Comparison request: Dragonfly2 and Byrd Robin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
picobrain

Comparison request: Dragonfly2 and Byrd Robin

Post by picobrain »

Greetings fellow Spydie enthusiasts.
I would like to see some pictures and read any comments comparing
the new Dragonfly2 and any models of the Byrd Robin.

Thank You
Peace
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I have both the Robin and Dragonfly, with G-10 handles. I had the Byrd first to use as an inexpensive knife when I travel to places with under 3" limits (such as CA). It's really an impressive knife for the money, and if some sticky-fingered TSA person makes off with it I can easily replace it. Then the G-10 Dragonfly came out...I don't know if it's just me but it just feels higher quality (even though I really dislike FG-colored handles). I now take the Dragonfly on all road trips and take the Robin when I fly. For European travel to places like the UK, I just bought an Urban leaf G-10 (again FG, sigh, but what the heck). You really wouldn't go wrong with either the Robin or the Dragonfly (or both!).
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

They are very close in size. Here are a couple quick pics of a G-10 Robin and a Dragonfly 2.

:bug-red-white
syphen

Post by syphen »

Anyone have the new Robin 2 to compare yet? Blade shape looks more dragonfly-esque.

I've ordered it in G-10 scales and will be able to compare it later this week to Dfly 1 and Dfly 2.
Too many Spydies to list!
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I have the Stainless Steel Robin 2 and it came with a rough edge. It was easy to touch up though. There was significant blade play but not enough to disturb the performance of the knife.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Okay.. Finally got my Robin 2 G-10 to compare with my Dfly 1 and Dfly 2.

I'm not a professional photographer and it shows :) Sorry guys..
Overall, I like the new Robin 2 G-10... it came with quite a lot of side to side play. I tightened the pivot to the point where there is no play but it is no longer flick-able open. I'm hoping that just time and playing with it will loosen it up! Still a great knife. I always liked the Dragonflies for their size and EDC-ability in an office environment. The Byrd offers a cheap alternative and I have a thing for G-10 right now. Win-Win for me.
Too many Spydies to list!