Anyone for a CF P'kal Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

The problem with deployment of knives will allways be clothing.
Something you carry on a belt is pretty much useless if you have to dress for cold weather, in a suburban area that is.
With the use of a static line you have more options.
You can carry it loose in a pocket that you have easy excess too and yank it out.
As long as you have something to attach a static line onto, it will work.

Remember the promotional video for the Spyderco P'kal from Shivworks?
Note that the guy has his shirt tucked into his jeans.
Any loose clothing interferes with the opening and locking of the knife.
Ten out of twelve months, that is not a realistic option for me.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The S. Beat and P'kal are completely different knives as mentioned.

CF really only would class it up. In peel-ply it would be almost (if not the same) as g10 in grippiness.

The real question is why add $30 or so to the knife's price? I'd rather see a black blade for the LEO's or a 154cm/BD1 model to save money. Heck, make it hollow ground to save more money.

It's a defensive knife. Cheap steel and HG isn't going to affect that.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I thought about a pkal n cf but it just doesn't work unless you change the blade steel to S90V which would be impractical. Something tells me the pkal isn't where spyderco makes ts money. I do want one but its not on the top of my list. I think it would be a slight financial disaster. Then again people do crave S90V. Haven't missed an S90V spyderco yet. This would definitely make this a $200 knife street price.
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

It would be a cool knife in peel ply.
I do like the idea of a black blade though.
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt
shao.fu.tzer

Old thread...

Post by shao.fu.tzer »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but...
I wonder why there's no love for the P'Kal?
I think it's the reverse-edge method that scares people off...
I personally wield my P'Kal edge out, since this is the way it deploys
anyway, it's not only quicker, but more intuitive to my training.
Not only that, but it feels better in your hand blade out...
I would love to see a sprint run P'kal...
Carbon fiber is nice... So is M4 steel :)
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I think lack of "excitement" is a better descriptor than "love." Obviously enough people buy the knife that it hasn't been discontinued.

I'd be interested in a sprint with the same CF used on the S90V PM2 or similar.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I've always wanted a P'Kal but I can't justify the relatively high price for a knife that would be a dedicated SD only. I've handled one before, and while it feels great in the hand for reverse grip edge in, it's not very well suited to other utility tasks.

So I guess I'm saying I would like one, but not a sprint run that would add cost.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Joe Talmadge wrote:The Street Beat is a disaster in that grip, and even if it weren't, it doesn't have a sheath that supports a draw into that grip...
Huh. I don't have any grip issues holding my Street Beat in Pikal. In fact, it's pretty darn comfy. Your pinky simply curls around and into the deep finger choil and locks against your palm instead of around a full-thickness handle.

As for the draw, you can just have the knife in the standard vertical 3 o'clock position but grab the handle from the top with a thumb cap in a Hammer Grip. Pull it out and you're in Pikal as easy as pie. Tilting the knife handle forward in the stock sheath (which is admittedly a bit lacking but is still far superior to most sheaths supplied with a knife by a maker, custom or production) 45-degrees in the G-Clip only makes this option faster but makes the knife more prone to hooking on things as you go through your day.

The Street Beat certainly isn't optimal when compared to more purpose-driven designs that epically fail as anything but a Grade-A shank, but it's quite workable. Remember, the methodology is very robust and works for a variety of tools that aren't knives or even pointed. It's not going to fall apart if you aren't using a Pikal-driven blade design as your tool.

95% software, 5% hardware... :)
ForealBoreal

Post by ForealBoreal »

i lost my p'kal a few months back.
I am currently working out a deal on one right now.
I miss having one in my pocket.
I feel naked without it.
Looking for: Spyderhawk SE
Looking to move: Rock Salt