Sage 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

Sage 3?

Post by casey1 »

New here... Just a few questions...
The Sage 3 will be here in a month right?
I've heard it's a bolt action lock... so...
Will it be a gravity knife according to legal standards?
Just wondering what it'll be and if anyone knows all that yet... the dealbreaker is whether it's a legal knife to carry...
Thanks!
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

wouldnt think there would be much difference in the blades movement than say the manix2 or a benchmade axis.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It isn't one. But given the creative definitions some jurisdictions have adopted with regard to what they consider to be a gravity knife, I'm certain some of them will label it as one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Welcome aboard! The Sage 3 will be here when it gets here. ;) Hopefully that will be this month, but sometimes things happen.

Will it be a "gravity knife"? No. Absolutely not. Will it be a "gravity knife" under some of the twisted interpretations of the term in use in some places? Probably. It seems some places call it a "gravity knife" if it falls when you let go of it. If the actual question is "will it be possible to flip the knife open without touching the blade?" the answer will have to wait until they come out. The original knife they were working from was not very flickable, although some people could probably manage it with enough effort.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
casey1

Post by casey1 »

so if I tightened it super tight (I hate any bladeplay), I'd be safe? I'm probably not gonna get it till next march anyways... just wondering
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Where do you live?
Paul
casey1

Post by casey1 »

Colorado. Go to a school in South Carolina where the only rule is 3 inches :) but i wanna use it at home too

Edit: since CO defines a"knife" as something over 3.5 inches, I should be able to carry it! Right? It can not be a gravity knife if it is not a knife first... is that correct?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Severely doubt you'd have any problems with it being considered a gravity knife in either of those states, or any of the ones you'd normally travel through between them. New York City is the only place in the USA where any Spyderco, aside from the autos and balisongs, might be considered one. As far as I know, knives with blades 3.5" long or less are legal to carry in Colorado.
Paul
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

casey1 wrote:Colorado. Go to a school in South Carolina where the only rule is 3 inches :) but i wanna use it at home too

Edit: since CO defines a"knife" as something over 3.5 inches, I should be able to carry it! Right? It can not be a gravity knife if it is not a knife first... is that correct?
Yea SC!! I hope you are not a Cock. I f so then you need to leave this forum immediately.
casey1

Post by casey1 »

not a cock... haha actually go to BJU
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I live in NC and I think it will be legal to carry. I just pr-ordered one from KC whether it's legal for me to carry or not. Can't wait for it to get here! :D :D
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

casey1 wrote:not a cock... haha actually go to BJU
What University is that?
Bob Jones in Greenville?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

This is going to be an interesting knife. The descriptions from earlier this year, and the picture in the catalog, suggest some comparisons with another lock. ;) It'll be interesting to see how they compare in real life.
casey1

Post by casey1 »

Yep. Bob Jones. I actually don't like the sage 3 after the pic in the catalog... the blue is too light I think... might opt for a caly 3 instead