How do you respond to "So why do you spend so much money/have so many knives?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SnowCrash

How do you respond to "So why do you spend so much money/have so many knives?"

Post by SnowCrash »

Sometimes it's hard for me to explain my strange attraction to sharp steels on comfy handles and the feeling of always having a knife on me....usually I just say "Because I like them".

Any better answers that won't make me look like a dweeb, guys?
p3pe

Post by p3pe »

Sorry, I just do not have any explanation for the same "problem" :)
Police3 G10 PE, Civilian G10 SE, Para-Mill 2 PE CF CPM-S90V and Delica FRN VG10 SE + a Catcherman
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

That, and they are useful tools! No better reason to own something I think, form + function.

--
Ben
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My answer is I've bought between 10 and 15 knives to use and find the perfect knife. Of course, the perfect knife came down to two. One small EDC and a larger one for harder tasks. I have a couple that fit both categories. As far as I'm concerned I could sell the others but just don't want to.

Collecting is different. People collect all kinds of things for one reason or another. Coins, stamps, shot glasses, etc. My wife has a glass collection that fills one large china cabinet and three small ones. There always seemed to be another one showing up. Some are cheap, some are not. If she liked something for $1 she'd buy it. I thought that was a good day. :) Sometimes they were more than $1. :eek: I don't even want to remember what we paid for the china cabinets. I used to say I was going to buy a china cabinet to put my tools in. :mad:

I don't think you'll find a coin collector asking a knife collector "why?". They understand even if they hate knives.

Personally, I'm VERY grateful to live in a country where we can be so pathetically foolish. Sometimes I feel guilty. I never give to charities. I have bought a combo meal for the guy with a "work for food" sign from time to time. One had a dog with him and I was going into Wal Mart so I got a small bag of dog food for him. No people food though. That guy was more grateful than anyone I ever bought a burger for. Sorry, didn't mean to change the subject.

Jack
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I have learned (from someone else) a valuable pearl on how to answer awkward / personal questions, such as:

How much money do you make?

How much did you spend on that _______?

Why do you like ___________?

OK... here it is.... READY?? Works like a charm!

Answer the question with:

Why do you ask?(with a smile)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

racer88 wrote:I have learned (from someone else) a valuable pearl on how to answer awkward / personal questions, such as:

How much money do you make?

How much did you spend on that _______?

Why do you like ___________?

OK... here it is.... READY?? Works like a charm!

Answer the question with:

Why do you ask?(with a smile)

I like that. They might have a valid reason for asking like:

Why do you ask?
I need a job and would like to do what you do.

Why do you ask?
I would like to get one if I have enough money.

Why do you ask?
I like it to and wondered why you do.

If they are just prying hopefully they'll leave it alone.

Good answer,
Jack
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

My girlfriend asked me this question today actually. I told her that I like collecting them and building on that collection.

For me the knife represents one of man's fundamental tools and, over the years, I have been looking for a knife that I truly enjoyed using - that was a Spyderco. Since then, I discovered that there are many different model :spyder: s with different designs, uses, locks etc. I like lots of things about them (the lines and design of the Poliwog, the utility of the Delica, the lock on the Manix) and I just want to build a collection of them. Simple as that :o :confused:
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I usually give a silly answer like "all the better to dissect you with", then make a totally straight blank face for a few seconds staring off into space, then walk away mumbling to myself.

They NEVER ask stupid questions again :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

"Because they are awesome?"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I usually give a silly answer like "all the better to dissect you with", then make a totally straight blank face for a few seconds staring off into space, then walk away mumbling to myself.

They NEVER ask stupid questions again :D
But the question begs, would you have contributed to creating a better impression of the knife community in general?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LOL, i said that mainly as a joke, but i've said silly stuff like that to coworkers who know better. Seriously, i usually explain to them that i'm a tinkering kind of person and i value quality tools to tinker with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Depending on the person:

"I'm debt free except for the mortgage, are you?" *

"Obviously, you are not familiar with Spyderco knives."

"Why would you ask such a question?"

Laughing

(* Thanks to Dave Ramsey)
unit

Post by unit »

"I have made some private decisions to give up some things so that I may have others"

Generally, everyone spends money on something that would be hard to justify to someone else. It could be coffee, booze, jewelry, smokes, cars, shoes, cloths, whatever. I have indulged in all of these over the years....so I know. Justifying a piece of gold or diamond on your person is impossible to defend with anything other than "because I like/want it". Justifying a vice that will end your life earlier as is empties your wallet is even tougher!

Another tactic is to not allow people that do not know you very well to know/see what you spend on your collection in the first place. Generally the type of person that wants to harass me about my spending habits is not permitted to know anything about them.

Spending money on a knife is pretty hard to justify when you have a perfectly good one in your pocket already...but if it makes sense to you, why worry with helping anyone else to understand?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:LOL, i said that mainly as a joke, but i've said silly stuff like that to coworkers who know better. Seriously, i usually explain to them that i'm a tinkering kind of person and i value quality tools to tinker with.
My apologies for not getting the joke. :D
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

I usually tell them that it is a hobby just like anything else.

Some people collect coins, stamps, salt and pepper shakers, toasters, spyderco( :D ) .
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Nobody knows and I don't tell them.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I pull my knife on them and say "Give me your wallet, that's why!" LOL
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Kind of along the same lines as Unit's post, I usually reply that it's a healthier use of my cash than spending it on booze and hookers.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I tell my wife that it is for the same reason that she has so many purses.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The way I look at it, EVERYBODY has one or more vices. Collecting Spydies is a lot less harmful to your body, reputation, and mental health than most other vices.

...and they *are* useful tools...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185