Spyderco boxs.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Spyderco boxs.

Post by Reject »

I’m very much a beginner at Spyderco collecting so if this question has been covered just point me in the right direction.

I did do a bit of a search and couldn’t find anything.

When collectors put Spyderco knives up for sale the box is usually included. I noticed one for sale that had a white box, I hadn’t seen one before.

So the question:

Over the years how many different colour boxes has Spyderco used?

Can they be dated to when each one started and stopped being used?

What about the design on box has that changed over the years?

How has it changed and can a date be put to each design change?

:confused: Inquisitive little bugger aren’t I
How much can a Koala bear?
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Good question mate. While we are waiting I have another.
Why is the micarta MINI DYAD box such an unlikely & different box to other spydies ?
O.
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Don't know the dates, but I can only think of 3 box types--the white ones you mentioned are pretty old. Then there are dark kind of gun-metal grey ones that were probably around '05-08ish era, and then the red ones came about in the last few years.

There very well may be more that I don't know of, and I'm sure someone can give way more insight than I have
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

The Mentaculous wrote:Don't know the dates, but I can only think of 3 box types--the white ones you mentioned are pretty old. Then there are dark kind of gun-metal grey ones that were probably around '05-08ish era, and then the red ones came about in the last few years.

There very well may be more that I don't know of, and I'm sure someone can give way more insight than I have
You mean the dark green one with the black web, the second box type,I mean.
thewannabesurvivalist
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

There are white ones, blue ones, grey/green ones and more recently the red/black ones. There are also Spydies that come in pouches only. There may be others but I'm sure some of the senior blokes will chime in. Paul ? Peter ?
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Earilest boxes were solid medium blue with flap ends. They had a white label on one side panel and no other markings.

Solid red, solid white, and solid black boxes, all configured the same as the blue, came after that.

Those four were all used until around 1997 when the white sliding tray box with dark blue or black graphics and a gold :spyder: sticker came into use.

That box lasted until around 2002-2003 when the dark grey sliding tray box with black webbing and gold :spyder: replaced them.

The latest change, about two years ago was to the red and black sliding tray box currently in use.

Recently a rather nice two piece black box with gold :spyder: has been added for the inexpensive slipjoints made in China.

In addition, knives intended for the Japanese home market use a white sliding tray boxes with the Spyderco name and :spyder: in black and Kanji text for everything else.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
zvir

Post by zvir »

Deacon, can you give us a pic af all variation of the boxes? please... :)
rycen

Post by rycen »

We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks, rycen. Great history lesson in pics!

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain boxes from Spyderco---to house some of those "naked Spydies" we get in trades?

Thanks,

Andrew
rycen

Post by rycen »

You may be able to call and ask for a recent box.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

ozspyder wrote:... but I'm sure some of the senior blokes will chime in. Paul ? Peter ?
LOL, my first thought thougt was: Where is Mary? :D

Well, I have a lot of different boxes Spyderco used in the past and currently. For a long time I take the proper collection of data in a spreadsheet up, but it's still in process. For the detail freak I am :rolleyes: , it's important to know the time line, what boxes were used in what year. I have to many knives and to many boxes, it's Sisyphean task.

I see The Deacon and rycon did a good job in this thread. Fellows, well done!

As soon as I finish reorganization of my Spydies (each knife will come back in original box), I will post pictures.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Peter1960 wrote:LOL, my first thought thougt was: Where is Mary? :D

Well, I have a lot of different boxes Spyderco used in the past and currently. For a long time I take the proper collection of data in a spreadsheet up, but it's still in process. For the detail freak I am :rolleyes: , it's important to know the time line, what boxes were used in what year. I have to many knives and to many boxes, it's Sisyphean task.

I see The Deacon and rycon did a good job in this thread. Fellows, well done!

As soon as I finish reorganization of my Spydies (each knife will come back in original box), I will post pictures.
Problem with dating Peter, is that there's a lot of overlap. Most recent example had the grey boxes and the new red/black boxes being used simultaneously for a while. And that's not ust because dealers were selling older stock. checked once, and have some grey boxes with later date codes than some of my red/black ones. At the other end of the scale, of the four solid color boxes, I'm fairly sure the white one was the last, and suspect the black may be next in line, but I'm only guessing as to whether the blue or the red came first, based on boxes I have and the models they contained. What I am sure of is that all of them were used more or less interchangeably during the mid-nineties.
Paul
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

AJF wrote:Thanks, rycen. Great history lesson in pics!

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain boxes from Spyderco---to house some of those "naked Spydies" we get in trades?

Thanks,

Andrew
Sometimes you see people on the forums offering to give away Spydie boxes. You could also try making a "looking for" thread on one of the forums that allow knife sales, such as knife-bst.com or bladeforums.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

AJF wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain boxes from Spyderco
i've asked this couple times. never really got a straight answer if spyderco does this. my theory is they tend to stay away from it. im sure it would have gotten to a point where they just cant do it anymore. word would get out and they be wamped by a million request. then the sellers would start asking for boxes and maybe even sku stickers.

i guess they could do blank new red ones. as long as people don't go crazy they may give them away. i dont know how much they cost but maybe they could sell them as accessories. i for one would love to buy some. i save all boxes now but i have at least a dozen right now that are without a box. you think that could be possible? everyone would buy empties to keep knives safer.

edit: contibute to the thread. white japanese version and early ladybug. :)
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I wish they would go back to the Gray boxes.I just got a digi Camo Military today and had to scrub it with alcohol pads to get the red off the scales.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
zvir

Post by zvir »

MANY THANKS for a lot of pics!!!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I know you are inquiring about the cardboard boxes but for informational purposes there were also some limited pieces that came in wooden display boxes and jewelry/watch type boxes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SteelDragon wrote:I know you are inquiring about the cardboard boxes but for informational purposes there were also some limited pieces that came in wooden display boxes and jewelry/watch type boxes.
True. To take that even a bit further, at least in the case of the WTC knife, the knife came in a regular Spyderco knife box and the wooden display box in a separate white corrugated cardboard box. In the case of the jewelry boxes, they always came in an outer, generally white, cardboard box.
Paul
oldmandon

Post by oldmandon »

The Deacon wrote:True. To take that even a bit further, at least in the case of the WTC knife, the knife came in a regular Spyderco knife box and the wooden display box in a separate white corrugated cardboard box. In the case of the jewelry boxes, they always came in an outer, generally white, cardboard box.
Yup. My 25th Anniversary Delica with beautiful wooden box came in a cardboard outer box when purchased. Love that knife!
So many Spydies, so little time . . .
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) Thanks for all responses and in such great detail.
Consider my Spyder-cation while still at its beginning a little bit more advanced than it was before.
How much can a Koala bear?