car. It's not like I use it for anything else. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I use plastic most of the time but if I do end up having change it gets dumped in the cup holder of my truck or on a drawer or table at home before I have a chance to sit down. You could try a wallet that has a zipper or velcro comparment to store coins.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

ahh, ya I guess I could see how that could happen. Mine stays tight against the seam so I haven't had any issues, course the lack of money may help. Sounds like a coin holder may do the trick if you carry lot's of coin.
Perry

Post by Perry »

Why on God's green earth would you carry two knives let alone two of the same knife? Are you goofing us?
Reject

Post by Reject »

Perry wrote:Why on God's green earth would you carry two knives let alone two of the same knife? Are you goofing us?
I suppose mainly because he can. :D

Also if you have to cut something right now, you usually have one hand occupied.
If you are holding something in left hand, you use the right hand and the knife on the right side. If you are holding something in the right hand, you use the left hand and the knife on the left.

Why the same knife? Muscle memory, if your mind is occupied with the task at hand, the last thing you need is to have think about which knife I have. If they are the same knife, it’s not a problem.

Easy! ;)
How much can a Koala bear?
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

I carry AIWB - solves all the pocket-content problems! :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Perry wrote:Why on God's green earth would you carry two knives let alone two of the same knife? Are you goofing us?
Why not? That actually appeals to my sense of symmetry.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you wear jeans, move the coins to the watch/coin pocket. If not, try carrying the Manix 2 IWB. If you don't like that, consider trying a sheath or pouch. If all else fails, find someone to build you a full length backstrap for the Manix 2. Or go plastic. I can't recall the last time I used cash to pay for anything.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

I carry a plastic change holder and am NOT a nerd. I have carried one for all my life. If one does something contrary to your standards, it doesnt mean you should target them with verbal slurs. Its a childish way to try to establish you superiority over them.
As far as carring two knives.........geez perry, i would think at least 99% of the people here carry at least 2, if not more, on a daily basis. I know i do.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I used to always keep my loose change in my left front pocket, where I normally keep a small knife such as ladybug or SAK classic, which don't have enough space for change to get into the knife, but more recently I rarely use cash, nearly always debit card just so I won't have to deal with loose change.

As for carrying multiple knives, I routinely carry at least 3 to 5 knives at once, and I think DocSnubnose said he carries a dozen at all times :D .
grumpyphil

Post by grumpyphil »

I carry a minimum of 4 knives pretty much all the time. No 2 are alike as I have different ones to perform different tasks.
As far as the coin issue is concerned, I would stow it off your person as quickly as possible. I never "spend" coins (nor singles and fives). All that goes in my knife fund :D
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I think this is one scenario where altering the pocket may be reasonable. Some people do it to carry clip-less, but still have the knife stand upright in their pocket.
Sew a line straight up the pocket, so that the knife is separated from everything else in the pocket. I would go from the bottom of the pocket to halfway up the Manix, or just far enough to stop the coins, so that it isn't too difficult to reach past.
Also, leave a little extra space in case you want to carry a larger folder later on. Maybe take the widest folder you have and size it for that. Though you can always pull the stitching out and try again, as long as you don't cut anything there is no harm in experimentation.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Perry

Post by Perry »

Okay, okay, I should have known better, I retract my earlier question. Now I just want to know where the guy who carries a dozen knives carries his coinage? -P
unit

Post by unit »

Regarding the change getting in the action(s)...I keep change in a different pocket, or I toss it into the red buckets next to the ringing bells this time of year (your burden could be another man's blessing).

Merry Christmas!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I have never liked pocket clips. When I got my first Chris Reeve Sebenza I ordered the leather slip case. After wearing out that one I started making my own. I tie a lanyard on the knife and slip it into the case and then into my pocket. (I gave up the sebenza for a Sage 2...although I did have to break out the drill press and drill a lanyard hole.) I really like that system, maybe it's somethng you might want to consider. The slip case keeps the coins out of the knife. Another option is a different wallet that includes a change purse. (Spec Ops THE wallet maybe?) If you are really looking for different carry options I suggest you might want to look at another of my favorite forums. http://www.edcforums.com

Grizz
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

Reject wrote:I suppose mainly because he can. :D

Also if you have to cut something right now, you usually have one hand occupied.
If you are holding something in left hand, you use the right hand and the knife on the right side. If you are holding something in the right hand, you use the left hand and the knife on the left.

Why the same knife? Muscle memory, if your mind is occupied with the task at hand, the last thing you need is to have think about which knife I have. If they are the same knife, it’s not a problem.

Easy! ;)
:cool: What he said!
jylong_away wrote:I carry AIWB - solves all the pocket-content problems! :)
Don't know why I didn't think about that... :o Think I'll give that a shot and if it doesn't work for me I'll just go all plastic whenever I can and throw the change in the car when it's not possible.

Thanks for the replies fellas!