Some pinned knives now have screwed pivots?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Some pinned knives now have screwed pivots?

Post by Fred Sanford »

Hey folks,

I didn't want to hi-jack another thread so I copied the post out here.
cgjones wrote:I have a few newer Pacific Salts and both the pivot and rocker bar pins have been replaced with screws.

So seeing this picture is this an aftermarket mod or is Spyderco now starting to slowly move some of the pinned pivot models over to screwed adjustable pivots?

Thanks!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Samwise

Post by Samwise »

Yeah, they're moving all the Salts to adjustable pivots.

I believe it started with the orange Ladybug Salt.
Spydie Count: :spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer
toms65

Post by toms65 »

my ladybug salt, newly purchased of course also has the pivot screw, glad to hear there making some minor changes, for the better, spyderco rocks!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it beats me having to throw the knife into a vice and squeeze the pin just enough but not too much. i think it is a great change.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just ordered a Salt 1 about a week ago and it has a pin :(
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That's great to hear. Yet another improvement. I'm gonna have to call knifeworks.com and see what they have in stock with a pivot screw instead of a pin. :)

Thanks folks!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Freediver wrote:I just ordered a Salt 1 about a week ago and it has a pin :(
Where did you get it?
I've been holding off on an order thinking for sure the updated Salts are out.

When I called Spydie, a customer service rep was unaware of the change.

BTW: Does anyone think that the pinned models might be preferable? The rep said there were no extra screws available, which left me puzzled.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Samwise wrote:Yeah, they're moving all the Salts to adjustable pivots.

I believe it started with the orange Ladybug Salt.
IFAIR, it started with the brown Matriarch sprint run.

Reason is lower manufacturing costs due to faster assembly and less reject due to overtightened rivets during production.

I think Sal mentionied that the faster allembly was needed because of big order volumes (military).

Dennis
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

I think the pinned model might be preferable in situations where you might not be able to perform routine maintenance for some reason. Like thru-hiking the AT or climbing Everest or similar activities.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I like the idea of converting pinned models over to screwed pivots.But would it be a disadvantage with the salt models?Screws corroding perhaps?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lord vader wrote:I like the idea of converting pinned models over to screwed pivots.But would it be a disadvantage with the salt models?Screws corroding perhaps?
While I'm among those who prefer the simplicity and reliability of riveted construction, I'd be inclined to think Spyderco would be using screws with no greater potential for rusting than the rivets they're replacing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

The Deacon wrote:While I'm among those who prefer the simplicity and reliability of riveted construction, I'd be inclined to think Spyderco would be using screws with no greater potential for rusting than the rivets they're replacing.
I didn`t think of it that way.Thanks deacon, you are the voice of reason. :)
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Any other changes in the Salts besides going from pins to screws?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

I view the screws as an improvement for the simple reasons that damaged blades can be replaced, and off center blades can be centered.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

marlinspike wrote:I view the screws as an improvement for the simple reasons that damaged blades can be replaced, and off center blades can be centered.
Spyderco has never sold blades for any of their knives which use screws. Am curious as to why you think they'd start doing that now.
Paul
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Awesome change.
My Pac Salt has uncorrectable side to side play while my Spyderhawk is like a bank-vault. You just never know with pins. They're a hassle to adjust, and sometimes cant be adjusted, i.e. my Pac Salt.
JBE

Post by JBE »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco has never sold blades for any of their knives which use screws. Am curious as to why you think they'd start doing that now.
I think what he means that if the knife has to be sent in for blade replacement, then it becomes a lot easier to do so at the factory.

I had started a thread asking this same question a week or two ago and apprently it is a rolling change being implemented by Spyderco on at least some of their pinned models. I just purchased a brand-new black-bladed Pacific that has the new screw construction.

I view this change positively as it now allows users to adjust the blade tension to their individual liking. I see another plus with this as well, as the blade can be removed to more effectively clean-out the pivot area, something that has always aggravated those with pin-fastened handles and blades in the past.
Jason
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JBE wrote:I think what he means that if the knife has to be sent in for blade replacement, then it becomes a lot easier to do so at the factory.
Again though, Spyderco's normal response to that, assuming it was a warranty issue and the model was still in production, would be to send the person a new knife. If it was not a warranty issue, they'd either regrind the blade or tell the customer the knife was beyond repair.
Paul
awlriteeden

Post by awlriteeden »

Those of you who have the newer screw pivots: Did the knives come from the factory with any kind of thread sealant? Every Endura/Delica 4 and Stretch I've had did not, and the pivot screw would back out with repeated openings and closings. One knife I had, even had the lockbar pivot screw back out and fall off. This only seems to affect the Seki-made FRN models in my experience.

I can see this being an issue with users who expect a maintenance free knife, or at least a knife that didn't require the user to apply loctite right away as a preventative measure.
marlinspike

Post by marlinspike »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco has never sold blades for any of their knives which use screws. Am curious as to why you think they'd start doing that now.

I was thinking more in the case of sending in a knife for repair. BM will replace a blade. Does Spyderco not?
The Deacon wrote:Again though, Spyderco's normal response to that, assuming it was a warranty issue and the model was still in production, would be to send the person a new knife. If it was not a warranty issue, they'd either regrind the blade or tell the customer the knife was beyond repair.
Saw this reply after posting my reply. Wow. Disappointing to hear that. I guess that's part of why BMs cost more.